BREXIT

JohnfromUK

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, oowee said:

Nothing more than fools gold. 🤡

The clown emoji is very apt, as thats what Corbyn looked like afterwards.

The mans an imbecile, hes not only shot himself in the foot, his blown his leg off at the hip :lol:

Not be long before he becomes another distant memory like Michael Foot, and equally as ineffective .

3 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

The clown emoji is very apt, as thats what Corbyn looked like afterwards.

The mans an imbecile, hes not only shot himself in the foot, his blown his leg off at the hip :lol:

Not be long before he becomes another distant memory like Michael Foot, and equally as ineffective .

Its strange how some of these politicians have a habit of coming back. I am thinking, Blair, major and IDS there is a big list. When Corbyn goes, I can't see him making a come back this side of the iron curtain.

1 minute ago, oowee said:

Its strange how some of these politicians have a habit of coming back. I am thinking, Blair, major and IDS there is a big list. When Corbyn goes, I can't see him making a come back this side of the iron curtain.

Blair and Major came back ?
They probably paid some hacks to put their nosy observations into print, no one was interested, they are as has been as it gets , plus no one likes them as they both have very-smack able rat faces.
I bet Blair has to spend a good whack of his ill gotten gains on security, as I reckon theres plenty would like to give him more than a vegan milkshake across the shirt.

Corbyn has always been the grey man, what has he actually done, lurked on the back benches most of his life , whilst cosying up to any terrorists who would put up with his boring waffle.
Hes probably more famous as the Abbotts lover than anything else, at least her wiki page will be entertaining.

5 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

He is likely to be compelled to ask for a delay (I don't agree with it, but that is what the new law requires)

An interesting fact came up about that last night on a Jeff Taylor video. We are signatories of the Vienna Treaty (VIENNA CONVENTION ON THE LAW OF TREATIES SIGNED AT VIENNA 23 May 1969)

Article 51 - Coercion of a representative of a State

The expression of a State's consent to be bound by a treaty which has been procured by the coercion of its representative through acts or threats directed against him shall be without any legal effect.

There's very little doubt Boris is being coerced, they passed a law to make sure he goes to the EU and asks for an extension. Obviously I'm not a legal expert but it is an interesting point of discussion.

Can’t seem to post YouTube links from my phone but if you google Richard Tice Oxford Union there is an Al Jazeera feed with him being questioned by Mehdi Hasan.

Intetesting discussion but the bit I found most amusing was Tice saying if no deal Brexit goes ahead and turns out a disaster then the public will be able to punish them in the elections. I thought the Brexit Party was to cease if we leave with no deal...

3 hours ago, Mr_Nobody said:

An interesting fact came up about that last night on a Jeff Taylor video. We are signatories of the Vienna Treaty (VIENNA CONVENTION ON THE LAW OF TREATIES SIGNED AT VIENNA 23 May 1969)

Article 51 - Coercion of a representative of a State

The expression of a State's consent to be bound by a treaty which has been procured by the coercion of its representative through acts or threats directed against him shall be without any legal effect.

There's very little doubt Boris is being coerced, they passed a law to make sure he goes to the EU and asks for an extension. Obviously I'm not a legal expert but it is an interesting point of discussion.

If Boris asked for a two week extension, would that suffice?😂

A short primer for Philip Hammond on the benefits of free trade deals, written by Ian Duncan Smith MP

The news concerning the negotiations is at present confusing. Different sides put out different leaks and we all remain none the wiser. However the EU is at least engaging seriously with the UK and for the present that has given a number of people hope that something can be agreed.

How strange, then, that at this very point, Philip Hammond chose to take aim at the effect of free trade deals on the UK economy and assert there was “a lack of substance in the free trade narrative”. In that, he drew on what many economists believe were flawed assumptions underlying the Treasury forecast, particularly when it comes to Free Trade. For there is a great deal of substance underlying the belief in the beneficial effects of Free Trade, too much of which has been ignored.

