Your Five Favorite Songs , And Why ?

marsh man

Tidying up in the garage this morning the radio was playing songs from the past and this got me thinking ,( no I didn't get a head ache ) :hmm:, if I could only listen to five records , what would they be and a few words for the reason why.

No 1 , Would be Matt Monroe .. Walk Away .... This was my first live show I ever went to and his voice was incredible .

No 2 , Would be Jerry And The Pacemakers  ... You'll Never Walk Alone ... I love the 60s music and this one remind me of the countless nights I have been fowling in adverse conditions , When you walk through a storm , Hold your head up high , And don't be afraid of the dark , ... Brilliant song .

No 3 , Would be Roy Orbison .... Dreams ....... This reminds me of the first love in my life , sadly we went our separate ways , but I still think of her every time I hear this song .

No 4 , Would be , The Bee Gees ... Don't Forget To Remember Me ... A great song sung by three excellent singers , my choice of song for when I am on my final journey .

No 5 , Is a hard choice as I am sure to change it as time wears on , but for now it is . ABBA .... I Have A Dream ...... In there prime they were unbeatable , and I doubt we will see the likes again .

Well that is mine , What is yours ?? 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

L. O. V. E by Nat King cole

Something by sherley bassey 

Teardrops by Womack and womack

Is this love by Alison moyet 

True blue by madonna 

56 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Tidying up in the garage this morning the radio was playing songs from the past and this got me thinking ,( no I didn't get a head ache ) , if I could only listen to five records , what would they be and a few words for the reason why.

No 1 , Would be Matt Monroe .. Walk Away .... This was my first live show I ever went to and his voice was incredible .

No 2 , Would be Jerry And The Pacemakers  ... You'll Never Walk Alone ... I love the 60s music and this one remind me of the countless nights I have been fowling in adverse conditions , When you walk through a storm , Hold your head up high , And don't be afraid of the dark , ... Brilliant song .

No 3 , Would be Roy Orbison .... Dreams ....... This reminds me of the first love in my life , sadly we went our separate ways , but I still think of her every time I hear this song .

No 4 , Would be , The Bee Gees ... Don't Forget To Remember Me ... A great song sung by three excellent singers , my choice of song for when I am on my final journey .

No 5 , Is a hard choice as I am sure to change it as time wears on , but for now it is . ABBA .... I Have A Dream ...... In there prime they were unbeatable , and I doubt we will see the likes again .

Well that is mine , What is yours ?? 

Matt Monroe is the greatest balad singer of them all, pitch perfect. 

19 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Papa roach  - my heart is a fist 

Ironmaiden  - the greater good of god 

Linkin park - sharp edges 

Audio slave - i am the highway 

Incubus -  drive 

Bit different from your list .

Are we on the same planet Ultrastu :lol: , I am either showing my age , or my poor taste of music :good:

Longview - Greenday

Hated them at school but reminded me off sitting around doing things I shouldn't off later on in life, with this album always playing. 

Fade to black - Disturbed (not Metallica) 

Reminds me of people who have come and gone on my life. Amazing vocals, better than the Metallica version as its only available live. Draiman has an amazing voice. 

We are the truth 3.0 - Mushroomhead 

Seen them a few times and are amazing live. Their best song and just love the tempo.

Go with the flow - Queens of the Stoneage 

Reminds me of working in the pub getting wrecked, ******** anything that moved and generally having a mental time. 

We trusted you - Transplants 

To all the people who take advantage. Due to what I've done and who I knew I've had the **** taken a lot. This song is a big **** you 

As a side note and a album I love just all the way through whilst drinking is a - best of- of creedence clearwater revival. 👍

Edited by strimmer_13
Reasons why

1. The Sisters of Mercy - Nine While Nine - reminds me of my old girlfriend.

2. The Cramps - Can Your Pussy Do The Dog - one of the first bands I saw live.

3. Crass - Where Next Columbus - just a great song that reminds me of a mate who passed away.

4. Combichrist - This is My Rifle, music to dance to.

5. The Birthday Party - Deep In The Woods - Nick Cave at his best

16 minutes ago, washerboy said:

L. O. V. E by Nat King cole

Something by sherley bassey 

Teardrops by Womack and womack

Is this love by Alison moyet 

True blue by madonna 

Matt Monroe is the greatest balad singer of them all, pitch perfect. 

Matt Monroe - one of the greatest natural singing talents of all time. Whether you enjoy his style or not, you can not fault the absolute ease of his ability. Awesome.

