BREXIT

JohnfromUK

6 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Sure. But the problem is that domains are almost exclusively tribal. I could show you  the contents of a comment section of random national newspaper and without being told you'd know after reading a dozen comments which newspaper it belonged to. And it doesn't matter which paper it is, I'll almost guarantee that the vast majority of the comments will be negative. It might be the way things just are nowadays, but it's not healthy.

We’ve become critical of everything and everyone and unsupportive of anything unless it’s serves one’s own benefit.

Confrontation is a daily occurrence 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

And vice versa also applies.

Lets face it, we should agree to disagree and close the thread down. It’s been going around in circles, more times than the hands on Big Ben!

Don't agree the thread should be shut down, but your right about it going round and round, you just have to ignore it.

the next month could be interesting.

3 hours ago, Nuke said:

There is quite a lot of shouting/bullying to try and intimidate people from contributing, you need to dare to post your meaning for it to be heard in the first place.

/M

On PW? I can’t imagine why anyone would be fearful of posting what they mean on an Internet forum, unless it’s illegal or similar. 

2 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Sure. But the problem is that domains are almost exclusively tribal. I could show you  the contents of a comment section of random national newspaper and without being told you'd know after reading a dozen comments which newspaper it belonged to. And it doesn't matter which paper it is, I'll almost guarantee that the vast majority of the comments will be negative. It might be the way things just are nowadays, but it's not healthy.

But the thing is, negative or positive, your voice still gets heard, unless the domain employs censorship of course. 

Positive or negative depends on ones point of view; I regard views of remainers as negative, whereas they will view mine as negative. 🙂

5 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Bun Fight at the OK Corral, it is a showdown, will the remainers and the NoDealers combine to stop Brexit completely or will Boris get his way and fulfil the democratic wishes of the majority?

Who blinks first?

Remainer MP's, the vast majority of 'No Leave without a deal' MP's and the vast majority of 'second referendum/people's vote' MP's......have the same agenda! To stop Brexit!....but they ain't got the balls to admit it!........ Not just traitors but cowards as well!

I think the people’s revolution hasn’t quite reached Norwich yet.

Outside City Hall is at most 80 people with a couple of Anti-democracy signs.

I get the feeling the rest of us are a bit fed up of the situation and can’t really be bothered either way 

On 30/08/2019 at 14:32, henry d said:

I am not a firm nor do I have a pile of cash however I booked a holiday to Mallorca in early 2016 and bought a shed load of euros as we were intending to go again in mid autumn the best exchange rate I could get was 1-30 (and a bit) to the £. Then in June 2016, a week before we left, it all fell apart.

Today I would get 1-08 (MSE best rate). Fortunately or unfortunately, I have 400E left from back then and have to rely on a credit card if we spend that in October.

Henry, we didn,t Leave w week before June 2016, we were still running up to the Referendum. As I recall, the then Chancellor, George Osborne, backed by the rest of the Remain crowd, said that we would drop to parity with the Euro and the dollar, within a month of voting Leave...and that there would be mass migration, and mass unemployment as well. That did NOT happen. he pound dropped against both currencies, but to nothing like that  forecast! The reason was simple, the financial markets do not like uncertainty, but it then remained fairly steady, until the Remain MPs in Westminster voted her Deal down...more uncertainty.  One of my daughters friends is  in a senior position in the Treasury Dept of one of Britains largest companies,  with millions of £,s on a daily basis. The current thinking there is that within 3 years, the £ will be trading again at around the same level as it was in May 2016. Give or take a point or two. And that is based on both  Brexit, or no Brexit! 

18 hours ago, sportsbob said:

Nothing I said was offensive or a personal insult.

It seems the answer to my question is still a resounding NO

Are you sure?  I seem to recall being on the receiving end of one of them......

7 hours ago, Retsdon said:

The politicians will probably ignore us – as they usually do – but they can't say they haven't been told.

Can't argue with this bit.. .... Comment sites have become the domain of mob rule and the death of reasoned discourse. "

Do you think that includes this site, and why?

7 hours ago, Scully said:

Really? On this site and every other social domain, each person gets a voice and can put across their point ( rightly or wrongly ) without interruption. Everyone has a voice. That is becoming less common in public debates such as TV or radio, or indeed in public, where the aggressor will, can and does, interrupt, and shout over their opponents to stifle their opinions. 

How very true! 

6 hours ago, Nuke said:

There is quite a lot of shouting/bullying to try and intimidate people from contributing, you need to dare to post your meaning for it to be heard in the first place.

/M

Shouting and bullying? Really? Do tell, give specifics?

5 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Lets face it, we should agree to disagree and close the thread down. It’s been going around in circles, more times than the hands on Big Ben!

Why? Just when we come up to the most interesting period in politics in years, you want to shut down free speech? Strange.

5 hours ago, Retsdon said:

What you fail to mention, is that the editor of the newspaper in question will have weeded out those he does not want his readers to see. On nforums on the net, like P/W, this does not happen!

