BREXIT

JohnfromUK

21 minutes ago, RSQ3John said:

The whole Brexit thing would be very funny if it were not that the future of the UK was as stake.

1) Political parties come and go - I kind of feel that we are getting the feeling that the people's elected representatives are doing anything but that.  

2) Whilst the political nit-wits preside over the pile the real work of making things happen gets done in Whitehall by civil servants.

3) So when the Brexit vote resulted in a 'Leave' edict the Whitehall teams will have responded with 'it ain't that easy' - which is absolutely true.

4) I've spent a sizeable chunk of the last 35 years working across the European Union/the world in a variety of businesses and industries (IT Enterprise software Pre-Sales) and still do it today and know just how deeply the UK is integrated into the EU, it's laws, taxation and processes - it's hard to think of a corner of our society that won't be affected by leaving the EU - some positively, some negatively.

5)  So whilst a democratic process has taken place and a conclusion made - 'Leave' the reality away from the Boris Johnson puff is that it will take years to work through something that took 40 years to assemble.   It's not rocket science - 40 years to build, 3 years to disassemble?  Was never going to happen was it?

6) Sadly - the UK has become the subject of much mirth and amusement - in normal business in Europe, the kind many here work for.  Jokes akin to the UK's ability to organising a heavy drinking session in Brewery - we'd probably try it in a Lemonade factory.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with most of that, but we were given a referendum in a cynical attempt to silence a growing political movement, but the majority voted in favour of that movement.

Now we have to get on with honouring the result of that democratic vote, like all other democratic results we have honoured. What is the alternative? Do we pick and choose which results we honour? If so then what is the point of voting? The establishment have to be very careful as to the precedent they may inadvertently set for the future.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Scully said:

Yeah, I'd have to agree with most of that, but we were given a referendum in a cynical attempt to silence a growing political movement, but the majority voted in favour of that movement.

Now we have to get on with honouring the result of that democratic vote, like all other democratic results we have honoured. What is the alternative? Do we pick and choose which results we honour? If so then what is the point of voting? The establishment have to be very careful as to the precedent they may inadvertently set for the future.

Yeah agreed - the majority voted based on 'facts' were provided by very politicians that are letting the nation down again.  A democratic vote for a concept that wasn't ever going to fly - shameful.

10 hours ago, Saltings said:

immigrants work their ***** off for a better life than what they left behind,   rather than  the home grown chavs  play x box dole dossers go to work when they have run out of beer money   ,  

an allergy I worked on a building site ,,, where the digger driver went for a walk quite often so I got a ******** off the gaffer for driving said digger being a chippy  (grew up on a farm ) ( my answer was if he was in the seat how could I get in the digger )  driver got a ******** / so if you are in the driving seat how can someone get in the seat / take your job  ,     immigrants can only take vacant positions and from experience are more reliable than locals all paid the same wages  local or ,immigrants want to aspire locals are all about the party  20yrs ago had 80 blokes on site 50%on site on Monday non native  100 % by Wednesday when the locals turned up god I could spit  as struggled to complete the contract on time ,,,,,, given the choice I would employ immigrants at the same rate as locals all day long every day  as they turn up every day and get the job done,,,,      home grown bitch about what they don't have rather than the job they do have for an local employers 

How did you get from EU Reg's & Directives to Immigrants?

Brexit - we all voted for something that in practical terms can't be achieved in the timescales the politicians promised. 

Politicians making all the right noises at a particular point in time knowing full well that they won't be twitching a muscle to make anything concrete actually happen - BorisJ being a perfect example.   Well that's never happened before has it??

Rather than leaping on the emotive hobby horse as the Spiked' article above seemed to do let's look for some realistic time-scale objective setting in conjunction with the civil servants that will actually do the work.  I dare to suggest that anyone who publicly quotes less than a further 5 years is dreaming and it's more likely nearer 10 - the politicians spout about trade agreements and borders well those are the really easy things to fix (and they have failed at that so it isn't looking good).  

The real stuff, the nuts and bolts of how the UK functions within Europe are much, much harder to work through.  It would appear that those political individuals that are close to the front-line of getting Brexit made a reality very quickly realise that having an Election (normally a political gift) could leave a party with an impossible prize....  a case of  "and the good news is that you have won the chance to govern the UK and the bad news is that you have won the most unwelcome prize in recorded political history"   No wonder the parties are all saying 'no election'.

1 minute ago, Tedward said:

can anyone tell me why RSQ3John ‘s recent visitor history is blocked ?

RSQ3John would be your best bet

18 minutes ago, RSQ3John said:

Brexit - we all voted for something that in practical terms can't be achieved in the timescales the politicians promised. 

