Sign in to follow this  
spurs 14

An odd afternoon

Finished early at work today , got home grabbed a net , couple poles,  a bouncer and five half shell decoys and headed up the farm , wasn’t much about Tuesday so wasn’t hopefull hence not taking the full monty 

set up under a tree just in a field of stubble , wide open view set up and settled down , first up a display of helicopters practising slow low flying turning hovering all within a mile or so ( I’m in Suffolk we can get  this fairly regular ) then they went on their way , next up a small herd of deer entered the field and grazed along the hedge opposite , hundred yards or so , sat watching them for twenty minutes or so finally a buzzard was circling getting lower and lower took a big interest in the decoys lovely to watch it effortlessly flying around as low as I’ve ever seen or been close too just sat still watching , never fired a shot but what a great couple of hours 

I have just had a similar night

Sat waiting for a fox

Watched voles running from a shelter belt to a strip of recently cut grass 

Then sat watching a hare in its seat - looking nervous - I thought a fox was coming but no a buzzard swooped at it - I am sure it touched it - swung round again but no contact it then  appeared exhausted with the effort and it went and sat on a post. The hare appeared a little shocked and ran towards my landrover - im glad it got away !

Lastly I watched the barn owl looking for the voles floating about like a ghost 

NO FOX

NOT BOTHERED 

who says its all about shooting stuff !

Yep it’s those odd days where you’re happy to be out and don’t have to pull the trigger ( my case I was more than happy to but the little **** never showed up ! ) 

There's an old saying in angling that applies just as well to shooting ... "There's more to fishing than catching fish" ;)

Not only does this give an excuse for 'blanking', it highlights the fact that simply being there is more than half of why we go.

I sat out last evening hoping for a munty. Not a deer to be found but saw Charlie emerge from a spinney and wander off across the stubble,( left him alone as he's no problem in that location), had rabbits emerging from burrows not 15yds from me and start rummaging through the stubble for gleanings, and had a magnificent barn owl swooping over me several times like a ghost on the breeze. Went out hoping for some venison and returned without touching the trigger but I'd never call that a wasted evening :)