Puff balls

Walker570

Correct Identification

There is one good way to tell puffballs apart from its poisonous look-a-likes, you must cut the mushroom in half from top to bottom.  The inside of edible puffball mushrooms should be pure white, like a marshmallow, or like fresh mozzarella balls, there should be no patterns, or marks or colors or anything other than pure white, and especially no signs of gills.  If you follow this one rule you should be able to enjoy mushroom hunting for puffball mushrooms without worry.  Not all puffballs are edible, and not all are edible at all stages, but if you stick with the rule of pure white inside then you will only be eating edible puffballs. You can buy spores for edible puffballs HERE, These species are synonymous with Calvatia gigantea but are referred to by a different scientific name.

Had a quick look on youtube and one seemingly good idea was to make a cheese sandwich with two 1/4 inch slices dip in beaten egg...maybe a bit of seasoning and bread crumbs and fry until nicely brown.  I have one here and will give that idea go. Yes mine is perfectly white all the way through.  I will report on what the resulting taste was.  I might just sprinkle some of that Tony C's Cajun mix in the breadcrumbs.

Well this morning I picked up a relatively fresh puffball about 6 inches in diameter.  I cut out the root area and sliced two thin slices..1/4 inch ... I then sliced some nice smelly chees thinly and laid this on the puff ball slices. I then broke one egg in a bowl and whicked it up adding a light sprinkle of Tony C's Cajun mix.  Big *** of butter in the skillet and having soaked the puff ball slices and a cheese in the egg, I placed them onto the sizzling butter. Turned them three or four times to check and when they where a real nice crisp brown, I flipped them onto a hot plate.   All I can say is....AWESOME.  I am sure that those amongst you are more than capable of mixing up some additives but Tony C's Cajun mix takes a lot of beating for anyhting and everyhting and my friend in USA says they will likely put it on their ice cream.  

Choose a relatively small..6inch...puffball, which has not been attacked in any way.  Cut out the base and root area and slice 1/4 inch thick, then peel off the skin .... easier done when sliced than befoe hand. Comes off easy.   Fry until the cheese starts to exude from the sides of the puffball and the whole sandwich is a nice deep golden brown. 

Next time I will add some chopped smokey bacon..pre fried..to the cheese. I think that would make a very moresome breakfast.

• 4 weeks later...