BREXIT

JohnfromUK

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, oowee said:

Because we have EU product quotas from NZ. 

Because we have farming subsidies to protect production. 

Chancellor declares end of austerity. 🤣

We must have paid of the mortgage whilst we were arguing over Brexit. Still it may be handy to rack up the debt over the next few years. 

Quotas were introduced on nz lamb (dark day in my view), nz farmers found other markets. Subsidies encourage over production that is stored and wasted or dumped on open markets. Protectionism is not a good thing.

I’m puzzled by your laughing face. Is it doubting that austerity is ending or that it ever existed in the first place? Given that government debt has increased every year since 2007, i struggle to reconcile that with the dictionary definition of austerity.

27 minutes ago, henry d said:

You or I may be in a position not to buy it, but the poor will not be, again they get stuffed

How does that differ from the current position of poor diets disproportionally consumed by lower socioeconomic groups? Or is it ok as long as it’s good old eu rubbish food.

12 minutes ago, SpringDon said:

How does that differ from the current position of poor diets disproportionally consumed by lower socioeconomic groups? Or is it ok as long as it’s good old eu rubbish food.

It doesn`t, it was a reply to newbie who seems to assume that the poor can simply not buy cheap food such as GM. It is a methodology used by global corporations to get the last penny of profit out of their products such as the terrible tale (no pun intended) of the Pacific islanders and turkey tails, chicken backs and mutton flaps!

37 minutes ago, SpringDon said:

Quotas were introduced on nz lamb (dark day in my view), nz farmers found other markets. Subsidies encourage over production that is stored and wasted or dumped on open markets. Protectionism is not a good thing.

I’m puzzled by your laughing face. Is it doubting that austerity is ending or that it ever existed in the first place? Given that government debt has increased every year since 2007, i struggle to reconcile that with the dictionary definition of austerity.

The right level of subsidy encourages us to continue to produce food when otherwise we would not. Interesting that the EU agrees a quota for NZ lamb that the UK takes disproportionately to the rest of the EU. The new NZ trade deal will reflect this despite the fact that we will have a surplus of Welsh lamb when tariffs are applied to our exports. I guess we will just have to increase our subsidy for lamb production. 

Laughing face because the criticism of the left is their plan for spending compared to the fiscally prudent Tories that want to get debt down. Removing the fiscal controls at the time when we are to reap the brexit bonanza strikes me as a tale of two halfs. 

Edited by oowee

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Do you truly believe that New Zealand can export lamb half way around the world to us cheaper than we can sell it for from our own local established farms? 

they used to before we ****** up thier backs and joined the so called common market !

6 minutes ago, oowee said:
9 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

they used to before we ****** up thier backs and joined the so called common market !

Exactly my point. 👍

So let me guess, the cure for this is MORE common market/EU .

Did you ever think to yourself, that by having a strong 'free' country within Europe like the UK , would help to regulate the more negative aspects of EU imperialism ?
The much vaunted reform from within, can actually be achieved from without, making the whole project a better prospect for everyone.

Rather than the 'Borg like' methods they are using at the moment of 'Resistance is futile' and 'You WILL assimilate' 

Having a central state in Europe is the first step towards totalitarianism, do you really want that ?

Maybe reform will work externally but it's a very high price to pay for those trying to do it. Far more productive to me looks to be the swing in interest within the EU particularly with the Eastern European states, which we could have added our weight behind. 

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

Maybe reform will work externally but it's a very high price to pay for those trying to do it. Far more productive to me looks to be the swing in interest within the EU particularly with the Eastern European states, which we could have added our weight behind. 

Do you really believe we could ever have influenced things enough to change them?:rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Do you really believe we could ever have influenced things enough to change them?:rolleyes:

Do you think the model is sustainable in it's current form? 

If you think it's fragile than yes it will have to change and those within it will do the changing. Already there is lots of pressure from the former eastern block. Even  within the stalwarts of Germany and France there is pressure for change. The UK could be part of it but...........

Edited by oowee

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

Do you think the model is sustainable in it's current form? 

If you think it's fragile than yes it will have to change and those within it will do the changing. Already there is lots of pressure from the former eastern block. Even  within the stalwarts of Germany and France there is pressure for change. The UK could be part of it but...........

