BREXIT

JohnfromUK

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

That sounds like another example of a broad Brexiteer brush type of claim that can neither be validated or refuted and therefore it's just a rant?

No its not at all, try it for yourself. Try it lots of times on lots of different people, it works every time. Very few people can name 50% of the countries in the EU and the ones that do manage to are clearly struggling. We have been doing it for a while and its very revealing.

You amaze me, you are so quick to dismiss and insult, (and it is insulting, what I said was 100% true and verifiable) but because you don't agree with what it being said you become offensive. You are clearly a troll but even trolls need to reflect.

From now on I am not going to participate on any thread you are posting on and I invite other members of the forum to do the same.

Maybe some progress? The Tories look to be exposed and the Kipper shown up for what he is all 'mouth and no trousers'. It was easy to predict the Kipper not coping with the detail and process required to move things forward, but I am surprised that even with the Kippers legendary reputation for spin and bluster, that he could reach exit velocity so quickly. 

1 minute ago, oowee said:

Maybe some progress? The Tories look to be exposed and the Kipper shown up for what he is all 'mouth and no trousers'. It was easy to predict the Kipper not coping with the detail and process required to move things forward, but I am surprised that even with the Kippers legendary reputation for spin and bluster, that he could reach exit velocity so quickly. 

No Labour has bottled it big time and now have their tails between their legs saying the time is not right for a general election. As a political strategist Jeremy Corbyn is about on a par with Fozzie Bear. You can't spend three years demanding a general election then turn it down when its offered.  

4 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

No Labour has bottled it big time and now have their tails between their legs saying the time is not right for a general election. As a political strategist Jeremy Corbyn is about on a par with Fozzie Bear. You can't spend three years demanding a general election then turn it down when its offered.  

Jezza can... And will. 

If he gets in we will be ruined as a country. No economy, poor and wasted, in or out the EU. 

22 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

You won't be if the remainers prevail, and destroy a democratic vote. 

You forget I am a remainer! but let's not get into that whole business, as that's not what I meant.

This is the biggest constitutional/political/parliamentary crisis to hit the country since...perhaps the Civil War? We have protests from both camps outside Parliament shouting their slogans relentlessly, nobody quite knows what's going to happen next, and no one seems able to lead us there anyway. The PM has shown he's lost the authority of Parliament, and the main opposition leader is essentially hapless and an electorate that seems more polarised than ever.

And yet I'd take this over:

Libya, where armed militia backed by terrorist organisations seize control and lay seige to the capital, provoking fighting in the streets and civilians being killed in the process, both accidentally and deliberately.

Rwanda, where maybe as many as a million people were killed, whipped up into a frenzy by a dictatorial government with  the pretence of democracy and spurred on by a vengeful media

Former Yugoslavia, which tore itself apart and saw more individual massacres than any other time in European history since WW2.

Zimbabwe under Mugabe, where election after election were stolen, with opposition supporters beaten imprisoned and abducted in campaigns of tyranny.

Mexico, where drug cartels have such political power that it's impossible to move against them, and journalists are routinely abducted or murdered 

Argentina under the Junta, where dissidents were simply disappeared, many being drugged and then tipped out of airplanes, whilst their children were given away to other, loyal families within the military.

Syria, where a deeply unpopular, hated leader clings on to power by fighting his own people, killing civilians indiscriminately, supported only by a foreign power using it as a pawn in its own proxy war with the West, whilst the rebel army and islamist extremists behave as bad if not worse to those civilians they make the pretence of fighting for - assuming you're of the right kind of Muslim.

In countless places across the world, the political uncertainty we're facing right now leads inexorably to one thing: mass bloodshed

Yes it's a horrible mess, but we're so lucky to live in a country where the people are protected from its politicians and themselves. I'm sure someone will want to make a glib remark about how it needs a strong person to drive the country forward and sometimes desperate measures are required to move forward, but no one in their right mind would genuinely countenance any of the above horrors for the sake of 'moving things on'. We are at least saved from such wretchedness.

Edited by chrisjpainter

11 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

You forget I am a remainer! but let's not get into that whole business, as that's not what I meant.

This is the biggest constitutional/political/parliamentary crisis to hit the country since...perhaps the Civil War? We have protests from both camps outside Parliament shouting their slogans relentlessly, nobody quite knows what's going to happen next, and no one seems able to lead us there anyway. The PM has shown he's lost the authority of Parliament, and the main opposition leader is essentially hapless and an electorate that seems more polarised than ever.

And yet I'd take this over:

Libya, where armed militia backed by terrorist organisations seize control and lay seige to the capital, provoking fighting in the streets and civilians being killed in the process, both accidentally and deliberately.

Rwanda, where maybe as many as a million people were killed, whipped up into a frenzy by a dictatorial government with  the pretence of democracy and spurred on by a vengeful media

Former Yugoslavia, which tore itself apart and saw more individual massacres than any other time in European history since WW2.

Zimbabwe under Mugabe, where election after election were stolen, with opposition supporters beaten imprisoned and abducted in campaigns of tyranny.

Mexico, where drug cartels have such political power that it's impossible to move against them, and journalists are routinely abducted or murdered 

Argentina under the Junta, where dissidents were simply disappeared, many being drugged and then tipped out of airplanes, whilst their children were given away to other, loyal families within the military.

Syria, where a deeply unpopular, hated leader clings on to power by fighting his own people, killing civilians indiscriminately, supported only by a foreign power using it as a pawn in its own proxy war with the West, whilst the rebel army and islamist extremists behave as bad if not worse to those civilians they make the pretence of fighting for - assuming you're of the right kind of Muslim.

In countless places across the world, the political uncertainty we're facing right now leads inexorably to one thing: mass bloodshed

Yes it's a horrible mess, but we're so lucky to live in a country where the people are protected from its politicians and themselves. I'm sure someone will want to make a glib remark about how it needs a strong person to drive the country forward and sometimes desperate measures are required to move forward, but no one in their right mind would genuinely countenance any of the above horrors for the sake of 'moving things on'. We are at least saved from such wretchedness.

Your right we're far better off than all of those countries 

46 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Well we've gone a few miles backwards now

Parliament in control, and famous for having no positive ideas on how to move forwards.

So what's happened? Are parliament blocking the suspension then?

According to what Boris said yesterday that would mean an Election? Please don't say were still going round in circles 😭😭 

6 hours ago, Vince Green said:

No its not at all, try it for yourself. Try it lots of times on lots of different people, it works every time. Very few people can name 50% of the countries in the EU and the ones that do manage to are clearly struggling. We have been doing it for a while and its very revealing.

You amaze me, you are so quick to dismiss and insult, (and it is insulting, what I said was 100% true and verifiable) but because you don't agree with what it being said you become offensive. You are clearly a troll but even trolls need to reflect.

From now on I am not going to participate on any thread you are posting on and I invite other members of the forum to do the same.

I’m sorry if you consider my questioning of statements in your post as an insult. Ironically if I’d taken such a sensitive position I might have been offended by your original assertion, not to mention the suggestion I am a troll.

11 minutes ago, Mice! said:

21 tories rebelled

The loosing vote was I think 301.  Therefore about 290 Tories and about 10 DUP (I assume).

Therefore well over 90% of Tories followed the leadership line.  The key thing here is that when you belong to a 'party', you stand together.  You stand on their manifesto, receive the party's support in electioneering, are elected as a party candidate.  The other side of the coin is that when the party leadership puts a '3 line whip' on you - party rules say you have to comply.  90% were compliant with that.  The 21 were a less than 10% group.