Getting gun licence

Bell1

Hi am looking to put in for my shotgun license used to shoot when a was younger up to the age of 15/16 . Lost my way threw alcohol and ended up with 19 arrests against me 9 of which a was charged with one common assault and the rest drunk and disorderly/ criminal damage is there any chance of getting it ? Anyone else been in this situation ?am 31 now haven’t been in Trouble for 7 years .

Edited by Bell1

I was a bit apprehensive when I applied, due to a couple of D & Ds I had acquired in my early twenties... applied a couple of years ago at 33 and was granted a shotgun certificate... at the time the wording on the application stated that you didn’t have to declare any parking offences or fixed penalty notices... as my D & D was settled through a fixed penalty on both occasions, I chose not to disclose on the application. They were brought up when I was visited by the licensing officer and I explained that I thought I didn’t have to declare them... the officer did understand that the forms were not as clear as they could be but that in the context of the form, fixed penalties referred to traffic offences and advised that I should have declared them and suggested that I do declare them on renewal in five years time. Derbyshire’s view at the time was that everyone can choose to take different paths and that it wouldn’t bar me from holding a SGC. 

That said, I think it goes on sentencing... don’t quote me on this, because I can’t be 100% sure that I am correct without looking it up, but I think it is a 6 month prison term, suspended or otherwise, which would bar someone from holding a SGC? Can anyone else confirm or correct me on that?

1 hour ago, butchdickason said:

I think you should contact BASC or CA for advice before you apply.

I think BASC introduced a time limit on appeals for new members, again I’m a bit rusty, but check to see how long you have to be a member for before they will offer you legal support if you are wrongfully refused a licence. I think you have to be a member for three months before they will support you to challenge a refusal??? 

On 02/09/2019 at 17:26, Bell1 said:

Hi am looking to put in for my shotgun license used to shoot when a was younger up to the age of 15/16 . Lost my way threw alcohol and ended up with 19 arrests against me 9 of which a was charged with one common assault and the rest drunk and disorderly/ criminal damage is there any chance of getting it ? Anyone else been in this situation ?am 31 now haven’t been in Trouble for 7 years .

You can only apply but that is a LOT of arrests ... can hardly claim it's a drunken mistake etc. 

Did any of those arrests end up in any time served?

End of the day anyone can change so good luck to you mate, keep your nose clean and keep working towards it, even if not granted this time it may be possible in future. 

On 02/09/2019 at 17:26, Bell1 said:

I would say you have no chance but it will cost you nothing to try, as if you do get turned down you will receive your application cost back best advice I can give you is be 100% honest as with the record you have they will go digging.

21 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

You can only apply but that is a LOT of arrests ... can hardly claim it's a drunken mistake etc. 

Did any of those arrests end up in any time served?

End of the day anyone can change so good luck to you mate, keep your nose clean and keep working towards it, even if not granted this time it may be possible in future. 

No time inside but heavy fines paid ! Last time a was in trouble was 7 years ago and 2 before that time a lot of it was over a shorter period with D n Ds for very silly thing s still ends up on your record so it doesn’t matter what end of the scale it is on . Coming back to haunt me now 

Being , err experienced in these matters 😆 Ill say 7 years is not a very long cooling off period, especially when the offences involve alcohol and fighting.

That said, applying now wont hurt, if they ask you to withdraw your application, do so and wait another couple of years.

Join a club, go with friends, you can still shoot and gain experience.

When you reapply you now have an established hobby as a reason for your wanting to acquire a firearm, which will be checked, so make sure your name is down with the club secretary and he knows who you are, and that you are responsible.
This 3rd party opinion goes a long way to helping those of us with dubious pasts.

5 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Being , err experienced in these matters 😆 Ill say 7 years is not a very long cooling off period, especially when the offences involve alcohol and fighting.

That said, applying now wont hurt, if they ask you to withdraw your application, do so and wait another couple of years.

Join a club, go with friends, you can still shoot and gain experience.

When you reapply you now have an established hobby as a reason for your wanting to acquire a firearm, which will be checked, so make sure your name is down with the club secretary and he knows who you are, and that you are responsible.
This 3rd party opinion goes a long way to helping those of us with dubious pasts.

Yeah I go to a club and get out with for a shot my name is in the book thanks for the help / advice as av only getting back into it 4/5 months ago 

1 minute ago, Bell1 said:

Yeah I go to a club and get out with for a shot my name is in the book thanks for the help / advice as av only getting back into it 4/5 months ago 

Like I say apply, but if they come back and ask you to withdraw it , do so, it works out better for you that way for future applications.

Theyll send your cheque back and you can give it some time before going again.

Keep shooting, and keep your nose clean !
Good luck.