Hi Pinfire 

Where did I comment towards you ?

Bellow are the relevant comments from this thread

On 29/08/2019 at 10:52, oowee said:
 You can google and then ignore them as fake news and project fear.

I said
So as neither yourself or one of you fellow vote loosers can't offer any evidence of such a claim it it fair to assume the answer is NO. 

henry d said

One brexit debate gets pulled for name calling and getting personal with insults; what don`t you understand about that?

I Said

Nothing I said was offensive or a personal insult.

It seems the answer to my question is still a resounding NO

8 hours ago, Scully said:

😂 It truly beggars belief! I can't figure out if they're just thick, or just blinkered in their campaign, or just arrogantly believe that they are right and everyone else is wrong, so their hypocrisy doesn't matter. It genuinely baffles me!

Surely it just demonstrates some level of intelligence, this makes us the laughing stock of the world?

8 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Like a petulant child who can get its own way they just scream louder and stamp their feet harder

I noticed yesterday that Corbyn was calling for civil disobedience. It didn't take long for his mask to slip. Same old Communist agitator at heart 

If proven, that surely would constitute an arrestable offence or does that only apply to the behaviour of the lower orders?

8 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I think there is a genuine tendency among today's youth to believe Democracy means 'getting your own way'.

Like it.

17 minutes ago, old man said:

If proven, that surely would constitute an arrestable offence or does that only apply to the behaviour of the lower orders?

A number of the Labour 'great and good' including Abbott, Chakrabati, Corbyn, McDonnell, and two non MP types called Michael Chessum and Laura Parker, both of whom are Momentum 'hard left' activists have called for various forms of civil disobedience, bringing cities to standstill etc.

The police will do nothing, so in effect they are above the law.

8 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Why do think the thread should be closed down? 

If you feel it's content is stagnant or pointless, then just don't read it or contribute. 

If we all agreed about Brexit, it would be pointless, I'm happy to listen to remain arguments, when they make sense, and I don't believe for one moment that it won't be a bumpy ride, but as long as it stays civil, ALL the various Brexit threads have been interesting. 

The remain politicians  complain about prorogation because its shut down debate, but THEY want to shut down debate via suspending our legal government, and installing an unelected one to derail our leave date, and Brexit itself. 

Can you not see the hypocrisy in this? 

Please don't let this debate be a similar thing, where people wish to talk about it, but can't, because a few want to stifle it, because it's not going their way. 

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Why do think the thread should be closed down? 

If you feel it's content is stagnant or pointless, then just don't read it or contribute. 

If we all agreed about Brexit, it would be pointless, I'm happy to listen to remain arguments, when they make sense, and I don't believe for one moment that it won't be a bumpy ride, but as long as it stays civil, ALL the various Brexit threads have been interesting. 

The remain politicians  complain about prorogation because its shut down debate, but THEY want to shut down debate via suspending our legal government, and installing an unelected one to derail our leave date, and Brexit itself. 

Can you not see the hypocrisy in this? 

Please don't let this debate be a similar thing, where people wish to talk about it, but can't, because a few want to stifle it, because it's not going their way. 

My thoughts were no matter what is written by either side, there will never be an acceptance from either side

So this thread has now like the other, turned into a pure Brexit thread with the same points/ arguments from both sides being constantly regurgitated.

Why continue on? Is it so that when / if it happens or not, that one side can berate the other and say “told you so” or such like

Yes, I could not read the thread but where’s the fun in that!

7 hours ago, Jaymo said:

My thoughts were no matter what is written by either side, there will never be an acceptance from either side

So this thread has now like the other, turned into a pure Brexit thread with the same points/ arguments from both sides being constantly regurgitated.

Why continue on? Is it so that when / if it happens or not, that one side can berate the other and say “told you so” or such like

Yes, I could not read the thread but where’s the fun in that!

I think its called  freedom of speech. 

Oh Jaymo, all getting too much for your liberal sensibilities?

Debate, discussion, interaction, all done politely, gives views from both sides.

An interesting article;

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2019/08/having-abandoned-plans-for-an-emergency-government-corbyn-seeks-refuge-in-cooper-letwin.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Saturday 31st August 2019&utm_content=Saturday 31st August 2019+CID_86fdc2e95f6212a6530ddc32314e3273&utm_source=Daily Email&utm_term=Having abandoned plans for an emergency government Corbyn seeks refuge in Cooper-Letwin

Labour have abandoned plans to stage a vote of no confidence in Boris Johnson’s ministry when the Commons returns from recess.

2 minutes ago, muncher said:

I read a article that any Tory that votes against the government will be deselect at the next election,so unable to stand. That will worry some of them.😀

hello, i am sure some MPs have already been deselected but i would put this out to any MP going against the democratic vote of leaving the UK,  

1 hour ago, muncher said:

I read a article that any Tory that votes against the government will be deselect at the next election,so unable to stand. That will worry some of them.😀

I'd support that moral if its only those whose electorate voted to leave, but feel it would be wrong if their electorate voted remain.