Foot and mouth

digger

Was about to post a " ggodbye while I`m on my hols " post when it was bought to my attention cattle in Guildford have been tested and found to have the dreaded seal of death. God help farmers in the south east and may the devil take the vermin who slaughter in the name of the government.

Going on the plane with a heavy heart :)

Lets hope they have got it under control quicker this time.The trouble is that it isnt just passed on at markets,any cars,lorries or people who have been in the infected area can carry it.I have worked in the meat trade for over 20yrs now and this outbreak if as bad as the last one could break the british meat bussiness.Digger you say 'may the devil take the vermin who slaughter in the name of the goverment'.I am registered with defra,if there is a outbreak in my area i will be slaughtering infected animals.It isn't a nice job but it has to be done.All i will say is if people have to go near livestock farms use a bit of common sense.Keep well away from animals and try not to go from one farm to another without disenfecting vehicles. :)

Guest AP1shooter

Just back from Oswestry Show and there was a few Cattle there but they couldnt be moved from the showground until cleared talking with some Farmers that we know they where a bit down over this outbreak to say the least but roumour has it Farmers are going to be allowed to vaccinate against F&M.

Just glad we got out of Cattle years ago before the last outbreak

BBC say that the strain is one that is used for vacine production in the lab at pirbright :)

My sister in law works for defra and has had to oversee the slaughter of thousands of animals for foot and mouth, swine fever and foul pest disese. She ain't looking forward to this one.

Harry

The newspapers today are claiming that the outbreak has been traced back to the Pharmacuticals Company about 11 miles away from the infected farm.

Hopefully, that may mean its well contained.

This does lead to other concerns though of human safety.

This virus would have been wind borne some fair distance, there are quite a few places in the UK storing smallpox, ebolla, anthrax, etc.

We have to hope that perhaps they are a bit more careful to make sure their doors are closed tightly. :)

seems the containment may not be as good as first hoped. Sounds like the farm involved had 2 herds and the one in all the pictures was near the farm the others were grazing out nearby. My brother works in the industry down there they look after 1500 cattle in the exclusion zone so are more than a bit worried. Apparently due to the strain its not as easy to spot as its not so virulent. Fingers crossed we haven't got another disaster on our hands. If you shoot on farms with livestock phone before going as many farms are on a virtual lockdown.

"the facilities at Pirbright were being redeveloped following a report made in 2002, as a result of the foot-and-mouth outbreak the previous year, which had criticisms of the institute." - crazy.

This is all a bit close to home, especially as my very good friend is a dairy farmer down here :good:

DIGGER,

THOSE "VERMIN" YOU REFER TO ARE ARE MOSTLY GOOD HONEST HARDWORKING PEOPLE WHO ARE DOING A VERY PROFESSIONAL JOB OF HELPING TO CLEAN UP THE ****E LEFT BEHIND WHEN WE GET AN OUTBREAK OF FOOT AND MOUTH DISEASE.

I DO NOT KNOW NOR CARE WHICH COUNTRY YOU HAVE BEEN TO ON HOLIDAY BUT I BET WHICH EVER ONE IT WAS IT DOES NOT CARE ABOUT ITS ANIMALS AS MUCH AS WE DO IN THE UK.

AND YES I DO KNOW I AM SHOUTING

DIGGER,

THOSE "VERMIN" YOU REFER TO ARE ARE MOSTLY GOOD HONEST HARDWORKING PEOPLE WHO ARE DOING A VERY PROFESSIONAL JOB OF HELPING TO CLEAN UP THE ****E LEFT BEHIND WHEN WE GET AN OUTBREAK OF FOOT AND MOUTH DISEASE.

I DO NOT KNOW NOR CARE WHICH COUNTRY YOU HAVE BEEN TO ON HOLIDAY BUT I BET WHICH EVER ONE IT WAS IT DOES NOT CARE ABOUT ITS ANIMALS AS MUCH AS WE DO IN THE UK.

AND YES I DO KNOW I AM SHOUTING

I'm not taking anything away from this topic, as foot and mouth is the last thing we want to see...........but...............the last few words on pecks post had me doubled up <_<:lol: Talk about ****** off!

I'm with peck as well, The strategy for foot and mouth outbreaks has been refined over the last two outbreaks the one in the late 60's and the more recent one. We are on an Island we cannot have foot and mouth present and unfortunately vaccinating animals means they can still carry it but are more difficult to test. As it is so highly contagious you do have to slaughter everything within a certain radius to have a chance of stopping it. Give a thought for the people who have to deal with it they are normal humans doing a job and not one I'd want to be doing. My dad was a ministry vet during the 60's outbreak and I've a few friends who were involved in the last one and all I can say is they did what has to be done if we are going to retain a farming industry. With biosecurity this time hopefully it won't spread but think carefully before you go shooting and if you are anywhere near the outbreak and the farm has livestock call first as most farms in the area are on lockdown with no one allowed in.