Basc - video journalist job vacancy.

mudpatten

Some good new from BASC who are advertising for the services of a video journalist. Hopefully we`ll begin to see a flood of video content useable in our defence via social media. I`m expecting to see three or four films a week promoting our cause that we can all circulate outside of the shooting community.

26 minutes ago, mudpatten said:

Some good new from BASC who are advertising for the services of a video journalist. Hopefully we`ll begin to see a flood of video content useable in our defence via social media. I`m expecting to see three or four films a week promoting our cause that we can all circulate outside of the shooting community.

Video content is expensive and very time consuming to get right 

I’d rather BASC got out one good video a month 

better still find another Jack Hargreaves 

social media is a good idea however a lot of clubs prohibit their members from posting about there days sport 

look forward to seeing what they come up with 

All the best 

of 

Just to clarify that this vacancy has arisen because our current film maker Tom is leaving BASC after 9 years dedication to our campaigns providing innovation and dedication in producing films and video in all formats and for all audiences. That role was created as part of the creation of a media center at BASC in 2010. We are currently reviewing how we use social media, the website and video to ensure that we making the best use of our staff time and resources.

See BASC films here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/BASCfilms/ 

See BASC in the press here:
https://basc.org.uk/basc-in-the-press/

1 hour ago, mudpatten said:

No one can produce 4 films a week unless you want 30 second ones

He’s reading it 

a proper film should be from knowledge maybe scripted maybe properly edited 

sorry and no disrespect but we need proper films that capture the imagination of the non shooting members of the public and promote the different types and aspects of the shooting sports 

I’m a shooting man and passionate about the sports

50 seconds into the grouse topic I turned it off 

it didn’t hold my attention enough to put up with the next 7 minutes 40 seconds I found it was incredibly off putting with him reading from the paperwork 

Sorry as I’d have liked to give it a good review 

My apologies, I`d intended this to be a link to the "Gun Shop" You Tube site so that you could look at all the other films and judge them collectively, rather than critique this one individually. I`d hoped to illustrate the principle that an information film can be short, quick and easy to produce and specifically targetted. Four or five a week should be perfectly possible.  

I absolutely agree that "we need proper films that capture the imagination of the non shooting members of the public and promote the different types and aspects of the shooting sports." 

Staunch supporter of BASC that I am, it must be said that the way it`s video content has been managed leaves a lot to be desired. It`s nothing to do with the quality of production which has been great, but it`s quantity, or lack of it, and it`s poor circulation has been a serious problem.

With a membership of 155,000 the BASC You Tube video channel has a paltry 10,000 subscribers. The Gun Shop channel, rough and ready as it is, has almost three times that number at 28,000 subscribers.

Some BASC videos have been available for years but only have viewing figures that TGS achieves, often, within days of being broadcast.

Superbly produced, scripted and presented films, such as BASC has been producing, are an expensive and wasteful white elephant IF NOBODY WATCHES THEM.

Hopefully this will be an opportunity for BASC to regroup and provide an abundant supply of amunition that we can all use in the fight to defeat those who would see shooting stopped.

The only way shooting can be seen by any other than the already converted is by getting them seen on a wider platform available to the general public . Short informative films in independent cinemas prior to the main event is potentially a possibility. It’s up to our shooting orgs to figure out a means to get them there. 

Excellent idea! Here`s another idea.If we, collectively, were to engage with "the opposition" online we`d go a long way towards dismantling the currently superior strategic position that they occupy.

Most of the antis powerbase is on social media such as Facebook, Twitter etc, etc. Areas of conflict in which we barely engage because we `ve not understood how important it is to the younger people or tech savvy antis of today.

Only very recently has BASC engaged a staff member to deal with online content, we have a lot of catching up to do.

10 hours ago, mudpatten said:

Excellent idea! Here`s another idea.If we, collectively, were to engage with "the opposition" online we`d go a long way towards dismantling the currently superior strategic position that they occupy.

Most of the antis powerbase is on social media such as Facebook, Twitter etc, etc. Areas of conflict in which we barely engage because we `ve not understood how important it is to the younger people or tech savvy antis of today.

Only very recently has BASC engaged a staff member to deal with online content, we have a lot of catching up to do.

I do this on a regular basis too; not as often as I used to admittedly, but it does require time, and as much as I hate to let them have the last word, sometimes I just don’t have the time. It genuinely could be a full time job. 

As has been said, the anti-shooting lobby has found a real powerbase on social media and are really dominating the domain, and preaching to and possibly converting the apathetic.

It may seem a silly thing to do to many of the older guard of shooting, but social media really does control how people think, and to not engage on these platforms with earnest is a mistake being made by many of the larger shooting organisations. Mainstream media has less sway than ever, you only need to look at your own screen time and see your usage of a variety of social media apps and look at the time you spend using that vs the time you use reading mainstream news.

I have no doubt that is one was to look at the media departments of any anti shooting organisation they would put all pro teams to shame. It seems ridiculous that the shooting community rely on Fieldsports Britain, a private company, for their social media news updates. 

It is indeed possible for a small team to create a lot of content. At TGS we manage 3 videos a week minimum, yes there is a lot of studio stuff, but content is content - and content is King. Fieldsports Britain put out a weekly episode of 3-4 parts - with a filming and editing team of 2. 

BASC should be crushing it - I wish the applicant best of luck, but to make a difference BASC should be hiring 4 videographers and creating the best pro-shooting and conservation content in the UK.

Hindsight is a powerful thing and I believe BASC will regret not doubling down on their social media presence NOW, in years to come.

53 minutes ago, Olsson said:

As has been said, the anti-shooting lobby has found a real powerbase on social media and are really dominating the domain, and preaching to and possibly converting the apathetic.

