any welsh speakers

mel b3

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

When lamping over the border with my welsh mates - mid wales so neither dirty north Waleian or poor south waleian - anything could be made to sound welsh by adding iau to the end. Frequently heard from the truck was 'Dim Foxiau' no fox 😂

Dirty?!

2 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

Dont worry about water they dont drink it, it just falls from the sky...all the bloody time! You know its simmer because the rain warms up a bit!

You clearly don’t visit during summer....

At least in Wales they put the Welsh name second on the street signs, In Scotland they put the Celtic name first so when approaching a roundabout and trying to scan through about fifteen Celtic names while braking down and dealing with the idiot behind you trying to race with you, its more confusing and potentially more dangerous.

Also my Cousin who lives north of Aberdeen tells me that the street signs are in the wrong language anyway. They spoke a different language up there.  

As we're on the subject of the Welsh language, could anyone please put me right in the translation of a house I once lived in called 'Bryn Glas'. I was told that it meant 'Blue Mountain' which seemed fairly logical. Was this correct ?

Thanks for any replies.

OB

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

As we're on the subject of the Welsh language, could anyone please put me right in the translation of a house I once lived in called 'Bryn Glas'. I was told that it meant 'Blue Mountain' which seemed fairly logical. Was this correct ?

Thanks for any replies.

OB

Or blue hill...

1 hour ago, Tad-blody said:

Blue Hill is a direct translation, but, glas can also mean green especially if it's pertaining to grass. For example grass is called Glaswellt with the wellt derived from Gwellt = Straw and the Glas in this instance means a healthy green colour.

How does the north Wales and south wales language differ ?, is it a completely different language , or are things just pronounced differently?  . I think that makes sense .???

I wouldn't go as far as completely different but there is quite a bit of difference really, I'm OK with both versions.

My parents though had friends in mid Wales near Welshpool and when the lady re-married a local chap I would have to translate between dad and him both ways as neither could understand what the other was on about, lol.

I suppose some common differences would be 

Milk - Llaeth down here, Llefrith up there

Sweets - Losin down here, Fferins  up there.

Like in other languages there are local dialects and accents, and words that are only used locally. This is not unusual. However I think these days the differences are less marked as they once were! Well in my opinion anyway....maybe S4C has a lot to answer for...:rolleyes:

Cheers

Aled

Edited by Aled

23 minutes ago, Tad-blody said:

I wouldn't go as far as completely different but there is quite a bit of difference really, I'm OK with both versions.

My parents though had friends in mid Wales near Welshpool and when the lady re-married a local chap I would have to translate between dad and him both ways as neither could understand what the other was on about, lol.

I suppose some common differences would be 

Milk - Llaeth down here, Llefrith up there

Sweets - Losin down here, Fferins  up there.

My dream of learning a little bit of the Welsh language has just slipped further away lol.

My house used to be called Ffynnonwherw or Ffynnon-wherw depending on which map you look at right up to mid last century. Wherw apparently doesn't make sense to most Welsh speakers and doesn't google. I was told by some Welsh buff that under certain grammatical conditions, that word does make sense and means "forbidden" or "bitter" so the house name translates as forbidden fountain, or bitter spring.

Can anyone please confirm that? Thanks. 

54 minutes ago, WelshMike said:

I think we have missed one key fact....we dont have electricity in wales so what is a light switch.....Is that a candle snuffer 

You will do as soon as I get this switch sorted 😆.

6 hours ago, walshie said:

My house used to be called Ffynnonwherw or Ffynnon-wherw depending on which map you look at right up to mid last century. Wherw apparently doesn't make sense to most Welsh speakers and doesn't google. I was told by some Welsh buff that under certain grammatical conditions, that word does make sense and means "forbidden" or "bitter" so the house name translates as forbidden fountain, or bitter spring.

Can anyone please confirm that? Thanks. 

Ffynnon is correct spring or fountain.

Chwerw is bitter, I would expect it to mutate to werw, I've no explanation for the  'h' after the 'w'

I reckon that your previous advisor is on the money.

What have you changed the name to? bearing in mind that you've removed the safety warning about the water, lol.

7 hours ago, Tad-blody said:

Ffynnon is correct spring or fountain.

Chwerw is bitter, I would expect it to mutate to werw, I've no explanation for the  'h' after the 'w'

I reckon that your previous advisor is on the money.

What have you changed the name to? bearing in mind that you've removed the safety warning about the water, lol.

Thanks. :good:We didn't change the name. A new owner changed it sometime just after WW2. I just wondered as I saw the name on some old deeds and on an old O.S map,

FW.jpg.069aa474475be00e2834f565d8601c74.jpg

We do actually have our own water supply here and it hasn't done me any harm yet.....argh....uhhh.. 

Edited by walshie

2 hours ago, walshie said:

Thanks. :good:We didn't change the name. A new owner changed it sometime just after WW2. I just wondered as I saw the name on some old deeds and on an old O.S map,

FW.jpg.069aa474475be00e2834f565d8601c74.jpg

We do actually have our own water supply here and it hasn't done me any harm yet.....argh....uhhh.. 

You should be able to go to your local and say "Peint o chwerw os gwelwch yn dda" you'll have just ordered a pint of bitter and I wonder whether it means that it was the water source for brewing for the area?

13 minutes ago, Tad-blody said:

You should be able to go to your local and say "Peint o chwerw os gwelwch yn dda" you'll have just ordered a pint of bitter and I wonder whether it means that it was the water source for brewing for the area?

I "should" be able to, but S'mae and diolch is the limit of my pub Welsh at the moment. 

Good shout on the brewing angle. I'll try to investigate further. 

Edited by walshie

18 hours ago, mel b3 said:

My dream of learning a little bit of the Welsh language has just slipped further away lol.

Try these which from the little I know about you might be personalised.

Lledr - Leather.

Gweithwraig Lledr - Leather worker (feminine form)

http://geiriadur.uwtsd.ac.uk/index.php?page=ateb&term=leather&type=all&direction=ew&whichpart=exact&submit=Search

This might help with pronounciation.