HOW MANY ACTIVE MEMBERS ON THIS FORUM?

KB1

i want to sign but i dont anymore...........as the last time i signed something   (about 4 mths ago)...........everyday i was getting rubbish e-mails about some poor muppet wanting crowd funding ..this that and the other sort of begging stuff..........

i have been ....for the last 3 years trying to get rid of "forces war records" trying to get me to sign up to their "new"deal.....i have unserscribed....dozens of times to no avail...the carp still keeps coming..........

that is why most people are very wary of signing these petitions.........

one of the moderators was wanting a sighnee a few weeks ago ...promising that my details would be deleted after the petition went in............and i signed ...and no spam rubbish or any stuff came to me......which was fine and i will do it again............but this general petition stuff ...i steer well clear of...

31 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Always wary of signing or putting details on the net, Faceache insisted I put my correct name , not happy. 

is that why you black your face out on your avatar.........incase the greek autorities rekonise you as the washing line knicker thief ...:lol:

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

i want to sign but i dont anymore...........as the last time i signed something   (about 4 mths ago)...........everyday i was getting rubbish e-mails about some poor muppet wanting crowd funding ..this that and the other sort of begging stuff..........

i have been ....for the last 3 years trying to get rid of "forces war records" trying to get me to sign up to their "new"deal.....i have unserscribed....dozens of times to no avail...the carp still keeps coming..........

that is why most people are very wary of signing these petitions.........

one of the moderators was wanting a sighnee a few weeks ago ...promising that my details would be deleted after the petition went in............and i signed ...and no spam rubbish or any stuff came to me......which was fine and i will do it again............but this general petition stuff ...i steer well clear of...

22 minutes ago, snow white said:

I am the same as ditchman feed up emails can’t be bothered with all the rubbish and that forces thinking will not stop sending emails doesn’t matter how many times I unsubscribe 

This one is on the official government petition website. I have never had spam from it. You do get emails about the petition once it has a reply or has been debated, but only if you tick a box.

7 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

This one is on the official government petition website. I have never had spam from it. You do get emails about the petition once it has a reply or has been debated, but only if you tick a box.

Yup - the opt out option is clear and it works. Other than the confirmatory email to say my submission was successful, I've had nothing from them.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

is that why you black your face out on your avatar.........incase the greek autorities rekonise you as the washing line knicker thief ...:lol:

Shh the Greeks think that the nicker Nicker is a French or German tourist NOT the fine upstanding Ennglish man who has connections to Sir JDog of the county of Lincolnshire .

1 hour ago, Teal said:

Petitions are like rocking chairs, they give you something to do but don't get you anywhere.

I was a little surprised at your post, you may well be correct, but I wonder if WJ look at their petitions the same way as some shooting folk do?

I have neither a banjo, a landrover or a rocking chair, and I didn't sign the petition!

I have no idea how WJ view their petitions. Probably as a publicity tool on which to hang their coats for the time being. But as a means of actually achieving anything they are pointless. 

There are thousands of petitions on there, and yes some of the items being petitioned will have things happening. But that does not mean the petition is the reason. A bit like the dozens of Brexit ones, oh yes we need a referendum, oh no we don't. It's all a bit pantomime.

Best single thing every person that shoots in the country could do is take out one friend who is a newcomer to shooting each year, clays or game. Or cook a game pie and share around friends. I know plenty do this, but for the vast majority it's an insular world, with two sets of friends who rarely overlap, and that's a big disadvantage, because you can preach all you like, but showing people on the ground what you do and why, there is a far greater chance they'll come away with their eyes open.

As I said you may well be correct, but I am sure the morale of WJ supporters feel vindicated in their quest when they see the numbers in support of them, this surely spurs them on to fight even harder for their cause.

“a newcomer to shooting” sorry this is just preaching to the converted, its people who very little interest in shooting we need on our side.

Tell me when was the last time there was any large scale joined-up fight for shooting by shooters?

1 hour ago, Teal said:

Best single thing every person that shoots in the country could do is take out one friend who is a newcomer to shooting each year, clays or game. Or cook a game pie and share around friends. I know plenty do this, but for the vast majority it's an insular world, with two sets of friends who rarely overlap, and that's a big disadvantage, because you can preach all you like, but showing people on the ground what you do and why, there is a far greater chance they'll come away with their eyes open.

