3 1/2 “ 12 vs 3”..?

wildfowler.250

Not as far as I know, I think the Eley lightning's were recalled because in order to get the claimed over 1600 FPS they were going over pressure.

Un-slit wads just tumble and throw the shot out at all angles, won't matter in wad retarding chokes as the choke will part the wad and shot.

On 05/09/2019 at 17:33, henry d said:

I used both 3 and 3 1/2 in my xtrema 2 and had a bit of an oddity, the 3" steel wads had a tendency to turn over in flight. I found a wad buried under the wing (armpit) with some of the shot still in it, bird was stone dead iirc. I intended to get an after market choke to stop this but they were out of stock when I tried.

3" hevi shot was absolutely mint at dropping geese at silly ranges in the same gun as was 3 1/2" steel (but at lower altitudes), might have been a speed thing

Do they even sell hevishot these days? By all accounts I’ve not heard a bad word about them but they price years ago didn’t make them sensible if you were shooting a lot of shells

13 minutes ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Do they even sell hevishot these days? By all accounts I’ve not heard a bad word about them but they price years ago didn’t make them sensible if you were shooting a lot of shells

Clay & Game do their Power Shot version 13g/cm2 but at their prices, i can get TSS at 18g/cm2.

On 06/09/2019 at 22:31, figgy said:

Was the wad unslit ?

Found the pictures, the wad was slit, so it is still a bit of a mystery why it turned

IMG_0269r.jpg.a015ba2367dec945f099c359f3be2477.jpg

22 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Not sure, I got some from Bushwear as they are local to me a long time ago as they are great carts but due to my arthritis I sold what was left of them a while ago, I didn`t shoot lots of carts but I wanted to get them while I could.

Edited by henry d

Did the shot stay in the wad or was it clear when you saw it stuck in.

I was out last night and flushed two duck off the water first dropped stone dead at thirty yards second dropped at about 45 yards, fell on the water and needed a second to dispatch it. 

Later called a duck in and fired at around 30 yards as it came straight at me. Thought that looked odd like mist as it was hit in the dusk light, dog picked it and when I looked the shot had took its wing clean off the side of the breast😒 will check how many other pellets entered it and what damage to the breast. Maybe a retained wad. 

Edited by figgy

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 09:08, figgy said:

Not as far as I know, I think the Eley lightning's were recalled because in order to get the claimed over 1600 FPS they were going over pressure.

Un-slit wads just tumble and throw the shot out at all angles, won't matter in wad retarding chokes as the choke will part the wad and shot.

I think the Eley lightning were recalled due to concerns over the shot column being taller than the wad.

Those cartridges were nowhere near as fast as claimed - under 1400 fps I think.

On 01/09/2019 at 12:38, shakin stevens said:

Which shop do you buy your gamebore steel shells from up north ? Only got tain gunshop and he sells Winchester, would rather use gamebore.

Regards .

If you check my post in the cartridges and reloading section - i was trying to set up a group buy to the Highlands on JC. :good: