Boat rod n reel advice pls?

mgsontour

1 hour ago, mgsontour said:

Hi all, I would  appreciate your advice on size/strength of a rod & reel for boat fishing man enough to catch up to a decent size cod/tope please? ( even better if someone has something for sale ) Cheers

Are you looking for a multiplier set up?

I'd probably look at 12-20lb set up for tope and cod. You could go 20-30lb, but there's really no need. Most people I know are happy at 12-20 and plenty go even lighter. Then team it up with a 15/20 class reel, max. or a 5/6000 sized round baitcaster. That should give you more than enough oopmh to stop and hold tope. If you really want to bully big wreck cod, MAYBE look for a bit more, but you really wouldn't need to in the vast majority of cases - unless you're planning some Norwegian deep water cod fishing for proper monsters?!

what's your budget? 

Edited by chrisjpainter

3 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Are you looking for a multiplier set up?

I'd probably look at 12-20lb set up for tope and cod. You could go 20-30lb, but there's really no need. Most people I know are happy at 12-20 and plenty go even lighter. Then team it up with a 15/20 class reel, max. or a 5/6000 sized round baitcaster. That should give you more than enough oopmh to stop and hold tope. If you really want to bully big wreck cod, MAYBE look for a bit more, but you really wouldn't need to in the vast majority of cases - unless you're planning some Norwegian deep water cod fishing for proper monsters?!

what's your budget? 

Thanks and yes a multiplier and no budget but like to spend as little as required either cheap to throw away and replace or a good value brand that will last, this is the dilemma?

Norway is on the cards and will get there but will probably hire the rod n reel from the captain

4 hours ago, old'un said:

Most fishing tackle shops near the coast usually have rigs ready to go for little money.

Blackpool Angling Centre has complete set-ups ready to go, starting from £50.

Thanks

Okay. Well, I reckon go for a half decent but good value rod and a bit more on a reel. There's a school of thought that it's not worth spending loads on reels because the salt will kill them anyway, but I'm not convinced! Just look after them! Mine get soaked down in fresh slightly soapy water. and then thoroughly dried, but I don't have expensive ones! I have a couple of Penn Rampage II Braid rods. They do three in the range: 6-12, 12-20 and 20-30. They're just really good all round rods. sensitive to bites, but enough grit to bully fish. And they come in hard cordura tubes, which is cool. The Greys Greys GR75S look pretty tidy too, as welll as the Shakespeare Ugly stik ELITE - but make sure it's the Elite, the standard one's rings have a habit of corroding if you're not absurdly diligent with cleaning.

Reel wise, Penn Warfare's their middle of the range multiplier. I have a 15 size on my 12-20 rod and that would be a nice combo. 7kg of max drag is fine for tope. that's about £60-70. They also do a combo, although I'm not convinced the rod's as good as some options.

Or around the £100 mark the Shimano Charter Special 2000LD would be a step up and a really quality reel. Or something like the Abu Ambassadeur 6500 C3 CS. Look for something with ticker function, so you can hear when tope take the bait and strip line off the reel.

you won't need anything more that 6kg max drag for tope, so keep it light and keep it fun.  Like I said I know a few chaps who use 7-12 rods and just have fun with it! 

If youre going to Norway eventually I would recommend buying a travel boat rod, 20lb Squadron 2 is a good rod, Ive had 50lb Halibut and 40lb cod on mine and there not a lot of money.

Reel I would recommend a 2 speed Penn Fathom, I use a 2 speed Daiwa Saltiga and Shimano Talica 2 speed but there a lot of money for a first reel, I go to Norway every year so invested in a couple of good reels and the rod is more than capable.

For the price of the Fathom reel and Squadron rod I wouldn't bother hiring equipment over there.

as welll as the Shakespeare Ugly stik ELITE - but make sure it's the Elite, the standard one's rings have a habit of corroding if you're not absurdly diligent with cleaning.

Must be the rings on the most recent Uglystiks, I've had a U/S for 20 odd yrs, it never got cleaned & I was fishing out of Amble 2-3 times a week.

Excellent boat rod, it's the 12-20lb class & tbh that's all you need.