410 roll crimp

Hi all,

does anyone know where I can pick up a cheap 410 roll crimp tool? The cheapest I can find online is around the £40 mark which just seems crazy. I've got a metal working lathe but without have one in front of me I'm struggling to get my head around how they work so I can't make my own.

thanks guys any advice is much appropriated 

darren

They work by alternating pressure, along the circumference of the shell case, with a central raised button acting as guide.

You have  a vertical slot cut into the tool but the bottom of the slot is not level but a wave form such that there is a high and low ever 60 degrees to give three highs and 3 lows in the circunference of the slot.

The cheaper tool on the left (brass) has the outward facing of the wave form as smooth waves and the wider tolerance shallow slot and wider slot but not the tighter finish.

Inside diameter 0.45, button width 0.270, button depth to top 0.187, top of wave .217, nottom of wave 0.269 inches

The more expensive tool on the right (GAEP) has a slight sharp crest to the wave as can be just seen and slot is deeper  and also narrower  giving a tighter finish.

Inside diameter 0.455, button width 0.315, button depth 0.180, top of wave .245, nottom of wave 0.280 inches

Rather than waste time trying to work out the mechanics and depths of the waves etc, I would go to folkestone engineering and get a GAEP one.

In the below photo the raised portion of the waves can be seen in both as they are shiny compared to the remainder.

DSC_1678.JPG

Edited by Stonepark

I use a GAEP one from Folkeston to finish my 410 crimps. Excellent bit of kit. I would get the roll turn over model if I was you.  I have a bench drill and just set it up the right length of stroke to do the job.   Just a touch of vaseline...just a touch,  helps stop the shell spinning in your fingers.