LS

Just now, strimmer_13 said:

Longview - Greenday

Fade to black - Disturbed (not Metallica) 

We are the truth 3.0 - Mushroomhead 

Go with the flow - Queens of the Stoneage 

We trusted you - Transplants 

As a side note and a album I love just all the way through whilst drinking is a - best of- of creedence clearwater revival. 👍

I Havent heard the disturbed version of fade to black ..

I actually also considered metallicas fade to black and one .

Good choices  you have there. .

Just now, marsh man said:

Are we on the same planet Ultrastu :lol: , I am either showing my age , or my poor taste of music :good:

Same planet .just different tastes  .

We both like puffing a few pigeons tho. 

1 Soul and inspiration - Righteous Brothers - Bill Medley has a voice few will match.

2. I've been loving you too long - Otis Redding - Otis - brilliant, powerful voice. The Monterey Pop Festival live version is unsurpassed.

3. Tell me when my light turns green - Dexys Midnight Runners. Big Jimmy Paterson's finest hour.

4. Everyday I write the book - Elvis Costello and the Attractions, with the TKO Horns. Elvis at his best - with the horn section from Dexys - Dave Plews, Paul Speare,  Jeff Blythe and Big Jimmy Paterson.

5. The sun ain't gonna shine anymore - Walker Brothers. Great voices, brilliant Bob Crewe production.

Edited by Gordon R

Sound of silence ....disturbed version

Snow patrol.....chasing cars....oh the nites on the vodka and red bull.....

Wild mountain thyme...

Numb/encore Lincoln park/jayzee

Simple man lynard skinner 

Random bunch of tunes....lol

Edited by millrace

Ooohhh this is a difficult one...

1. Van Morrison - Into the mystic. Just takes me away. Always close my eyes and drift with that one. Huge Van Morrison fan as it is.

2. Johnny Cash - Hurt. I find it a very grounding song. Makes me question myself and the life I live I suppose. All that from a song hey.

3. Midland - Cheatin’ Songs. I’m a huge Country music fan and this one is modern but old school. Proper foot tappin tune.

4. Sammy Davis Jnr - Mr Bojangles. Almost brings a tear when I listen to this. Played to my nippers at bedtime when they were little. Sat in their room, staring into the dark hoping the little swines would sleep soon...

5. Paul Robeson - Ma Curley Headed Baby. Not a song or artist many would know but my late father sang his own edited version of this song as a lullaby when myself and my brothers were youngsters. He was much older than my mother so grew up with this. A song I’ll always associate with his memory. Bless him.

Every time we say goodbye, Ella Fitzgerald, The River, Loose Windscreen, Waterloo sunset, the kinks, Down Home Girl, Rolling stones, A town i knew so well, Luke Kelly, They all take me back somewhere (some places best forgotten)

Edited by guzzicat

Working Man. Rita MacNeil. Reminds me of my ex-miner Grandad in Fife. "I never again will go down undergound". It wrecks me every time I hear it.

Meet on the Ledge. Fairport Convention with Sandy Denny. Reminds me of the rebelliousness of the late 60's that I am still proud of.

Father and son. Cat Stevens. "From the moment I could talk, I was ordered to listen" Reminds me of the fractious relationship I had with my father.

Eve of destruction. Barry McGuire "You're old enough to kill, but not for voting".  Exactly.

Sweet sixteen. The Fureys. Reminds me of me in teenage idiot mode at 16 sighting for the first time the woman that I instantly decided I would marry. Still together after 48 years. Fabulous woman.

Many more drift in and out of that top five according to my mood - Streets of London by Ralph McTell, Tribute to a King by William Bell, Green Fields of France (Willie McBride) by the Fureys

All are on YouTube but this is the best version of the last one.

Edited by Eyefor

I have so many favorites. My most played at the moment are:

Beatles: While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Scar Tissue

AWOLNation: Sail

Dusty Springfield: Son of a Preacher Man

Guns and Roses: Coma

Elton John: Tiny Dancer

I know that is six but could not leave any of these of my playlist at the moment.

Edited by rimfire4969

Not quiet in line with the topic but I have instructed my son with the following for my Funeral:-

Entrance, nimrod the Hunter, Elgar ( A man with a great moustache ) 

I vow to thee my country , not known

Jerusalem , not known , Bengemen Britton??( JDog will put me right)

Another one bites the dust, Queen.