3 1/2 “ 12 vs 3”..?

wildfowler.250

So as title really. Been using Gamebore mammoth 42g 1’s for several years now to good effect. But I do shoot about 1/3 of my geese with mammoth 36g 3 duck shells in by chance. 

Has anyone dropped down from a 3 1/2” cartridge to a 3” and noticed any difference? They’re reasonably cheaper,(not a big factor) and I would imagine less recoil,(again not really an issue). Are the bigger shells worth the money. I think the difference is probably psychological but it’s hard to go for the lighter shell for foreshore shooting.

Interested if anyone has any comparisons.

I used the mammoth 42g BB for two or three  seasons on geese. I done what your thinking.but went and sold my 31/2" gun for a 3" as didn't use too many 42g carts for a couple seasons. Then the geese started staying out at limits of steel. 3" just were not dropping them. Could hear the strikes but not enough in the pattern.

I use mostly 3" still but will carry the 42g if I see them staying at range. Always good to have them if needed. 

I think 3 1/2" give you more in pattern density, otherwise we would all.use 2 3/4" carts as 3" wouldn't be needed. Similar payload to a 10bore without needing to carry one. Or pay the higher price for 10 bore carts.

I patterned my 31/2" mammoths in 1 and BB with a kicks modified at just shy of 60 yards. Good patterns at range.

This new tungsten super shot send to be the way forward in shorter carts for long range geese.

Edited by figgy

I used to have a 3 1/2" Xtrema2, the few geese I got with it I shot mainly with 3" eley lightning's, what I realised was I couldn't hit many ducks with it when they were zipping by less than 30 yards away. I have a sxs game gun I can use bismuth in for ducks or if after geese I can use a 10 bore sxs so when the chance came to swap the xtrema for an air rifle I wanted I took it.

52 minutes ago, shakin stevens said:

Which shop do you buy your gamebore steel shells from up north ? Only got tain gunshop and he sells Winchester, would rather use gamebore.

Regards .

I buy J cartridges online every other year. Usually ship to a central address then take them up with me as you get shafted for extra postage 

49 minutes ago, Ttfjlc said:

I used to have a 3 1/2" Xtrema2, the few geese I got with it I shot mainly with 3" eley lightning's, what I realised was I couldn't hit many ducks with it when they were zipping by less than 30 yards away. I have a sxs game gun I can use bismuth in for ducks or if after geese I can use a 10 bore sxs so when the chance came to swap the xtrema for an air rifle I wanted I took it.

The 10 will certainly pattern better!

6 hours ago, figgy said:

I used the mammoth 42g BB for two or three  seasons on geese. I done what your thinking.but went and sold my 31/2" gun for a 3" as didn't use too many 42g carts for a couple seasons. Then the geese started staying out at limits of steel. 3" just were not dropping them. Could hear the strikes but not enough in the pattern.

I use mostly 3" still but will carry the 42g if I see them staying at range. Always good to have them if needed. 

I think 3 1/2" give you more in pattern density, otherwise we would all.use 2 3/4" carts as 3" wouldn't be needed. Similar payload to a 10bore without needing to carry one. Or pay the higher price for 10 bore carts.

I patterned my 31/2" mammoths in 1 and BB with a kicks modified at just shy of 60 yards. Good patterns at range.

This new tungsten super shot send to be the way forward in shorter carts for long range geese.

Woudnt bother me dropping to a 36g BB rather than a 42g BB as  there is only 16 pellets more in the 42g shell and will kill just as far as the 42g shell but cost a lot less to buy from the gun Smith although that don't bother me as I load my own.

8 hours ago, figgy said:

I too have had great success with mammoth 42gm BB. . I have patterned Kicks 1/2 and full choke at 60m. While 1/2 produced a killing pattern I opt for the full for real density at maximum range. 

I have never had a 3 1/2 inch so I couldn't say , but I find 36 gm 1s or 3s will kill a goose at a sensible range and the shells are more than good enough for any duck that just happen to turn up while you are waiting for the big boys .

Last season there were a lot of posts where the member was shooting geese at a good range with a 20 bore with I think 28 gm cartridges , so at the end of the day you , if they are in range with the gun and cartridges you are are using , then they are good enough but the deciding factor is , are you .

7 hours ago, Stonepark said:

20g of 2mm TSS in 410 is a 50 yard goose getter.

Phuu You should be Nutting Honkers at 80 yrd with that .410 🤣  Joking aside for me 3" cartridges 36gm Steel B's 2's or 3's very occasionally PWS Hevi-Shot or HW13.

20ga ( which i shoot and have shot a Lot of Geese ) 7/8oz or 1oz Steel same shot size as above but I've trialed some TSS 7's which is eye opening. My advice shoot with what you have complete confidence in and don't get caught up in Big Gun Big Shot is a must 

Worked out that hw18 28g of 7 reloaded at around £3.00 a go. Shame it's still so expensive.

After shooting more homeloads and the RC atomic, I'm more impressed with steel shot.

Looking forward to seeing how my 42g BBB perform on geese this season.

Edited by figgy

On 01/09/2019 at 12:13, wildfowler.250 said:

Cheers bud. I’m still sticking with a 3 1/2” chambered auto but wondered about using the smaller shells through it. I think I’ll stick with the larger shells for now, even if it’s for piece of mind.

always been tempted by the aftermarket chokes but guaranteed id see a lot of teal if I took it out..

I used both 3 and 3 1/2 in my xtrema 2 and had a bit of an oddity, the 3" steel wads had a tendency to turn over in flight. I found a wad buried under the wing (armpit) with some of the shot still in it, bird was stone dead iirc. I intended to get an after market choke to stop this but they were out of stock when I tried.

3" hevi shot was absolutely mint at dropping geese at silly ranges in the same gun as was 3 1/2" steel (but at lower altitudes), might have been a speed thing ???

They didn`t appear stuck, just that the wad had turned and buried itself into the armpit area of the breast, much like a solid slug, and there were also a few pellets in head/neck/breast too so not all were in when it the wad turned, so early after leaving the barrel.

I`ve got some pics on a HDD somewhere, and its probably on this forum somewhere too

Was the wad unslit ? I have seen loads on the clay ground where the wads have not opened at all and other where one petal has opened.  Made me wonder if the shooters thought I only clipped that must give it more or less etc. Or missed completely due to wad throwing the shot off. 

I'd be checking a couple more cartridges if the wad wasn't split. 

10 hours ago, figgy said:

Was the wad unslit ? I have seen loads on the clay ground where the wads have not opened at all and other where one petal has opened.  Made me wonder if the shooters thought I only clipped that must give it more or less etc. Or missed completely due to wad throwing the shot off. 

I'd be checking a couple more cartridges if the wad wasn't split. 

Was this the reason why some of the eley lightning shells were recalled? I ask I as found a wad from pal shells on Monday and it was unopened. I asked what he was using and he told it was eley lightning steel.