Will Sunday The 1st Be A Early Start For You ??

marsh man

After not missing 20 firsts on the trot I never usually bothered this past 5 or 6 years and hold out until October. I hadn't any intention of going out this morning until at last minute opportunity arose as herself and the children went to her mothers for a sleepover as she needed watching. I wasn't planning anything serious and was more interested in getting the young dog out whom is refusing to settle down. I left the big fowling gun in the cabinet and grabbed the old Baikal S/S and a belt full cartridges. What a horrendous "Well actually" great fowling weather. Torrential rain showers and a good stiff breeze and water everywhere on the sloblands. I passed a few cars parked up at the entrances to the fields but I was heading for the brackish basin which turned out to be full to the gills with water.

My first shot of the morning was at a pair of Mallard which came on perfect and I got a rude shock when I pulled the trigger and both barrels went off simultaneously with 36grms of No4 in each barrel. The gun nearly jumped out of my hands and the ducks flew on. The gun was soaking wet and I put it down to my hand accidently slipping and pulling both triggers. This was not the case as it happened two more times. I think there may be some gunk in the triggers.

I took a nice duck which ended up in a nice retrieve for the young dog as it dived a few times but he managed to get it after a few head submerges under the water. Another pair of duck came head on  and I picked the bird in front and fired and again both barrels went off but the duck fell and made an almighty splash. I sent the boy but he decided to act the ******** and wouldn't bring it to hand,instead running about with it in his mouth. I had this trouble with him on the dummys but got it corrected by putting in lots of time. I eventually got it off him and it turned out to be a hen shoveler. I took a screamer of mallard flying past at speed and waded out and retrieved it myself and made him sit and watch. I packed up but could really have shot more but I was content enough to see in another 1st. I intend to get stuck in this season as I have had a few very quite seasons of late and I have to get on top of this dog which is proving to be hard work.Enjoy the season everyone 

7 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

After not missing 20 firsts on the trot I never usually bothered this past 5 or 6 years and hold out until October. I hadn't any intention of going out this morning until at last minute opportunity arose as herself and the children went to her mothers for a sleepover as she needed watching. I wasn't planning anything serious and was more interested in getting the young dog out whom is refusing to settle down. I left the big fowling gun in the cabinet and grabbed the old Baikal S/S and a belt full cartridges. What a horrendous "Well actually" great fowling weather. Torrential rain showers and a good stiff breeze and water everywhere on the sloblands. I passed a few cars parked up at the entrances to the fields but I was heading for the brackish basin which turned out to be full to the gills with water.

My first shot of the morning was at a pair of Mallard which came on perfect and I got a rude shock when I pulled the trigger and both barrels went off simultaneously with 36grms of No4 in each barrel. The gun nearly jumped out of my hands and the ducks flew on. The gun was soaking wet and I put it down to my hand accidently slipping and pulling both triggers. This was not the case as it happened two more times. I think there may be some gunk in the triggers.

I took a nice duck which ended up in a nice retrieve for the young dog as it dived a few times but he managed to get it after a few head submerges under the water. Another pair of duck came head on  and I picked the bird in front and fired and again both barrels went off but the duck fell and made an almighty splash. I sent the boy but he decided to act the ******** and wouldn't bring it to hand,instead running about with it in his mouth. I had this trouble with him on the dummys but got it corrected by putting in lots of time. I eventually got it off him and it turned out to be a hen shoveler. I took a screamer of mallard flying past at speed and waded out and retrieved it myself and made him sit and watch. I packed up but could really have shot more but I was content enough to see in another 1st. I intend to get stuck in this season as I have had a few very quite seasons of late and I have to get on top of this dog which is proving to be hard work.Enjoy the season everyone 

A good report on what sounds like a very good first morning , shame about your dog being hard work , is he / she very old ? , my young one started his first full season when he was a year and a half as I had to put the old boy down when he was only ten year old , I would have liked to had another season with the old one and the young one just tagging along to learn the ropes but it wasn't to be and so my young had to start earning his keep , he is now four and a half and turning out to be a good retriever , although he do get plenty of work with sitting in a pigeon hide 2 / 3 times a week , I know something , he will never be perfect but he is getting plenty of practice .

GOOD LUCK with the rest of the season .

1 hour ago, grahamch said:

Not for me in middle of a house move.

Debating whether I can be bothered to put safes back in new place and to pack up.

Guns at RFD for storage and maybe sale. 

Are you moving nearer or further away from your fowling grounds ? , how long have you been wild fowling ? , are you in a wild fowling club and have you got a gun dog ? , I am only asking to find out how keen you are , or were.

You need your heart into wild fowling and start off with very low expectations with your bag returns and like a lot of field sports , the more time spent trying to get on terms with the quarry , the more you will be rewarded .

A lot of people have a go at wild fowling and nearly as many drop out after a few seasons , so if you haven't got the time , or the distance is to far then you might be better off in calling it a day .

GOOD LUCK whatever you decide do ..... MM 

21 hours ago, marsh man said:

Are you moving nearer or further away from your fowling grounds ? , how long have you been wild fowling ? , are you in a wild fowling club and have you got a gun dog ? , I am only asking to find out how keen you are , or were.

