What now

Jacko3275

As some of you know I have joined NPPC and the fields  close to me are all rape stubble now and the last few fields I have booked there as been slim pickings to shoot at 9 for 15 ... so I’m wondering as NPPC usually gets rape fields and I will get a new list in the November I believe.. can I shoot turned over ground or  do it wait for the new list and when is best to start going out shooting rape fields .... I’m still in the hope I may find my own shooting perm 

Rape stubble, as already mentioned have got a very small window when it is worth shooting , although there have been members who have had some good shooting even when the seed had re germinated and is well in leaf, they may well have done . but me and along with many others have found at this stage it is a waste of time .

You might be lucky with any late Bean stubble or , Maize that should be cut over the next few weeks , one of the reasons we say you need to spend a fair bit of time keeping a eye on the farms your club are allowed to shoot over .

18 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Rape stubble, as already mentioned have got a very small window when it is worth shooting , although there have been members who have had some good shooting even when the seed had re germinated and is well in leaf, they may well have done . but me and along with many others have found at this stage it is a waste of time .

You might be lucky with any late Bean stubble or , Maize that should be cut over the next few weeks , one of the reasons we say you need to spend a fair bit of time keeping a eye on the farms your club are allowed to shoot over .

For me the fields are well scattered so I book a field go and look see if there is any birds if I see a few I set up for a couple of hours I would only be sat in the garden so hey ho ... the good thing about it so far is I’ve had a good chat with one of the farmers  and a game keeper who was happy to take my number 

Even when the rape stubble has been lightly cultivated (disced) it can still provide some good shooting, so well worth watching as the pigeons can still find the seed. However, as MM said, once the old seed start sprouting (volunteer rape) it very rarely attracts the pigeons. 

OB