Distance squirrels travel

stuartyboy

I shoot a small copse (30 ish trees) and despite shooting 40+ each year there is a constant supply of newcomers - the nearest woodland is at least 3/4 mile away and over a busy road. I have no doubt that in a large woodland and in the right weather they will travel 1/2 mile with ease to reach a food source. I would try and keep feed stations to a minimum - if they are switched on to your bait (peanuts, peanuts or, if you cant get peanuts, then peanuts) then it's better to concentrate their numbers into a few areas - if they are not happy and there is another station nearby they will just move on. 

Totally agree with bruno22rf.

I do 60 ish, in a copse with jjust one feeder between November and February. 

I guesstimate they are being pulled in from up to 3/4 mile, possibly further !?

Come late January onwards the numbers are so few it becomes unviable, timewise, to sit on the feeder.

About now I will start shooting them on the tops of the Beech trees, till theres no more and then in November the new batch will make a miraculous appearance filling the vacuem.

Edited by Robertt

Yes, I too agree with Bruno. I would say at least a kilometre. I have been shooting a wood for 15 years and they still keep coming. The local firearms dealer, who is a local shooter as well has said he has noticed less grey squirrels in the area, over the years. By plugging away at them your efforts act like a sump, draining them from the surrounding areas.