BREXIT

JohnfromUK

This is amusing, we are almost certainly remaining so now,the toilet door is opening. After all the hysteria about how the uks position would be diminished in the world after leaving, the reality dawns; not a 1/28th  of a voice but virtually no voice. As fiscal and political policy converge (as it must if the euro is to survive), the non euro zone members will be increasingly marginalised. Once the veto is removed (though how that vote get through will be interesting) we will pure takers (ring any bells?)

To those that say the euro is a good idea, think back to what would have happened if we had been under the ecb rather than Bank of England.  With debt levels similar to those of Spain, our bond yields would have been through the roof. Our economy is not in sync with th euro zone and won’t be for some time.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Retsdon said:

Hopes. Like people fill out lottery tickets in the hope that they will win. It's not much of a basis for governmental policy 

Do you ever say to yourself ,'Im going to do something next week , next year, next decade' ?
Do you say to yourself, 'Im going to retire at 65' ?

What you mean is , I 'hope' to, I would 'like' to.

A government cannot make promises that are not within its power to grant/achieve.

Unless you are labour  of course, they can promise anything.

1 hour ago, Capt Christopher Jones said:

And you believe that will be a problem ??.

Just think no more currency exchange, for businesses or expats or holidays + no more Brit governments "meddling" in the currency levels. Win win  

Absolutely not, rejecting the Euro is the best decision we've made in a long time.

how many countries that adopted the Euro are doing well?

28 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

The EU played by the rule book and looked out for their interests which is reasonable given the existential threat Brexit posed to them.

This is of our own doing. Again where will we point the finger in the future if we’re out of the EU and things don’t go as we like?

4 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

The EU played by the rule book and looked out for their interests which is reasonable given the existential threat Brexit posed to them.

This is of our own doing. Again where will we point the finger in the future if we’re out of the EU and things don’t go as we like?

Spot on

10 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

If we don't like how things are going, then we can vote in another government, however we have no control over what Europe does or says, unelected remember 

19 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

The EU played by the rule book

The EU OWN the rule book, and are quite happy to change it, ignore it , or manipulate it to their advantage.
How can you exist or negotiate with that 

Which is why we need out.

20 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

given the existential threat Brexit posed to them.

Youve inadvertantly explained everything , to yourself.

21 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Of course it is , its how it works, we make a mistake, we get to attempt a correction, by ridding ourselves of the people who caused it.

You dont get that option by staying in the EU , they mess up on policy...no ownership, no means of ridding ourselves of the hierarchy .

17 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

So you think the pound would be hit harder than the Euro if the EU crashed and burned?

?? Of course it wouldnt !
But if we HAD taken the Euro and it crashed and burned ?
Our currency shared with 27 others, some of them far less stable than us ?
Come on, where is the logic in that question ?

We ensure that the second ref leaves no doubt as to what we are voting for.

You mean exactly like the last one. We knew - you just can't see it or are sticking your head in the sand. If there was a second - it would be the end of democracy - but just who could say exactly what we were voting for, in terms of future trade?  No-one can.  Anyone who claims to know is a liar or fool. There is no third option.

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

You mean exactly like the last one. We knew - you just can't see it or are sticking your head in the sand. If there was a second - it would be the end of democracy - but just who could say exactly what we were voting for, in terms of future trade?  No-one can.  Anyone who claims to know is a liar or fool. There is no third option.

going on about food shortages and other foriegn edibles..........

somebody did post on here "there are more than 28 countries in the world"..........(most of our goody vedge comes from Kenya....i was eating strawberries from chile last year , and the last i heard they wernt in the EU)............

i dont think they grow sweet potatoe in Rumania

Just now, ditchman said:

going on about food shortages and other foriegn edibles..........

somebody did post on here "there are more than 28 countries in the world"..........(most of our goody vedge comes from Kenya....i was eating strawberries from chile last year , and the last i heard they wernt in the EU)............

i dont think they grow sweet potatoe in Rumania

:good:

6 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/setback-for-brexit-planning-as-senior-uk-official-quits-1.4033981

Another one bites the dust. It's remarkable how difficult this Tory finds it to retain professionals. I wonder why that could possibly be?

:bye2: I can hear the table thumping from here. 'What do you mean the EU are asking for details?:lol:

3 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Why?

Yellow Hammer. 

Facing EU tariffs makes petrol exports to the EU uncompetitive. Industry had plans to mitigate the impact on refinery margins and profitability but UK Government policy to set petrol import tariffs at 0% inadvertently undermines these plans. ‘This leads to significant financial losses and announcement of two refinery closures (and transition to import terminals) and direct job losses (about 2,000).

‘Resulting strike action at refineries would lead to disruptions to fuel availability for 1-2 weeks in the regions directly supplied by the refineries.’

The UK ceased to became a net importer of oil in 2004. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/brexit-preparedness-correspondence-with-the-eu-institutions

Thus is the recent exchange of letters between Steve Barclay and Barnier, which I found quite amusing. Here in Saudi I have this kind of conversation with my students all the time. It goes like this.

S: Please, can't you just change my grade a little bit. If I get 5% more it will mean, etc.etc.
R: Sorry, much as I like you Ahmed, I can't do that.
S: But it wouldn't matter to you! Why won't you help me?
R: OK, one, because if I changed your grade I'd have to change every other student's grade. Two, the whole system depends on people like me doing our jobs properly. Your degree would be worthless if we didn't. Three, it wouldn't be fair on other students who actually did some work. Now, if that's all you wanted, I'm a bit busy at the moment...
S; But Mr. R, please. Why won't you help me...

I know exactly how Barnier must feel. When there is a system in place - that's how it has to work because otherwise the wheels will come off. What Barclay and Co are asking of the EU is that it bend its own rules to help the UK and it can't do that anymore than I can give a student an extra few percent to get him a pass or improve his GPA. Sure, it wouldn't hurt me to do it, but go down that route...

And this is why I don't understand this government. What it's asking from the EU, the EU can't give and it should know that.

Edited by Retsdon

Anyone not purchased a weekend /Saturday copy of the Daily Telegraph then do. Charles moore has written a biography of Mrs Thatcher and it includes some damning stuff on Major and Heseltine et all. A good read, so good I might just buy the book.  Shows what we 'The People' are up against. A load of treacherous self serving creeps.