BREXIT

JohnfromUK

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Serious question. 

Does anybody on this thread actually think that the UK being in the EU is responsible for the 'peace' on the island of Ireland?

There are some PW members from Northern Ireland (and very probably from Eire too).  Perhaps they might like to comment as they are at the 'sharp end' in this?

3 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Serious question. 

Does anybody on this thread actually think that the UK being in the EU is responsible for the 'peace' on the island of Ireland?

No. I think it’s a ridiculous suggestion. For someone to want to shoot another, is totally down to that individual. 

7 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Serious question. 

Not me, but what about those who export unicorns - the tariff on them will be hard to swallow.

No it’s sectarian, and the struggle by one side of the divide trying to get control over the other! That is why I think the Republic are not going to accept any deal for the UK to leave the EU, because if the UK accepts the backstop, it will separate NI from the rest of the UK and hold NI in the EU against the will of the unionists, making it easier to achieve a future united Republic!....the loyalists don’t want that and they don’t want to leave the UK, so the ROI and the EU with their insistence on the “backstop”, are the ones potentially risking a resumption of violence......not the UK government!

4 hours ago, oowee said:

We can leave. Simply walk away go now get out. But...... we dont want to. 

Tariff plan. Less than 20% of EU goods (by value) exported to UK will be subject to tariff. 51% of UK exports will face tariff. Can we afford no deal? 

Yes we can! within a few days deals will be done!

3 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Yes, I do. And I'm curious why you put 'peace' in inverted commas?

It's in inverted commas because the troubles never really stopped. The hatred is still there on both sides.

I'm curious as to why you think the UK being in the EU is responsible? Did the troubles stop the day we joined?

1 minute ago, dead eye alan said:

Yes we can! within a few days deals will be done!

lol Of course they will but they wont be the important ones that we want to establish.

I am sure we can roll over the existing deals because the EU will want to rewrite their existing rules of origin agreements for the benefit of UK exporters rather than their own. :lol:

Diagonal cumulation agreements for meeting 40% rules of origin thresholds.  It's just not that easy to set up.

2 minutes ago, dead eye alan said:

From the Diane Abbott school of mathes! 

Show me where they are wrong. 

6 minutes ago, oowee said:

lol Of course they will but they wont be the important ones that we want to establish.

I am sure we can roll over the existing deals because the EU will want to rewrite their existing rules of origin agreements for the benefit of UK exporters rather than their own. :lol:

Diagonal cumulation agreements for meeting 40% rules of origin thresholds.  It's just not that easy to set up.

Show me where they are wrong. 

No need to when the german car industry starts to hurt and the german recession hots up you will see what happens. 

Edited by dead eye alan

11 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

It's in inverted commas because the troubles never really stopped. The hatred is still there on both sides.

I'm curious as to why you think the UK being in the EU is responsible? Did the troubles stop the day we joined?

Being in the EU wasn't the solution, but it provided the key to a solution. And it wasn't really being in the EU that was the key, rather it was being in the Single Market which meant that the border could basically disappear. Of course there were lots of other elements brought to bear, but doing away with a visible border was one of the pillars.

Not sure what going to happen now, but forcing the issue into crisis is very irresponsible in my book.

5 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Being in the EU wasn't the solution, but it provided the key to a solution. And it wasn't really being in the EU that was the key, rather it was being in the Single Market which meant that the border could basically disappear. Of course there were lots of other elements brought to bear, but doing away with a visible border was one of the pillars.

Not sure what going to happen now, but forcing the issue into crisis is very irresponsible in my book.

And why would there be a ‘crisis’, and why would this ‘crisis’ manifest itself as the resurgence of people murdering each other? 

2 minutes ago, dead eye alan said:

when the german car industry starts to hurt and the german recession hots up you will see what happens. 

I've never understood why Leavers always think that the EU will immediately blink under economic pressure but the UK won't. If you think for one moment that the countries of the EU will bin the Single Market to accommodate the Brits, you're sorely mistaken. Polls in Germany are currently running at 60%+ to refuse any request for an extension. 

1 minute ago, Scully said:

And why would there be a ‘crisis’, and why would this ‘crisis’ manifest itself as the resurgence of people murdering each other? 

Borders are emotive things.

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

I think you will find that the planes that flew into the world trade centre buildings has a great deal more to do with it than the non existent border. Bear in mind that this so called border runs through peoples actual property. Quite literally through houses.

The IRA's funding disappeared overnight and the most powerful military nation declared war on terrorism.

Now I know you will say that the Belfast/Good Friday agreement was signed before 9/11, but the IRA didn't disband until after.

If you want to look at what is responsible for 'peace' in Ireland, then look no further than the attacks on the USA.

56 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Polls in Germany are currently running at 60%+ to refuse any request for an extension

Let's hope the EU dictators listen to them 🤞

Edited by Newbie to this

16 minutes ago, dead eye alan said:

No need to when the german car industry starts to hurt and the german recession hots up you will see what happens. 

I take it you can't find anything wrong with the figures :lol: Looks like your comment was simply from the loose gob. school of english. 

The BDI, Germany's Federation of Industry itself warned the UK not to expect its assistance as its priority would be the maintenance of the EU Single Market's integrity. This statement was echoed by VDA, the German car makers association.

7 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

That's all anyone has needed to fight half the wars in history!

You make it sound as if there has been peace there since the Good Friday Agreement!
If some want to return to Sectarian violence and murders, knee cappings, armed robberies, fertiliser bombs in shopping arcades, then believe you me, I won’t feel in the slightest bit responsible for voting to leave the EU. Why on earth would I? 
I’m assuming no Irish voted to leave. 

Just now, Scully said:

You make it sound as if there has been peace there since the Good Friday Agreement!
If some want to return to Sectarian violence and murders, knee cappings, armed robberies, fertiliser bombs in shopping arcades, then believe you me, I won’t feel in the slightest bit responsible for voting to leave the EU. Why on earth would I? 
I’m assuming no Irish voted to leave. 

I was discussing this very subject with a colleague at work today.

He was there in the early days.

We are both convinced that trouble will flare up again and that Brexit would be used as the excuse!