any welsh speakers

mel b3

hiya guys ,

Im in need of the welsh translation for "light" as in " light switch" . ive made a wooden light switch surround to go into our woodland den , and id like to pyrograph the word onto it in Welsh and English.

ive already done the translator thingy , and it just turned up too many variants of the word , so hopefully , one of the welsh speaking guys can put me right please .

thanks in anticipation guys.:good: 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, mel b3 said:

hiya guys ,

Im in need of the welsh translation for "light" as in " light switch" . ive made a wooden light switch surround to go into our woodland den , and id like to pyrograph the word onto it in Welsh and English.

ive already done the translator thingy , and it just turned up too many variants of the word , so hopefully , one of the welsh speaking guys can put me right please .

thanks in anticipation guys.:good: 

hello, cant help with that mel but i like that phrase WOODLAND DEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 

6 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Technically as Welsh is an ancient language there shouldn't be a genuinely Welsh term for light switch. As you are probably aware, what the Welsh do in these situations is basically make one up  Its probably a flicky clicky or something similar.

this is the conclusion that ive arrived at , ive named that language wenglish , its sort of english but with a windsor davies accent. 

3 minutes ago, Ricko said:

'Golladau' springs to mind, a relic of my upbringing and schooling in North Wales. I'll have to check.

'Golau' I stand corrected.

both of those were variants that we found , that fitted ,  but didnt seem to quite fit at the same time  , when i say didnt fit , i mean if you add the word switch , or put them into a sentence , the word can change. welsh is very very confusing , but it may well be as vince said , or its more than likely just me not being able to get my head around it.

im trying to get it bang on , as at some point , a welsh speaker might see it , and id like it respectfully correct.

thankyou for the replies guys , your input is very much appreciated.:good:

14 minutes ago, figgy said:

Could you not translate bringer of light. Bit more fitting than switch.

That's a cracking idea ,but I reckon bringer of light in Welsh would need a light surround of at least two feet wide 😆

45 minutes ago, Duckandswing said:

My lads first language is welsh and he says Golau. Light switch is apparently “Switch Golau”- makes me laugh

It looks like that's the one , another pw member in Wales , has just asked a local Welsh speaker and got the same answer.

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to find the answer for me fellas , your efforts are very much appreciated 👍

Ps, I did have notions of learning a little bit of the Welsh language,  but it soon became apparent that I don't have the brain or the tongue for it 😕.

I can speak a teeny bit of Welsh because I helped a family member do a GCSE in Welsh. Its becoming more necessary  to have it if you want to get a lot of jobs like teacher or nurse once you cross the border. 

Just now, wyn said:

It could also depend on what part of Wales the light switch is in.

You can get differences in languague between north wales and south wales.

That's the same as between North and South England

1 hour ago, wyn said:

It could also depend on what part of Wales the light switch is in.

You can get differences in languague between north wales and south wales.

Now that's just thrown another spanner into the works 😆, we're sort of mid Wales,  so i hope we've got it covered.

10 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

Go for the word illumimator =  Goleuwr

Or  Y Goleuwr lampau = The Lamp lighter

Now those I like very much, they'd look very nice in some kind of Celtic script ( is welsh script an actual thing ?), I can see that I'm going to need to make a bigger light switch surround .

Wales, Mmmm a very funny part of the land, the North dont get on with the South, the South don't get on with the North, and mid Wales don't get on with either North or South. 

I used to travel round the cattle markets, with a cousin buying and selling calves, you would walk into the pup early morning (normal meeting place in the market towns)speaking English, the same as all the others in there, they would then start jibbering away in Welsh. The wagon driver was a man mountain with hands like shovels, he'd just tell them not to be so rude, (in Welsh, with a French twist I assume)  

They did stop teaching it in schools years ago, but they had started again some 20+ years ago I think it was. 

Light switch translation,  just spit a bit lot of throat clearing noises. Won't be far off. 

Which reminds me of a pub in Blaenau Ffestiniog years ago.

I asked the landlord the directions to the "ty bach", he pointed towards the back and mentioned there was no light in there.

When I got back to the bar I asked the landlord why there was a car in the toilet.

"You , you  in the garage"

1 minute ago, Aled said:

Blimey the one PW thread I can really make a contribution to and I missed it!

Well you got the correct translation which is the important thing.

Cheers

Aled

Don't worry aled,  you're not too late , I also need a translation for water 😆.