BREXIT

JohnfromUK

Bearing in mind neither UKIP (before Brexit) or Brexit has EVER won a seat in an election - let alone got anywhere near a majority, they will leech some of the Leave votes, but I very much doubt they would win (at best) more than a handful of seats.  Brexit party support has been weakening since Johnson took over from May.

On the other hand, with the leave vote split, the Tories will loose seats - more than Brexit will win.  The result is Corbyn likely leading a weak coalition propped up by the SNP and LibDems.  That means no Brexit.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Bearing in mind neither UKIP (before Brexit) or Brexit has EVER won a seat in an election - let alone got anywhere near a majority, they will leech some of the Leave votes, but I very much doubt they would win (at best) more than a handful of seats.  Brexit party support has been weakening since Johnson took over from May.

On the other hand, with the leave vote split, the Tories will loose seats - more than Brexit will win.  The result is Corbyn likely leading a weak coalition propped up by the SNP and LibDems.  That means no Brexit.

Where will he win seats?

He will surely be dead in the North and Wales? 

He will retain the hippies and idealists that will always vote for him no matter what, they always will and never make a difference. 

1 hour ago, derbyduck said:

If you are having a go at me youv'e got hold of the wrong end of a very ****ty stick  ! I voted not to go into Europe in the first place and for 40 odd yrs  iv'e been banging the drum to get us out ! and I  carn't  believe  what the treacherous  illegitimate politicians  have done to democracy  ! 

Not having a go at you by any means. 

I was quoting oowee, quoting you. 

Were all good :good:

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

Good question. I wouldn’t like to see it kick off as I have kids, but could understand it if it did. Like I said, there is a LOT of anger out there. 

Probably a bit like hong Kong recently, regardless of which side wins. Something to watch on the telly over Christmas in any case. 

2 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Where will he win seats?

If you take (say) 1/3 of the Tory votes from the Tory candidate and give to the Brexit candidate ........... Labour will win quite a few seats where they are the runner up and the present candidate had a small to medium lead.  The peculiarity of our system is that win a typical constituency with maybe 70, 000 votes, the lead candidate may have a majority of only a couple of thousand.  Quite a small swing away from the leader would give the win to the runner up.

So:

Parliament don't want a no deal Brexit 

Parliament want (another) delay

Parliament want a better/newer deal, but can't agree on a deal 

EU don't want to negotiate

Boris has offered an election and Corbyn doesn't want it (having asked for it since like.......forever)

How is this going to help deliver Brexit? Have we not been here before?

I'm really struggling to get my head round it now.

I believe Corbyn sees the GE offer as a trap (which it probably is) so he wants the anti no deal legislation passed before he agrees to one. If he declines one after the legislation is passed then he really is chicken and I can't see how he could remain as leader of the opposition.

Things don't seem to be going so well for Bojo, Cummings and Co right now but the narrative does seem to have moved away from revocation and more focused on a choice between no deal and a delay to Brexit in the hope of a deal. That said it currently seems difficult to separate those in Parliament who want A50 revoked and those who are genuinely holding out for a deal - expect that to change soon...

4 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I believe Corbyn sees the GE offer as a trap (which it probably is) so he wants the anti no deal legislation passed before he agrees to one. If he declines one after the legislation is passed then he really is chicken and I can't see how he could remain as leader of the opposition.

Things don't seem to be going so well for Bojo, Cummings and Co right now but the narrative does seem to have moved away from revocation and more focused on a choice between no deal and a delay to Brexit in the hope of a deal. That said it currently seems difficult to separate those in Parliament who want A50 revoked and those who are genuinely holding out for a deal - expect that to change soon...

Yes January 2020 has been mentioned repeatedly, after 3 years will an extra couple of months lead to a deal, I really don't think so!

JC will progress from CHICKEN to HEADLESS CHICKEN soon!

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes January 2020 has been mentioned repeatedly, after 3 years will an extra couple of months lead to a deal, I really don't think so!

JC will progress from CHICKEN to HEADLESS CHICKEN soon!

I'm skeptical about the prospect of a revised deal too. All the main players seem to be playing silly ******* which really isn't helping.

25 minutes ago, hedge said:

So:

Boris has offered an election and Corbyn doesn't want it (having asked for it since like.......forever)

Don’t worry. We ain’t leaving, so just carry on regardless. 🙂

23 hours ago, Rewulf said:

I dont think were quite at that stage yet 😄

And I dont believe remainers should be counting theyre chickens yet either, this move was likely anticipated.

