Which shotgun ?

craig1982

Pest shooting Corvids, Feral and Wood Pigeons. A few rabbits etc, about 100 rounds a month. At the present I  shoot  an old  Ugartechea sbs and occasionally a Beretta 303. Just looking for a reliable O/U. Do not want a 40 year old Beretta that shot to bits, That's why I asked about an ATA or similar. The gun is a working gun,  not a show gun. It must be reliable....How about a slightly used Biakal ?????

14 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

More importantly buy something that fits you!

I'm agree with this. Guns only any good if it fits properly. 

With a £600 budget and only wanting a workhorse a lanber would be a good shout. I have had one for years and it's never missed a beat.

38 minutes ago, craig1982 said:

Pest shooting Corvids, Feral and Wood Pigeons. A few rabbits etc, about 100 rounds a month. At the present I  shoot  an old  Ugartechea sbs and occasionally a Beretta 303. Just looking for a reliable O/U. Do not want a 40 year old Beretta that shot to bits, That's why I asked about an ATA or similar. The gun is a working gun,  not a show gun. It must be reliable....How about a slightly used Biakal ?????

hello, nothing wrong with a Baikal if it is in good working order a fits you in the LOP and stock measurements,  the ATA, Koff  Yildiz, new would have a warranty and around your budget, Lanber do a nice multichoke sporter, where are you in UK, have you tried any in a gun shop, there is a Lanber game on gun watch, that would make a good working gun !!!! 

1 hour ago, craig1982 said:

The last conversation I had with a gunsmith regarding ATA's wasn't full of praise. 

He spoke of a young lady he knew, who had brought her gun in, and it was worn out internally. It had done two years of weekend clays. He couldn't speak highly enough of 70/80's Beretta's. 

Don't just assume thst because it's old it's shot out, my 1985 686 is still tight as a drum but you can clearly see it's been used over the years. The new silver pig doesn't even compare. I really do wish I'd spent a bit more time looking around for a second hand Beretta/Browning, Mirko or whatever before buying the ATA. 

Yes there are some on here who have got them and get on well with them but for the same or slightly more money there are much better guns out there. 

10 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Don't just assume that because it's old it's shot out, my 1985 686 is still tight as a drum but you can clearly see it's been used over the years. The new silver pig doesn't even compare. I really do wish I'd spent a bit more time looking around for a second hand Beretta/Browning, Mirko or whatever before buying the ATA. 

Top advice here. 

I also have a late 80s 686 and a mid 90s 682 both guns are far better built than even my 692 which is only a few years old. Also there isn’t really such a thing as a shot out beretta as most of the wear parts can be easily and cheaply replaced by a gunsmith. Agree also about a Baikal don’t think you can go far wrong if you want a reliable and cheap workhorse. But as others have said it’s all down to what fits. 

34 minutes ago, Wingman said:

Top advice here. 

I also have a late 80s 686 and a mid 90s 682 both guns are far better built than even my 692 which is only a few years old. Also there isn’t really such a thing as a shot out beretta as most of the wear parts can be easily and cheaply replaced by a gunsmith. Agree also about a Baikal don’t think you can go far wrong if you want a reliable and cheap workhorse. But as others have said it’s all down to what fits. 

The only thing that would put me off having a Baikal is the possibility of the barrels not actually going in the direction your pointing them 😂. Although to be fair my old boss had one, brought it new when he was 14/15 and is now in he's early 40's and still has it, from what he's told me he's done everything with it and it's never let him down so good ones are out there, but, like you said fit is key, cause if it doesn't fit, your going to struggle with it whatever you do. 

My local rfd was telling me the other week how ATA's and kofs have pushed the prices of the slightly older Beretta's and Brownings etc down because for a similar money you can get a new gun with a warranty. Which as I found out at my own expense doesn't really count for sqaut. What it also means is there are some real bargains out there waiting to be snapped up. 

11 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

He spoke of a young lady he knew, who had brought her gun in, and it was worn out internally. It had done two years of weekend clays. He couldn't speak highly enough of 70/80's Beretta's. 

What was worn out ? The barrels , the hammers / pins ect ?

I know someone with a 5 year old one , who shoots clays most weekends , and the barrels are still like new.

The question is too, if the young lady had a problem with a 2 year old ATA , why was she taking it  to a gunsmith ?
They have a 3 year warranty.

13 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

What was worn out ? The barrels , the hammers / pins ect ?

I know someone with a 5 year old one , who shoots clays most weekends , and the barrels are still like new.

The question is too, if the young lady had a problem with a 2 year old ATA , why was she taking it  to a gunsmith ?
They have a 3 year warranty.

All he said was internally, she was a family friend of some description. I think what he was getting at is that they weren't made to last. 

To be honest after that state mine was returned from sportsman in I would be wary of sending anything back to them.