Benelmadena/Torremolinos visit question

henry d

Have you been to the above area? Is it all Brit bars and no signs of tapas, or a bit of both?

We have gone to Fuengirola on the CdS in the autumn and enjoy it immensely, we have had good times visiting Malaga too especially its little alleyways off the main streets, so we are just wondering if these two towns along the coast between the two were worth a night out or if they are more of a Magaluf kind of area?

Muchas gracias!

A friend out ours had a lovely villa in Belamadena on the old Benalmadena / Mijas road (complete with heli pad.....) which we stayed at a few times and Mijas is well worth a visit. 

Just don't go on any festival days because the locals (well stewed) drive the mountain road like maniacs.

Edited by Eyefor

10 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

A friend out ours had a lovely villa in Belamadena on the old Benalmadena / Mijas road (complete with heli pad.....) which we stayed at a few times and Mijas is well worth a visit. 

Just don't go on any festival days because the locals (well stewed) drive the mountain road like maniacs.

Yeah, well aware of mijas and drunken drivers! We looked to book a villa just outside (north) of Mijas but things conspired against us, but hope to go there in a year or two.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Eyefor said:

I went to Belamadena  around easter time and got tangled up in that festival where they chucked a donkey off the cliffs into the sea ! the poor beast was frightened stiff they where throwing fire works and bangers   to get it to move !  oh and the locals where well pxxshed .

Edited by derbyduck

Benelmadena is a bit too touristy for me, nice marina on a night though,you will find tapas if you ask the locals. Much prefer the history and old architecture of Malaga. The old market is a foody's delight. The cathedral had one of the biggest organs I've seen. Parents had a villa inland towards Mijas from Fuengirola so used to visit the area a lot. 

58 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

I went to Belamadena  around easter time and got tangled up in that festival where they chucked a donkey off the cliffs into the sea ! the poor beast was frightened stiff they where throwing fire works and bangers   to get it to move !  oh and the locals where well pxxshed .

That sounds a terrible tradition...

12 hours ago, derbyduck said:

Did you see each of these specific acts with your own eyes?

10 hours ago, Lord Geordie said:

My partner and I went along to tarifa and got a ferry to tangier. Bit of an eye opener but was a cheap enough day trip. Nice little market to the west of benalmadena too 

I too have done the Tangier day trip.  Pestered all day by street sellers ... Trapped in carpet and perfume establishments. One American girl in our party who had booked to stay for a week was in tears and decided to return with us. Back in Gib customs asked me if I had anything to declare. Declare says I I am lucky to have the shirt still on my back.

12 hours ago, figgy said:

Benelmadena is a bit too touristy for me, nice marina on a night though,you will find tapas if you ask the locals. Much prefer the history and old architecture of Malaga. The old market is a foody's delight. The cathedral had one of the biggest organs I've seen. Parents had a villa inland towards Mijas from Fuengirola so used to visit the area a lot. 

Cheers figgy, looks like we are on the same page in what we prefer from a holiday, might just have to stick to fuengirola and Malaga.

Many thanks everyone!

18 hours ago, derbyduck said:

6 hours ago, Munzy said:

@derbyduck Did you witness this yourself?

29 minutes ago, figgy said:

The donkey thing happens all over Spain. Same with bull runs. They chase them off the end of the piers. Then the swim ashore.

Happened in Denia when I was working in Valencia. Videos of the even were on sale soon after if you missed it.

The donkey thing does not happen all over Spain, I only know of one place in particular which has a fiesta based around a donkey and they don’t chuck it off a cliff! Hence my interest in whether @derbyduckwitnessed this himself or just heard about it from a guy down the pub.

Bull runs yes, I’ve run in many of them. Lots of weird fiestas across the country but I get a bit defensive as a half-Spanish guy who has lived for many years in different parts of the country and have to hear embellished and fabricated accounts of animal mistreatment from PETA nutters.

Mijas lovely, avoid on a sunday. It was full of rude families from the middle east area. If you have a car rhonda is amazing and drive not for the feint hearted, possibly the most scenic place i have been. Tipi tapa is good for tapas in fuingerola at the malaga end. Erase una vez is great in benalmadina and cheap as chips. Volapie is a chain tapas in benalmadina but really nice. Squid ink bread was outstanding. 

On 31/08/2019 at 07:29, Munzy said:

No I did not see the donkey get chucked into the sea !  I did see the fireworks being thrown at it ! and one drunken Ell Cid got his arm burnt whilst lighting a rocket that he was holding in his hand  lol  when they had gone past our  car I got out and asked what was happening and was told it was going to be thrown into the  sea ! I had no desire to watch this ritual !  i'm sorry that you think i'm slating the country of one of your parents but it was back in 1988 and a lot bad things seemed to be happening there then  ,if I had been there two weeks latter I would have been tangled up in load off bother on Gibraltar we filled the car up at that garage where the IRA  guys got shot !. don't get to wound up about your mixed parentage life to short  Viva .

PS. I aint  no PETA nutter , but I have been a Nutter in more was than one .

Edited by derbyduck