The question I have for the remainers on the board is , how far are you prepared to damage trust and faith in our political institutions, our democratic rights , to enable staying in an institution that doesnt believe in those rights ?
This is typical EU 'democracy' , force a country to keep voting until the 'correct' result is obtained, and if money can be used to 'influence' that vote, then that is acceptable.
How important is staying in this 'trade bloc' to you ?

Is it worth tearing this country apart ?

Talking of chickens 😕

Do you really think the question highlighted is the main point or even particularly relevant any more (sorry to ask a question as a response to a question btw)?

Would it not be equally valid to ask pro Leavers if Brexit is so precious to them that it's worth the risk of a Corbyn led coalition government? Even if not likely, it's possible...

14 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I'm skeptical about the prospect of a revised deal too. All the main players seem to be playing silly ******* which really isn't helping.

It certainly isn't!

9 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Talking of chickens 😕

Do you really think the question highlighted is the main point or even particularly relevant any more (sorry to ask a question as a response to a question btw)?

Would it not be equally valid to ask pro Leavers if Brexit is so precious to them that it's worth the risk of a Corbyn led coalition government? Even if not likely, it's possible...

I think we are up **** creek without a paddle and really no option of finding something paddle like with which to propel our craft!

3 minutes ago, discobob said:

can we start a petition to get Parliament dissolved because it isn't fit for purpose and doesn't meet its primary role - to represent the people??

now theres a thought...................

anyone called Cromwell on pigeonwatch ?...........your country needs you

1 hour ago, hedge said:

So:

Yep no doubt about it the Tories have made the biggest .... up in history. Who in their right minds voted for the kipper despite all the warnings and the writing on the wall. Seems to me there is a big disconnect between the aged Tory membership and the realities of today. 

Our political system is simply not geared up to deal with complex long term tasks, our politicians even less so. It reminds me very much of the financial chaos in Greece where a technocrat government was put in place to resolve the crisis. 

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Not Cromwell, Guy Fawkes!

the trouble with guy fawkes..............yew blow the lot up............then lo and behold another lot the same step in....greed and stupidity abhore a vacumn

at least with the cromwell option...you can keep yer foot on the back of their necks...firmly pressing their faces into the mud..

1 hour ago, discobob said:

can we start a petition to get Parliament dissolved because it isn't fit for purpose and doesn't meet its primary role - to represent the people??

hello, i very much agree, all those MPs who voted to avoid brexit should be de selected, as much as they did not like the vote leaving the UK, it was a democratic vote,  

This is the EU's latest notification on no deal Brexit preparations. It is of course produced for citizens and businesses in the EU and not for people in the UK (who will no longer be in the EU). But it's very much worth reading because it gives an inkling of what might be coming down the pike.  It gives examples of what tariffs will need to be applied on goods entering the EU. It gives examples of what checks will need to be made. It says what paperwork will need to be submitted. It lets fall little red flags like...

( on medicines) .....This progress was achieved in part due to a temporary exemption providing companies with time until the end of 2019 to transfer their batch testing facilities from the United Kingdom to the EU27. While these developments are positive, industry is strongly encouraged to ensure that all concerned authorised products are in full regulatory compliance by 31 October 2019 and that the transfer of their batch testing facilities is completed by 31 December 2019..

(on financial services) .... The first of these two decisions allows the European Securities and Markets Authority to recognise temporarily central counterparties currently established in the United Kingdom, allowing them to continue providing services in the Union. It expires on 30 March 26 Regulation ...The second one temporarily allows UK central securities depositories to continue providing notary and central maintenance services to operators in the Union. It expires on 30 March 2021. Additionally, the Commission adopted two Delegated Regulations to allow EU27 operators with outstanding non-cleared derivative contracts to replace UK counterparties with EU counterparties

And if you go into the links provided there is screeds of this stuff, sector by sector. But what some people seem to forget is that these are people's livelihoods that will going up in smoke. Naturally it's not in its interests for a government to tell the public that what it is planning will be an economic tsunami for  an awful lot of people. And Dominic Cummings is a man on a mission and doesn't give a damn.

But there are plainly many MPs who still feel a responsibility to act in the best interests of their constituents and the country at large. It's called doing their job.