It may seem a silly thing to do to many of the older guard of shooting, but social media really does control how people think, and to not engage on these platforms with earnest is a mistake being made by many of the larger shooting organisations. Mainstream media has less sway than ever, you only need to look at your own screen time and see your usage of a variety of social media apps and look at the time you spend using that vs the time you use reading mainstream news.

I have no doubt that is one was to look at the media departments of any anti shooting organisation they would put all pro teams to shame. It seems ridiculous that the shooting community rely on Fieldsports Britain, a private company, for their social media news updates. 

It is indeed possible for a small team to create a lot of content. At TGS we manage 3 videos a week minimum, yes there is a lot of studio stuff, but content is content - and content is King. Fieldsports Britain put out a weekly episode of 3-4 parts - with a filming and editing team of 2. 

BASC should be crushing it - I wish the applicant best of luck, but to make a difference BASC should be hiring 4 videographers and creating the best pro-shooting and conservation content in the UK.

Hindsight is a powerful thing and I believe BASC will regret not doubling down on their social media presence NOW, in years to come.

Great post Olsson!!  And very true!  We all need to do more if we want to keep what we have got! The threat ant going away! Doing nowt is not an option! As you say they are very social media savvy. Folk are interested and supportive if you give and show them the facts and where to find out more! TGS have, are doing a great job of not only informing folk about the GL, WJ etc, But also about shooting and guns in general! It where i send folk. Particularly younger folk and peps that may be interested in getting in to shooting! This generally leads them to FC to and the good interviews/debates they done. We are all busy! But it's not hard to start a conversation. I have learnt to give people a little information but encourage/direct them to find out more for themselves and the real facts! About both shooting and conservation!! We have got nothing to hide! They may not agree but more will understand!   NB

I saw this on FB earlier tday. Kate Humble .. " having no idea about how much management "  there is needed in the countryside to prevent wildfires. here they are control burning strips in purple moor grass, but it could easily be heather moorland. unless of course it was being re-wilded . ie planted with trees

There was also a very good prog on BBC4 during the week presented by that hippy vicar Peter Owen Jones. It was about life and wildlife in the new forest where Packham live. Amongst other interesting stuff it showed how the national trust  burn of  rank heather on rotation for regenerating, grazing, wildlife and for fire breaks like this clip. Have never heard Packham complaining about it on his door step. Strange that! I think he wanted to stop commoners grazing though?  NB

TBH they are so obsessed with banning driven grouse [at the moment] they are oblivious to the benefits that managed moorland brings to all wildlife..I recently read that the UK has 70% of the WORLDS moorland, this is very precious resource that given the antics of these ****s will be turned into scrub woodland that harbours none of the birds they shout about preserving..

Edited by islandgun

56 minutes ago, islandgun said:

TBH they are so obsessed with banning driven grouse [at the moment] they are oblivious to the benefits that managed moorland brings to all wildlife..I recently read that the UK has 70% of the WORLDS moorland, this is very precious resource that given the antics of these ****s will be turned into scrub woodland that harbours none of the birds they shout about preserving..

It’s not about the grouse or the moorland 

its about their conception of the people who enjoy it 

they don’t care about the birds and habitats 

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

It’s not about the grouse or the moorland 

its about their conception of the people who enjoy it 

they don’t care about the birds and habitats 

But they are basing and winning the debate on the ecological standpoint, It would be easy to win the debate if/when we prove they are incorrect [which they are] forget shooting, its about an important habitat destruction, although shooting and livestock grazing has maintained the moor for the benefit of all the creatures that have evolved to live in it..

Brilliant!! Well done TGS team!! Thanks for posting Mudpattern!  Already friends that have viewed it on youtube who are not shooters but real conservationists saying how good, informative, factual, and well made it is! Needs sharing! . . . Also a good video up on Fieldsports Channel of CJ interviewing Robin Page of CRT.   NB

One point which stuck out for me was the professor at Liverpool Uni.......saying "take the emotion out" of the argument, it's not scientific!

Shows what a hypocrite Avery is, when he said in the WJ interview with Charlie Jacobi on the FIeldsports channel, that he (MA) is a scientist and he (CJ) isn't!...yet he consistently uses emotion, not science to attack driven Grouse shooting in his wholly political crusade to get it banned!

Excellent programme!....but how can it be gotten out on general social media release?

• 3 weeks later...

It was a highlight, and a shock to me when Dr Marrs was so damn objective! 

Every scientist we hear on the subject has some wider political agenda, and the Dr was adamant that there is no place for bias in science.

Seems to have gone down fairly well on the whole - with only a few anti comments, and even they are fairly accepting of what the film showed - with the exception of the raptor issue (that the NGO asked us not to approach!)

We are planning some good stuff for our next documentary - although it may be a little controversial.

I look forward to BASC's own documentaries in the future, with a more experienced videographer, bigger team and larger budget by far, they should be producing some rather special stuff...

lets keep it simple people are too sanitised from where their food comes from (Tesco)       basc and others  missed the buss on informing joe public  again after the event  antis are on the ball why are we behind the 8  ball    WJ and others may be hypocrites  and yet  they get far more pr time than legitimate country sports do,  be it fishing shooting stalking its about a food resource rather than Tesco blaa  produce      bias tv bbc     every one to afraid to upset minority groups   in a few yrs we will be a minority unless we fight back  its a bit like ram it down your throat re   vegan  food choices     gay   ,ethnic ,cultural, sexual, non descript , non gender,  if you don't like it you are not one of us  so god help you     I'm lucky I can provide seasonal game meats and veg for my kids  and will do so  how about others who  rely on supermarkets  chains which  don't have kahunas to tell the non meat eaters to go forth  and multiply full stop,,,  I don't know where the end is as the hatred groups are gaining ground every day only god can help us and I don't believe in god