You need your heart into wild fowling and start off with very low expectations with your bag returns and like a lot of field sports , the more time spent trying to get on terms with the quarry , the more you will be rewarded .

A lot of people have a go at wild fowling and nearly as many drop out after a few seasons , so if you haven't got the time , or the distance is to far then you might be better off in calling it a day .

GOOD LUCK whatever you decide do ..... MM 

Thanks. Am only moving 5 mins down the road. Been fowling for 35 years or so and on committee of my local club. 

Guess I cant be hassled to refit safes into a new house and am becoming jaded with shooting things. 

I was due out on the first flight Sunday morning but was ill, Wednesday evening flight was my first.  Weather was perfect fowling with high winds and rain. Walked to the back of our marsh boundary and set up behind a wire fence that was grown over for hide cover. With a reeded up stell the other side of me. Saw very little for first hour then a skein of high far geese passed way off. Saw some teal and a few mallard dropping into neighbouring clubs marsh.  Dog was excited being his first day of the season, was twitching and watching seagulls flight past. As soon as I turned to look around he was walking around to see what I was looking at, instead of staying put. It's his seventh season so knows better. Called a few mallard in close enough for a shot and connected with two. Dog made a good retrieve of the first and brought it to hand. Went to go look for the second as it dropped over a fence on the opposite side of the stell. Chest waders on took first step only knee high so thought ohh it's ok all reeded up and only eight to ten feet wide second step had me straight down and swimming taking water over top of waders scrambling back up the bank and using my Maxus as a paddle and aid to climb out. Dog thought it was fun and had a swim round me. Got back to seat and emptied my wet phone out and pockets full of water and soggy carts arms of cost soggy with stinking black marsh water yuk. Dog had picked up the first bird and lost it when I was getting out the water, must have thought best get him a duck quick. Spent ages looking but not to be found. Was not happy at all with my dog for picking up the duck he'd already brought back and losing it in the water in reeds. Called another small group of mallard and shot straight again for a change was a runner that made the water and a bit more challenging a retrieve, dog done well with a diver and struggle up a bank through reeds with perfect to hand release. Ended with three for the flight a long soggy walk a dog back in my good books and a smile knowing my wife would find my flight amusing.

Spent hours washing out cleaning a stripped maxus and more crud coming out of my gun, duck weed and grass gets everywhere. And that fine silty gunk. 

Bit of a long post but hopefully will put a wry smile on some of your faces, as some will have had same or similar. Kit sorted for Sunday nights outing.

17 hours ago, figgy said:

I was due out on the first flight Sunday morning but was ill, Wednesday evening flight was my first.  Weather was perfect fowling with high winds and rain. Walked to the back of our marsh boundary and set up behind a wire fence that was grown over for hide cover. With a reeded up stell the other side of me. Saw very little for first hour then a skein of high far geese passed way off. Saw some teal and a few mallard dropping into neighbouring clubs marsh.  Dog was excited being his first day of the season, was twitching and watching seagulls flight past. As soon as I turned to look around he was walking around to see what I was looking at, instead of staying put. It's his seventh season so knows better. Called a few mallard in close enough for a shot and connected with two. Dog made a good retrieve of the first and brought it to hand. Went to go look for the second as it dropped over a fence on the opposite side of the stell. Chest waders on took first step only knee high so thought ohh it's ok all reeded up and only eight to ten feet wide second step had me straight down and swimming taking water over top of waders scrambling back up the bank and using my Maxus as a paddle and aid to climb out. Dog thought it was fun and had a swim round me. Got back to seat and emptied my wet phone out and pockets full of water and soggy carts arms of cost soggy with stinking black marsh water yuk. Dog had picked up the first bird and lost it when I was getting out the water, must have thought best get him a duck quick. Spent ages looking but not to be found. Was not happy at all with my dog for picking up the duck he'd already brought back and losing it in the water in reeds. Called another small group of mallard and shot straight again for a change was a runner that made the water and a bit more challenging a retrieve, dog done well with a diver and struggle up a bank through reeds with perfect to hand release. Ended with three for the flight a long soggy walk a dog back in my good books and a smile knowing my wife would find my flight amusing.

Spent hours washing out cleaning a stripped maxus and more crud coming out of my gun, duck weed and grass gets everywhere. And that fine silty gunk. 

Bit of a long post but hopefully will put a wry smile on some of your faces, as some will have had same or similar. Kit sorted for Sunday nights outing.

Thanks I enjoyed reading that, I think we've all made a mistake wildfowling. I bet the water was cold 🤣🤣

18 hours ago, figgy said:

Something we can all relate to from time to time , if it is going to happen it is better now than when the weather drop below zero and then it's not as funny .

Very good start to this years season figgy and hopefully you will have many more good days to come :good:

Thanks it was a good start to the season.

With it not being to cold weather wise the water felt very cold, the strong wind made drying off a cold soggy hour. 😆

Without some ducks to call in and then walking about with the dog retrieving I'd have been miserable and stinky with black water.