Politicians making all the right noises at a particular point in time knowing full well that they won't be twitching a muscle to make anything concrete actually happen - BorisJ being a perfect example.   Well that's never happened before has it??

Rather than leaping on the emotive hobby horse as the Spiked' article above seemed to do let's look for some realistic time-scale objective setting in conjunction with the civil servants that will actually do the work.  I dare to suggest that anyone who publicly quotes less than a further 5 years is dreaming and it's more likely nearer 10 - the politicians spout about trade agreements and borders well those are the really easy things to fix (and they have failed at that so it isn't looking good).  

The real stuff, the nuts and bolts of how the UK functions within Europe are much, much harder to work through.  It would appear that those political individuals that are close to the front-line of getting Brexit made a reality very quickly realise that having an Election (normally a political gift) could leave a party with an impossible prize....  a case of  "and the good news is that you have won the chance to govern the UK and the bad news is that you have won the most unwelcome prize in recorded political history"   No wonder the parties are all saying 'no election'.

Indeed.

What the spiked article is missing is the fact that regardless of the details, law is law and nobody should be above it.

It astounds me that some people are arguing that the Tories aren’t in as bad shape as Labour. They are both in a mess and facing existential threats. 

People have been wanting change in the political landscape and it’s coming, in the shake up Brexit will probably fall by the way side but people need to look at the bigger picture and move on.

Ignored user activated, my Brexit stalker with an interesting obsession with other people’s intelligence can post what he likes and I’m now blissfully unaware.

The irony being they previously stated in open forum that they weren’t going to reply to my posts any more. You couldn’t make it up..

9 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

No problem acknowledging a really good article that I don’t agree with but that one is poor regardless of views on Brexit😉

How can you possibly say that ?
You only have one view on Brexit, unless you have spoken to a number of Brexiters who have stated that THEY thought it was a 'poor' article.you cant really judge can you ?

If I had to level criticism at it, I would say it is a little too emotive, but some people feel a lot more strongly about it than myself.
Can you say there were factual inaccuracies ?

Look , were never going to agree about the whole thing, but if you think the way remainer MPs are behaving, is  in the national interest, when the national interest won the vote to leave. and all this all above board and proper, then you are not thinking about it properly.
Imagine if Corbyns labour won a general election, but the sitting MPs voted overwhelmingly NOT accept him as PM , quickly passing a law through the commons to prevent it ?
Saying stuff like , we need another vote, or revoke the result and just put the tories in, as a caretaker government..
Giving reasons like , it wasnt in the national interest, or was 'dangerous ' to the country, anyone who had voted for him would be outraged, would they not ?
Especially when some snout starts telling you, you didnt know what you were voting for...

25 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Whatever way it's dressed up, working to prevent the UK leaving the EU is antidemocratic, therefore those opposing it by advocating or working covertly behind the scenes to prevent it are despots........end of!

One also has to ask  "who is paying for all this legal stuff?"  it aint the MPs that's for sure.

2 minutes ago, RSQ3John said:

That'll be us - the good old tax payer.

I would only be mildly surprised if the Tax payer was funding legal challenges to HMG against a majority vote of the people, but there again there seem to be few depths that remain MPs will sink to to thwart their constituents.

4 hours ago, Rewulf said:

How can you possibly say that ?
You only have one view on Brexit, unless you have spoken to a number of Brexiters who have stated that THEY thought it was a 'poor' article.you cant really judge can you ?

If I had to level criticism at it, I would say it is a little too emotive, but some people feel a lot more strongly about it than myself.
Can you say there were factual inaccuracies ?

Look , were never going to agree about the whole thing, but if you think the way remainer MPs are behaving, is  in the national interest, when the national interest won the vote to leave. and all this all above board and proper, then you are not thinking about it properly.
Imagine if Corbyns labour won a general election, but the sitting MPs voted overwhelmingly NOT accept him as PM , quickly passing a law through the commons to prevent it ?
Saying stuff like , we need another vote, or revoke the result and just put the tories in, as a caretaker government..
Giving reasons like , it wasnt in the national interest, or was 'dangerous ' to the country, anyone who had voted for him would be outraged, would they not ?
Especially when some snout starts telling you, you didnt know what you were voting for...

People on this thread are judging others on a regular basis, I think I can stretch to having a view on an article but how many fair minded Brexiteers would you like me to ask?

I agree on being too emotive and interpretation of factual accuracy depends on your Brexit leaning, just a bit too Guido like for me (I can tell you I am not a fan of Remainer pieces written in a similar style).

Hang on there, there is a difference between the outcome of the referendum vote and the national interest.

Part of the problem here is you seem to think you can tell me how and what to think, it "no work like that", at least not yet! 

Do you really, I mean really, believe that likening the outcome of the referendum result to a hypothetical GE outcome is actually valid?