No, not at all, tha's part of the reason I and many others want out of the house of cards!

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

No, not at all, tha's part of the reason I and many others want out of the house of cards!

It's not like the UK to run away when the going gets tough but so be it. When it reforms we can rejoin if not before. Who knows when we get the much heralded deal others may say they want to join us on the dark side 🙂 

Just now, oowee said:

It's not like the UK to run away when the going gets tough but so be it. When it reforms we can rejoin if not before. Who knows when we get the much heralded deal others may say they want to join us on the dark side 🙂 

Don't hold your breath waiting!

9 minutes ago, henry d said:

Absolutely, poor and close to neighbours who can dump cheap animal protein on them...

Its like they live in a place with no access to fresh fish, fruit and veg for free isnt it ?
'No mate , Ill pass on the sweet potato and red mullet, give me that freeze dried rubbish, its much tastier, and wont rot my teeth or give me a heart attack at all'  

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

So let me guess, the cure for this is MORE common market/EU .

Did you ever think to yourself, that by having a strong 'free' country within Europe like the UK , would help to regulate the more negative aspects of EU imperialism ?
The much vaunted reform from within, can actually be achieved from without, making the whole project a better prospect for everyone.

Rather than the 'Borg like' methods they are using at the moment of 'Resistance is futile' and 'You WILL assimilate' 

Having a central state in Europe is the first step towards totalitarianism, do you really want that ?

If you are having a go at me youv'e got hold of the wrong end of a very ****ty stick  ! I voted not to go into Europe in the first place and for 40 odd yrs  iv'e been banging the drum to get us out ! and I  carn't  believe  what the treacherous  illegitimate politicians  have done to democracy  ! 

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Does it , really ? How come we still have sheep farms then ? How come we still buy Scottish , Irish , Welsh and *gasp ENGLISH lamb ?

Why dont we just fill the fields with turnips then ?

Tell me, what else does NZ produce in any quantity ? Why would they want to sail their lamb half way round the world to us ?

Stop being silly Grant, the spectre of the chlorinated chicken has no power here 😂

There was a professor on talk radio i think this week talking to Eamonn Holmes about brexit, and food in the states, he was saying it's some of the best food available in the world, and that deals with the states would drive prices down not up.

4 hours ago, Rewulf said:

They will find other ways to vent their frustration.

you might think so but out of 11 fellas in the brew room, most are simply sick of hearing about it. Easily 70-80% couldn't give a hoot, if torie/ brexit party did split votes we could end up with Corbyn by default, and that scares me way more than leaving Ge EU without a deal.

24 minutes ago, Mice! said:

you might think so but out of 11 fellas in the brew room, most are simply sick of hearing about it. Easily 70-80% couldn't give a hoot, if torie/ brexit party did split votes we could end up with Corbyn by default, and that scares me way more than leaving Ge EU without a deal.

🙂 Have been chatting to a few mates as I’ve bumped into them,  about things recently. 

There is a lot of anger out there. One has said he will vote Labour given the chance, just to pee off those who think the current situation is a mess! Several have said they won’t ever vote again,  ( my OH is of this opinion, and she voted to remain!) their reasoning being ‘ what’s the point?’ The majority said they will vote Brexit if an election is called, but the one thing they all have in common ( including my OH ) is the anger. 

A woman I’m working for at the moment said she wouldn’t be surprised if this doesn’t all end in civil unrest yet.

Interesting times indeed. 

On 03/09/2019 at 09:23, JohnfromUK said:

Hopefully Farage will see sense and do a deal with Johnson; Being realistic, Brexit (in any form at all) will never happen under a Lab/Lib Dem/SNP coalition.  It would almost certainly never happen under a Labour majority either (not that a Labour majority is actually likely).

The ONLY way a Brexit will happen is with a Tory (Johnson) government.  It might well happen under a Brexit party government - but that is not a realistic proposition.

So IF Farage actually wants Brexit (which I'm sure he does), the only way it can have a decent chance of happening is by doing a deal with Johnson.

Didn't you mean, Boris sees sense and does a deal with Farage?  I sense a huge swell of support for the Brexit party and they can't fiddle every seat ike they did in Peterborough.