BREXIT

JohnfromUK

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I worry about a situation where a student can ask for an upgraded mark and think they have a chance of getting it. If there is no chance, why would they keep doing it? If there is a chance - then the scoring is a bit suspect. All of which has nothing whatsoever to do with Brexit.

The next time a name for a student pops into your head, can I suggest "Fred" or "Ethel".

Why Fred or Ethel? Does that then point to an Older UK person instead? 
Retsdon isn’t based in the UK, so has a higher than average possibility of at least one of his students being named so!

Just now, Jaymo said:

Why Fred or Ethel? Does that then point to an Older UK person instead? 
Retsdon isn’t based in the UK, so has a higher than average possibility of at least one of his students being named so!

I think all of his students are male so I was going to suggest that Edith may not be appropriate but then we live in an enlightened world. However as he works in Saudi maybe it would be appropriate? 

I should of added the text that went with the post, so here it is - 

Daniel Hannan: "The mistake Labour and the Lib Dems are making is to assume Leavers are elderly, gullible, working class oafs who fell for despicable demagogues and are going to do it again."

Edited by Newbie to this

4 hours ago, henry d said:

Give it a break eh? £4M for a multi national NGO, small beer. The EU are assisting them to do stuff that they don't want to open another department and get them to do, that is how (some) NGO's and 3rd sector work.

I'm not giving anyone scoffing themselves out of the EU trough a break.

Little wonder his biased vested interest wife wants to keep him in his nice cosy taxpayer funded job.

21 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

The first few seconds of this commentary 🤣

7 minutes ago, oowee said:

Love it. I stopped watching after he had summarised.

I must be old and stupid, because I haven't a clue what you mean 🤔

2 hours ago, Retsdon said:

It's a conversation I have every single semester so 'Ahmed' was just the first name that came into my head. Out of 50 odd students there's always at least one who is going to fail the course by a very small margin (as little as .05 of their final score sometimes). Of course, the final score is made up of a number of different scores and exams, some of them subjective and some objective. |t's the subjective ones that they come looking for help on. If I could only give them 63 instead of 60 on a single speaking test, they would get through. And I can see their point, because on another day if I'd been in a different mood I might  just as easily have given them 65 on the initial score. I'm not knocking my students at all. Almost without exception they're the most pleasant and polite young men you could ever wish to meet.

The wheels sort of came off at that point🥴

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

I worry about a situation where a student can ask for an upgraded mark and think they have a chance of getting it. If there is no chance, why would they keep doing it? If there is a chance - then the scoring is a bit suspect. All of which has nothing whatsoever to do with Brexit.

The next time a name for a student pops into your head, can I suggest "Fred" or "Ethel".

Not many (If any) Fred's or Ethel's in Saudi🤨

EU is Trumped!

The United States on Wednesday said it would impose 10% tariffs on European-made Airbus planes and 25% duties on European products such as French wine as punishment for illegal EU aircraft subsidies.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/eurozone-bonds/update-2-euro-zone-bonds-rally-as-u-s-warns-of-eu-tariffs-idUKL5N26O299

German recession looking ever more likely.