Will Sunday The 1st Be A Early Start For You ??

marsh man

Another one of the silly out dated laws where in some counties you can start the wild fowling season on a Sunday and in other counties you have got to wait till Monday ( us included )

A rough shoot I hired for a number of years had a River run round part of the boundary between Norfolk / Suffolk , the river was only about 30yds across and our side was in Norfolk , so the boys could shoot there side on a Sunday and we couldn't on our side .

Also where I worked we had five flight ponds , if we wanted to shoot on a Sunday ( which we didn't ) we had two that were in Suffolk that would had been legal to shoot wild fowl and the one across the minor road we couldn't , it would had been possible to shoot a duck in one county and pick it up in another one .

Still , back to the first day , Will you be out Sunday , if you are allowed , or do you leave it till Monday .

Whatever day , or when you do make a start , Have a good season and above all stay SAFE .

31 minutes ago, Kalahari said:

We can't shoot here on a Sunday. The rule is stupid seeing the county boundaries are defined as those of the early 50s. Who can remember where those were?

David.

I agree David , the laws are vastly outdated , our boundary have been moved a few times over the years , at one time we had a pub in Gorleston on sea when part of Gorleston was in Suffolk , believe this or not , half the pub was in Norfolk and the other half was in Suffolk , in those days you had last orders at 10.30pm on a Sunday and in the other county it was 11.00pm , there used to be a brass plate on the wall that said the pub was in two counties but I think the pub like many others is pulled down .

We used to walk on a Sunday afternoon along the estuary wall until we came to a lane that went to the pump house , this lane was the boundary between the two counties , so on paper you could shoot fowl one side and not the other , not that to many fowler's paid to much attention to it , that was over 50 years ago , now it would be a different matter .

Just now, aga man said:

I don't shoot many duck nowadays. Only ever inland flight splashes when i did but many of the ducks i am seeing here are still very young birds, perhaps a while off being ready to shoot?

Funny you should say that about young duck , today I popped out to the main farm on the estate and there is a nice pond that have got a mature weeping Willow on a little island in the middle , there are around 30 / 40 resident Mallard on there and today there was a brood that couldn't have been more that 2 / 3 weeks old , also during the 30 odd years I worked there you would hardly ever see it dried out , now this year there is only a little water left and if we don't get any rain soon it will dry out completely , no one had ever known it to be that dry in September , which is in a few days time  

33 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

I'll have a look out, theres a few fully grown birds about. More to stretch the legs and see the sunrise and watch the season in

The last 2 / 3 years I went the first morning that was more or less the same reason I went for , we no longer had Barley stubble's on the marshes and I knew where most of the broods of duck were , these were safe from me for at least another month, and now we no longer put any Partridges down I can carry on shooting Pigeons well into the season so now I don't think about fowling till the Pinks arrive and the duck are in full plumage .

39 minutes ago, Ttfjlc said:

I bet the Mozzies hope people venture out, I was pest controlling the other night and they attacked with a vengeance after the Thunderstorm had passed. 

I went down the marsh over the Bank holiday around 8 . 30 to see what was about , it seem the clouds of midges were at eye level and I was there main meal for the evening , either I am getting like an anti dope to them or the bite don't effect me no more but when I got home I was free from bites and lumps on my head and arms , maybe they had dined on other victims before me :lol:

12 hours ago, marsh man said:

The last 2 / 3 years I went the first morning that was more or less the same reason I went for , we no longer had Barley stubble's on the marshes and I knew where most of the broods of duck were , these were safe from me for at least another month, and now we no longer put any Partridges down I can carry on shooting Pigeons well into the season so now I don't think about fowling till the Pinks arrive and the duck are in full plumage .

I went down the marsh over the Bank holiday around 8 . 30 to see what was about , it seem the clouds of midges were at eye level and I was there main meal for the evening , either I am getting like an anti dope to them or the bite don't effect me no more but when I got home I was free from bites and lumps on my head and arms , maybe they had dined on other victims before me 

I'd imagine the flight will consist of getting eaten alive by mozzies,maybe a nap, drinking a flask of soup or coffee (whatever is in the cupboard) watch the sunrise then perhaps off for a breakfast, home by the time the misses has had enough of the little un running riot 😂

At one time when the season was only 48hrs away we would be planing the first morning like a military operation , the first thing over a pint of beer we discussed was where everyone was going , I say everyone because the wise ones wont let on and a pint of old would loosen the tongue of the new recruits  , the reason was , if you had done all your home work you knew where you were likely to get a few shots and you didn't want every Tom Dixk and Harry  to know as well .

This was only friendly rivalry because you knew the old hands wont let on neither , if the 1st was on a weekday we could easily go for the morning flight and be back home in good time to go to work and then go for the evening flight and end up having a late tea , for most of my life the 1st was something special and was looked forward to weeks in advance , now sadly it don't no longer have the same appeal , but that's not to say I wont get up a bit earlier than I normally do and try and have a yarn with the chaps on the way back who still like to christen the first morning  :good:

Thankfully for those who are going in the morning the weather should be a bit cooler than of late , by all means take on any fowl that is worthy of a shot , but PLEASE go easy on late broods if you are walking up the dykes or drains , all the best for the season and I hope you all have a good start:good:

Cheers Marsh man. I usually look forward to the start of the season like a child waiting for Christmas. Due to a couple of poor years with earthworks and altering the sea levels local to our marsh. I'm just hoping to see some ducks.

Edited by figgy