Looking back, it’s worth reminding ourselves of the repeal of the Corn Laws in 1846 when tariffs on imported grain were eliminated. This move led to decades of growth that persisted until after the turn of the century. Singapore unilaterally eliminated all tariffs and other trade barriers with the result that their GDP per capita grew from 72 percent that of the UK in 1992 when they agreed their first free trade deal with ASEAN to 155 per cent that of the UK today. The same story has been repeated by New Zealand and Australia. The Australian government recently commissioned an independent report that showed the enactment of liberal trade policies had boosted Australian GDP by a remarkable 5.4 per cent.

Furthermore, Free Trade modelling by economists independent of the government and other quasi-governmental bodies produce benefits from Free Trade Agreements significant greater than the astonishingly low 0.2% of GDP that Mr Hammond claimed. The well-known World Trade Model at Cardiff University – a model which has over the years achieved a great deal of success in its forecasting – predicts a long-term boost to the UK economy of 4 per cent of GDP. Even the Centre for Business Research at Cambridge University estimated a boost to UK GDP of up to 2 per cent.

It is, of course, all about the assumptions you make. That the Treasury model could be so far apart from these real world and independent modelling results rests on their key assumptions.

First, there was the strange assumption that the UK would stay aligned to the EU’s existing tariffs barriers. Then hidden deep within the 156-page Treasury forecasting report and technical annex of last November were three other assumptions that collectively reduced what otherwise would have been the output of the model by a staggering multiple of sixteen. They were that despite the UK’s long-standing liberal stance on trade, the UK would eliminate only half of the existing EU non-tariff barriers in negotiations with non-EU countries; on top of that, they assumed the UK would be able to achieve Free Trade deals amounting to up to only half of our non-EU trade; finally they assumed that undefined ‘implementation difficulties’ (subjective or what?) would result in a paltry quarter of any Free Trade deal ever being implemented.

Interestingly, this report didn’t even consider that achieving a Free Trade deal with the United States alone would be equivalent economically to achieving Free Trade deals with the entire world, something on which most Free Trade modellers agree. This is because the vast US economy could supply virtually every good that the UK currently imports. Moreover, the US market trades pretty much at world market prices that are lower than those in the EU market because of the EU’s enormous protectionism. The reality of this is that the US is a microcosm of the rest of the world, something not considered by the Treasury report.

Then there is the interesting question of immigration. The Treasury model assumes there will be zero immigration in future from EEA countries, a remarkably ‘helpful’ assumption because it allowed the authors to forecast a reduced population which in turn reduces GDP. Yet this is counter to announced government policy. Of course, the final induced hit to the UK’s GDP is that the report left out any savings from the UK no longer paying its annual contribution to the EU budget – £19 billion gross.

As we head, I hope, towards a Free Trade deal with the EU, it is worth reminding ourselves that Free Trade has brought huge benefits to the world in recent decades. Importantly it has reduced global child poverty by half and improved the living standards of the poor. How strange then that some Conservatives should seek to denigrate the positive effects of Free Trade for the UK post-Brexit, whilst saying they support it elsewhere. I have no doubt that the UK will benefit enormously from Free Trade. As a natural Free Trader and the fifth largest economy in the world and the fifth largest export destination, we will also re-inject a new dynamic into the global economy.

Perhaps the last word should be from Nobel Laureate Paul Krugman (no fan of Brexit, I hasten to add), who said about the Treasury forecasts: “I have worried in all this about motivated reasoning on the part of people who oppose Brexit…” Or as Boris Johnson would put it, the ‘doomsters and the gloomsters.’

Edited by Newbie to this

12 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Intetesting discussion but the bit I found most amusing was Tice saying if no deal Brexit goes ahead and turns out a disaster then the public will be able to punish them in the elections. I thought the Brexit Party was to cease if we leave with no deal...

Well , thats it then, this proves once and for all , the Brexit party are made up of neo nazi , xenophobic, CIS gendered incels :lol:

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Speak for yourself!

