BREXIT

JohnfromUK

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Mr_Nobody said:

In the last couple of weeks I've talked to two remain voters who say they would now vote leave. Can't say I've ever met a leave voter that has changed their mind.

Funny that, I know a few that have switched both ways and some more who are currently undecided. I even know someone close to me who voted leave, then wanted remain and is now back in the leave camp. My take on this is that a percentage of people change their mind.

I really would welcome a second vote to give more people the opportunity to vote leave and allow us to crack on with the next round of negotiations with the EU.

31 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Funny that, I know a few that have switched both ways and some more who are currently undecided. I even know someone close to me who voted leave, then wanted remain and is now back in the leave camp. My take on this is that a percentage of people change their mind.

I really would welcome a second vote to give more people the opportunity to vote leave and allow us to crack on with the next round of negotiations with the EU.

More like you want another vote so remain wins because when vote leave win again will it be best of 3

Edited by martyn2233

45 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I really would welcome a second vote

We have been round this 'loop' endless times; Cameron gave a vote to "settle the question once and for all time".  It was promised "make no mistake, leave means leaving".  Parliament passed the referendum, and the detailed question, and following the outcome - set a date for the process to be completed - 29th March 2019.

This still has to be implemented - due to the inability/unwillingness of Parliament to fulfil what they promised. 

There is NO POINT in having any more referendums when Parliament clearly has no intention of carrying out the outcome of the last one.

The solution to the 'problem' is quite simply to carry out what was promised. We have a Prime Minister and cabinet/government who are apparently prepared to do so - and Parliament MUST support this.

If Parliament had not done it's absolute utmost to undermine the negotiating position of the government - we would possibly be in a much better position. 

Edited by JohnfromUK

Have been on a family reunion this weekend and was dreading the inevitable for the conversation to get round to this topic, but was very surprised at the outcome. I didn’t get too involved but out of five who voted to stay, three said they just want it over now even if it means no deal, one was indifferent and the last wanted to remain but didn’t think we should have another referendum. Make of that what you will. 
Puzzling was that one of them who voted to stay, didn’t like the fact her granddaughter couldn’t join in the conversation with others of her age in the walk to school as they were talking a foreign language. In her opinion they should all be talking English! 🤷🏽‍♂️
Edited to add; for all those who live in Wigtown, you have my sympathy. 🙂

Edited by Scully

53 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

ONLY because you failed to get the result you wanted first time round!

How many more referendi should we have if it were to be another vote for OUT?

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Puzzling was that one of them who voted to stay, didn’t like the fact her granddaughter couldn’t join in the conversation with others of her age in the walk to school as they were talking a foreign language. In her opinion they should all be talking English! 🤷🏽‍♂️

My daughter has a similar problem, here in West Wales she can't join in a conversation in her native language as many of the children she goes to school with only speak English....

(ps Sorry Scully I just couldn't resist it...:whistling:)

3 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Funny that, I know a few that have switched both ways and some more who are currently undecided.

We still talking about Brexit ?😂

3 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

What next round of 'negotiations ' ?
It doesnt mater if 90 % of the voters go leave, the EU arent bothered , they still want what THEY want, and they have stated firmly they will not re negotiate the May DEAL, that literally no one supported , so the next round should be over pretty quickly :whistling:

But dont forget, it will be Boris's fault if we leave with no deal, as they keep re iterating ....

23 minutes ago, Aled said:

My daughter has a similar problem, here in West Wales she can't join in a conversation in her native language as many of the children she goes to school with only speak English....

She doesnt speak English ?

10 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

The ones to establish some kind of formalized trading relationship with the 27 countries that surround the UK. Or should we just not bother with one?

We need to exit first, and if we dont exit the way the EU wants , those negotiations may not be with the EU at all, but rather with individual nations , who may be sick and tired of Brussels telling them how their nations industries are going to survive without  UK trade.

12 minutes ago, Aled said:

Not very well Rewulf....yet

Sorry Aled, I didnt think about how young she might be, I know there are many areas of Wales where English is not the first spoken language, I just sort of assumed she was taught it at school if it wasnt spoken at home much. :good:

No need to apologies Rewulf, my response was very much tongue in cheek, both my son and daughter speak Welsh and English with equal fluency, and constantly get an identical mark in their yearly test, my son A+ in both my daughter 125 in Welsh 126 in English, last year....previous year, marks were identical just the other way round(scary really).  I was just having a bit of a joke at Scully's comment, about local language, socially (not through choice it just happened my Mam is a Non Welsh speaker) Welsh is my families first language.

Cheers

Aled

41 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

The ones to establish some kind of formalized trading relationship with the 27 countries that surround the UK. Or should we just not bother with one?

