any welsh speakers

mel b3

2 hours ago, Tad-blody said:

Try these which from the little I know about you might be personalised.

Lledr - Leather.

Gweithwraig Lledr - Leather worker (feminine form)

http://geiriadur.uwtsd.ac.uk/index.php?page=ateb&term=leather&type=all&direction=ew&whichpart=exact&submit=Search

This might help with pronounciation.

Thank you very much chief . Her good self has found a site that also gives Welsh pronunciations πŸ‘.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

Thank you very much chief . Her good self has found a site that also gives Welsh pronunciations πŸ‘.

You're welcome.

The only trip hazard you have is that frequently the words reverse position as inΒ Gweithwraig Lledr - Leather worker and Swyddfa Post - Post Office as two examples.

Oh and the original Light Switch - Swits Golau.

If your stuck D.M. me.

Edited by Tad-blody
memory loss.

14 hours ago, ant1 said:

hi mel it is nice to hear that you want to try and learn some welsh. start with the small words first.Β example1 LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH.

😲 light and water was a struggle. Β I was speaking to the woodland neighbour yesterday and I mentioned this thread ,she said the same as one of the previous posters , that if the Welsh don't have a word for something, they just make a word up , she said that microwave oven was poppdyping ( that's what it sounded like to me),and that if you're unsure of a word ,just add io at the end πŸ˜†.Β 

10 hours ago, TaxiDriver said:

I've heard that microwave is poppty ping,   hope that's of some help when you get to the kitchen/galley area 😁

No microwave at the woodland as we only use 12v (I do occasionally use a 240 v inverter in the car to charge drill batteries etc), food is either cooked on the gas stove , or I bbq it . I'll soon be making a fire pit (from an old propane bottle ), and hopefully I'll be able to use that for most of the cooking . Mmmmm I can already taste that oak smoked flavourπŸ˜†.

Just read through this and it made me smile.

we recently moved to wales, and I also fantasised about learning welsh. No chance!

out place is called Rhyd y Wrach.

translates Rhyd as fford or crossing

and Wrach asΒ witch, old hag, or wise woman.

so we’ve settled on witches crossing which I think is quite nice :)

On β€Ž08β€Ž/β€Ž09β€Ž/β€Ž2019 at 20:51, TaxiDriver said:

I've heard that microwave is poppty ping,   hope that's of some help when you get to the kitchen/galley area 😁

They make up a lot of words like that in Wales, I heard it as pingy ponger in the past

The Cornish (well some of them) are getting very militant about their language now, wanting it to be taught in schools, street signs etc.

The thing is its much less of a living language than Welsh, only about 200 actual speakers and most of them will be a good age. Even then not all of them can converse with each other, such are the regional differences. So if they do revive it they will be making most of it up..

Edited by Vince Green