I for one cant wait for Friday nights, when I can don full SS regalia, and goose step down to the local nazi working mens club, drink  few steins while listening to oompah music and German army marching songs.
Rounding off the night by beating the wife and crying into my schnapps glass, lamenting what a poor excuse for a man Ive become. 🤣

5 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Well , thats it then, this proves once and for all , the Brexit party are made up of neo nazi , xenophobic, CIS gendered incels :lol:

Strange response, fair enough if you don't want to engage in the points arising from the interview 😛  

I took it to show that Tice is pretty much no different to the vast majority of 'politicians' - largely unable / unwilling to answer most questions directly.

Just now, Rewulf said:

I for one cant wait for Friday nights, when I can don full SS regalia, and goose step down to the local nazi working mens club, drink  few steins while listening to oompah music and German army marching songs.
Rounding off the night by beating the wife and crying into my schnapps glass, lamenting what a poor excuse for a man Ive become. 🤣

Which masonic chapter is this? 😉

Just now, Raja Clavata said:

I took it to show that Tice is pretty much no different to the vast majority of 'politicians' - largely unable / unwilling to answer most questions directly.

He made a slight mistake, or he wasnt prepared for the question, maybe he had a rough night before  (down the nazi working mens club ?) 
Hes human , dont be a hater because of that.

9 pm tomorrow night, might be interesting, thats if anyone knows about it, Ive literally just seen it on a FB post.

https://www.channel5.com/show/live-brexit-referendum-do-you-want-no-deal/?fbclid=IwAR22d4K4W_HAjFJpSH8bJqhJ-3DoZ3qcijARYwgO11lvzO-OVgZ8HakV4vQ

Thats right people , lets keep EU jobs in the EU, err , except when theres big bucks to be earned NOT keeping them in the EU.

https://www.european-views.com/2019/09/rewarding-erdogan-forgoing-the-eu-the-moral-from-volkswagens-new-factory-in-turkey/?fbclid=IwAR1TkB8ae-oAvTOEhRDv8XbBWHYKvxE1XNSgja4njxJ-ARMOZW_0_TdeaOY

22 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Again, where is the data / model to suggest that we'd be better off if we'd taken a different course ~40 years ago?

What exactly is it you are trying to move us towards (putting aside the argument of whether it's a forwards or backwards step) - I assume you don't want to take us to the same place JRM appears to want to?

JRMs reason for leaving is purely self interest & money driven. The ERG have duped many & they believe them.

EG20WWDX0AI1sJf.jpg

'Let's just remind ourselves of the predictions certain economists and the then chancellor predicted if we dared to vote to leave the EU. Among then were huge job losses, rising taxes, plummeting house prices the financial market going into double dip recession requiring an emergency budget and the stampede of banks and financial institutions from the City of London as they abandon their offices and flee to Berlin or Paris.
We know that the reality was has been the opposite so
 far, in fact as shown here the City has grown from strength to strength whilst other institutions like the Deutsche bank struggle. The EU are desperate to keep hold of our money as they are already seeing investments slipping through their fingers as institutions invest in London. As a country we are resilient we plan ahead we have many talented people, and lead in such areas as fintech, science and still instill confidence as a safe place for investment'

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN1WU0I8?rpc=401&__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR2uB-8I1uHWEkCC4il-wJMf86sybhrPzvJqUKli5F59_zgIvmEFElw6MEE

5 minutes ago, Capt Christopher Jones said:

JRMs reason for leaving is purely self interest & money driven. The ERG have duped many & they believe them.

EG20WWDX0AI1sJf.jpg

Indeed and many believe this whole thing is largely driven by the real rich elite wanting to avoid new EU banking and investment rules which will affect their hedge funds and trading; assisted by very clever tactics of exploiting the sensitivities and biases of those who are disaffected and feel marginalised by the EU and wider globalisation.

Her Majesty actually referred to the banking aspect in the speech yesterday and I'm surprised to see that this has not been picked up on more widely.

9 minutes ago, Capt Christopher Jones said:

EG20WWDX0AI1sJf.jpg

did think that her madge......is starting to look very frail...which is understandable for her years....i really thinki she ought to put her feet up now and relax for her remaining years