At least someone is on the ball. For the benefit of the hard of listening, I'm happy with an OUT outcome if it's based on a choice of the specific details.

10 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

At least someone is on the ball. For the benefit of the hard of listening, I'm happy with an OUT outcome if it's based on a choice of the specific details.

Would you be happy with a tory GE win , if their manifesto ticket  was on a no deal Brexit ?

I ask this theoretically as Im not sure they would do that.
But, there isnt time now to run a referendum before the end of the month, and I really dont think Boris fancies running a GE after another delay.

21 minutes ago, Aled said:

No need to apologies Rewulf, my response was very much tongue in cheek, both my son and daughter speak Welsh and English with equal fluency, and constantly get an identical mark in their yearly test, my son A+ in both my daughter 125 in Welsh 126 in English, last year....previous year, marks were identical just the other way round(scary really).  I was just having a bit of a joke at Scully's comment, about local language, socially (not through choice it just happened my Mam is a Non Welsh speaker) Welsh is my families first language.

Cheers

Aled

Ive tried, and failed to learn Welsh, its just too damned hard !

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7546209/Remainers-LOSE-court-bid-threaten-Boris-Johnson-JAIL.html?ico=pushly-notifcation-small

Apparently the PM CANT be jailed now for carrying out the will of the majority according to EU law 😂

Step in the supreme remainer court .....to err address the balance...

11 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Would you be happy with a tory GE win , if their manifesto ticket  was on a no deal Brexit ?

I ask this theoretically as Im not sure they would do that.
But, there isnt time now to run a referendum before the end of the month, and I really dont think Boris fancies running a GE after another delay.

Ive tried, and failed to learn Welsh, its just too damned hard !

Not exactly happy but I would happily accept the outcome if that scenario prevailed and they won on that basis.

My Welsh is pretty much limited to phrases used in mountaineering.

26 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

As one of the "hard of Listening" due to working with explosives and noisy Harriers and Helicopters, perhaps you as one of the "Hard of Thinking" Remoaners could just accept that we voted out, we didn't care about any deals, we just want OUT!

Just now, Raja Clavata said:

Not exactly happy but I would happily accept the outcome if that scenario prevailed and they won on that basis.

Why would you not be happy ?
Another referendum without a GE COULD solve nothing , as a minority government could have the leave result blocked AGAIN .
Its as democratic , if not more so than the first Ref.
No one can say were not informed this time , weve had 3 years to get informed ?
The people have chosen an outcome.
Whats not to like , beside not remaining ?

23 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

My Welsh is pretty much limited to phrases used in mountaineering.

Bet it’s the same phrase exclaimed in English or Welsh....by any climber if they fall whilst mountaineering? Starts with Oh!.......Ends with ****!

47 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

we didn't care about any deals, we just want OUT!

Northern Ireland  was always going to be the fly in the ointment when it came to arranging an organized exit. And to be honest it's a topic that should have featured far more prominently in the referendum campaign.

6 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Northern Ireland  was always going to be the fly in the ointment when it came to arranging an organized exit. And to be honest it's a topic that should have featured far more prominently in the referendum campaign.

Yeah , strange that, wonder why they never mentioned it ? :whistling:

22 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

So what was the Vote Leave solution again? Remind me,  I've forgotten....

The 'solution' is fairly obviously based on what the EU were going to accept, because they do after all, hold full sovereignty over the nation of Ireland, fairly plainly demonstrated by the lap dog attitude of their PM, Leo 'what shall I say next Herr Junker' Varadkar .

This from a pro remain blog in April 2016, show the question was asked, but not given prominence.

https://infacts.org/vote-leave-heavyweights-at-odds-over-ireland-border-brexit-lawson-villiers/

During the Ref. campaign, like has been shown, at length, Remain were pretty well convinced they had it in the bag, so didnt really put much stock in the 'Irish question'

So you can see, it wasnt deemed an important question by either side, for various reasons.
Which leads us to an important question, IS IT AT ALL ~?

Is it the wheel to break the spirit of Brexit on ?
Is it just an excuse to make a clean Brexit impossible ?
It never really became a talking point until 2017, when May did her Florence surrender speech and A50 was signed, its almost as if the EU suddenly realised it WAS going to happen, and started finding spanners to throw into the machinery :lol:

So back to a solution, Boris offered one last week.
It was a massive compromise, I dont like it, it gives far too much away, and keeps Mays deal virtually intact, which most people think is terrible.

But guess what ? The EU , and surprise surprise , Ireland dont like it either !
Who'd have thought it eh ?

The border issue was raised by many on both sides of the argument at the referendum. It was dismissed by the the Brexit side as either an unknown, not thought about or ignored as an issue. Unfortunately as with so many things Brexit, ignoring them does not make them go away.