I do my bit by sharing my sausage, 

And burgers, 

The latest Venison juniper and cranberry sausage. 

It took less than 2 minutes to sign….. about the same time as posting the average comment on here🙄  If it doesn't make a difference then you've only lost 2 mins of your time, but if it does end up making a difference then it was well worth it😊  I've never shot Grouse in all my years, but am more than willing to give 2 minutes of my time to help fellow shooters…….

Anyway, each to their own.. Much love🥰

Perhaps BASC with its alleged 150k members don’t think it’s worthwhile either, as apparently  they haven’t bothered to email their membership, and neither have the NGO, nor the CA as far as I know. 

I can’t see the point in signing a petition against the banning of something that isn’t banned, nor even proposed that it be banned. 

20 minutes ago, Scully said:

Perhaps BASC with its alleged 150k members don’t think it’s worthwhile either, as apparently  they haven’t bothered to email their membership, and neither have the NGO, nor the CA as far as I know. 

I can’t see the point in signing a petition against the banning of something that isn’t banned, nor even proposed that it be banned

I would imagine that the only thing more pointless is signing a petition to un-ban something that is now banned and which was banned in view of the numbers in favour of doing so far outstripped those of a differing view. I've been told that this is sort of like handguns although I, personally, disagree.

40 minutes ago, KB1 said:

It took less than 2 minutes to sign….. about the same time as posting the average comment on here🙄  If it doesn't make a difference then you've only lost 2 mins of your time, but if it does end up making a difference then it was well worth it😊  I've never shot Grouse in all my years, but am more than willing to give 2 minutes of my time to help fellow shooters…….

Anyway, each to their own.. Much love🥰

Agreed, also the excuse of details being compromised are a bit thin, I have never had any junk mail from signing a government run petition, I doubt you are giving them anymore info about you than they don’t already have/know.

Name.

Email.

Postcode.

31 minutes ago, Scully said:

I can’t see the point in signing a petition against the banning of something that isn’t banned, nor even proposed that it be banned. 

BASC etc, correct no information from them but Avery & co keep there followers well informed of what we are doing, I wonder why.

I think the idea behind it is a pre-emptive strike to show in numbers the support for not banning grouse shooting, a counter to WJ petition if you like, or is it best to do nothing and hope for the best?

5 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I would imagine that the only thing more pointless is signing a petition to un-ban something that is now banned and which was banned in view of the numbers in favour of doing so far outstripped those of a differing view. I've been told that this is sort of like handguns although I, personally, disagree.

🙂 Yep. I wrote to the HO, my MP and had a letter and photograph printed in the Mail, and was interviewed on Radio Cumbria ( where i met a hostile audience ) following the proposed handgun ban. The only thing this has in common with this thread is that BASC didn't get involved in that either. 😀

6 minutes ago, old'un said:

Agreed, also the excuse of details being compromised are a bit thin, I have never had any junk mail from signing a government run petition, I doubt you are giving them anymore info about you than they don’t already have/know.

Name.

Email.

Postcode.

BASC etc, correct no information from them but Avery & co keep there followers well informed of what we are doing, I wonder why.

I think the idea behind it is a pre-emptive strike to show in numbers the support for not banning grouse shooting, a counter to WJ petition if you like, or is it best to do nothing and hope for the best?

Do nothing....it's what the shooting community ( as a community ) do best. 👍

11 minutes ago, Scully said:

🙂 Yep. I wrote to the HO, my MP and had a letter and photograph printed in the Mail, and was interviewed on Radio Cumbria ( where i met a hostile audience ) following the proposed handgun ban. The only thing this has in common with this thread is that BASC didn't get involved in that either. 😀

Do nothing....it's what the shooting community ( as a community ) do best. 👍

Its sad but so true, frustrating really.

4 hours ago, Scully said:

You could have hit the nail on the head.

I just had a phone call from a very nice chap from BASC, I was told the top brass do not see things like the rival petition as an important issue, he also went to revel some very interesting things about the top brass at BASC, which I will not disclose on here for obvious reasons.