BREXIT

JohnfromUK

28 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

If no deal is agreed, Boris should send a letter to the EU asking for an extension of one day!

That would not meet the terms of the Benn act which apparently states "The Benn Act, passed by Westminster last month, requires Mr Johnson to ask the EU for a Brexit extension to 31 January if Parliament does not agree to any withdrawal deal by 19 October."

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Sir Winston Churchill, February 16, 1922: - “The whole map of Europe has been changed … but as the deluge subsides and the waters fall short we see the dreary steeples of Fermanagh and Tyrone emerging once again.”

Nothing much changes...

Yep , people still keep quoting a long dead British prime ministers 100 year old speech, usually the Irish.
Like it still means something, or is somehow still relevant .

Keep raking through the ashes, maybe you can find an ember to get the fire going again ?

4 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

That would not meet the terms of the Benn act which apparently states "The Benn Act, passed by Westminster last month, requires Mr Johnson to ask the EU for a Brexit extension to 31 January if Parliament does not agree to any withdrawal deal by 19 October."

Indeed, but watch this , is there something up the governments sleeve ?

Benn seems to think so.

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

That’s a shame! Lol! 

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You are normally quite sensible, but can you explain why you feel the highlighted point above does anything other than make you look extremely stupid?

Leave and remain voters will be dying and any newborn will have to wait 18 years to vote!

Come on, justify your statement please.

I really hope I don't die before all this is over and done with (18 years ?) and I certainly wont be having any more children at my age.

This argument I would expect from a student type and not someone who appears to have some intelligence..

Just now, Retsdon said:

So you're going to ditch the Unionists?

Why ?
Do you really think thats whats going to happen , seriously ?

I mean surely if that was the case, they would be screaming blue murder now wouldnt they ?
Strange how they are so quiet , dont you think ?

23 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Arlene Foster -'EU sources' are talking nonsense. Discussions continue. Needs to be a sensible deal which unionists and nationalists can support.'

Not exactly 'screaming blue murder' is it ?

They want a deal, and they wont be accepting a bad one, the question you really need to be asking is , if Boris's deal is unacceptable to them, why dont they simply say so ?

8 hours ago, oowee said:

I just can't get over how these die hard brexiteer supporters still think that brexit represents a viable future for the UK. 

It quite simply does not. It is Hobson's choice for the disenfranchised, and those that cannot embrace globalism. It is the working man and everyone else who will pay for it all. 

I just can’t get over how these remainers want to be ruled by an unelected and unaccountable regime. Weird innit! 

I’m a working man and quite prepared to face the consequences, up to and including WWIII, but I’m not losing sleep over any of it. 🙂

17 hours ago, Rewulf said:

True , but until Brexit is sorted, this parliament is paralysed with it.

The point is to get an up to date position from the UK public, I suspect deep down even you are a bit reluctant to keep quoting a snapshot of public opinion that is around 40 months old.

If the Brexit issue is mashed into a GE then there will be distortion based on people voting along party lines over and above other issues because, believe it or not, not everybody is prepared to go to extreme lengths of a minority to get Brexit done (like ww3 for example 🙄). They just want it sorted, either way, without us crashing out with no deal.

Go to the people, have another referendum, what happens? The last little bit of public respect for our politicians will evaporate!

What if the result said leave AGAIN?

How would you remoaners deal with that?

More time wasted running things through Parliament in order to get absolutely NO WHERE!

20 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Go to the people, have another referendum, what happens? The last little bit of public respect for our politicians will evaporate!

What if the result said leave AGAIN?

How would you remoaners deal with that?

More time wasted running things through Parliament in order to get absolutely NO WHERE!

Cant speak for others but if a second vote returned a majority for a certain type of leave then I would happily accept that result.

5 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Cant speak for others but if a second vote returned a majority for a certain type of leave then I would happily accept that result.

This is difficult to accept. If people would not accept the result of the first referendum, why should we believe any of them would accept the result of a second. Remainers have form when it comes to respecting or otherwise democracy.

David.

1 minute ago, Kalahari said:

This is difficult to accept. If people would not accept the result of the first referendum, why should we believe any of them would accept the result of a second. Remainers have form when it comes to respecting or otherwise democracy.

David.

Hello David, thanks for your response. If your position is one of not accepting that there were flaws with the original referendum then I fully understand your position on this.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-50076186

I have to say this is going way too far and is indeed undemocratic, if the deal is agreed by the EU and UK government then it MUST be debated and voted for / against in Parliament.

The Benn act is supposed to exist purely to prevent no deal. These actions are hypocritical.

6 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

The Benn act is supposed to exist purely to prevent no deal. These actions are hypocritical.

The benn act is to frustrate Brexit entirely, it neutered negotiations ,and its end game is to revoke A50 , are you beginning to realise whats going on yet ?

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

But it wont be set up that way, what remainer MP is going to vote for a ref with just 2 or 3  options for leave ?
They want remain back on that ballot, hoping to split the leave vote and claim remain victory, we will then be in an even worse position, with added electorate anger.

The way things stand at the moment, they are arguing about BJs deal, every aspect of it, even whether to ALLOW a vote on it, this from MPs who supported taking the government to court to allow the discussion of Brexit !
Whilst labour have rejected it without even seeing it.

Put it back to the people, if you must , but only for leave options.

Personally, I think the best way to tackle it is to leave with no deal, legally we are out, but organise a 6 month transition period, to adjust and try and work out a trading arrangement .
The finality will focus the minds of negotiators, stop this constant back biting by remainers, whilst essentially lessening the so called cliff edge aspect, as during those 6 months , nothing really changes.
Pay them for the privilege obviously, as that should keep Brussels snouts happy.

Talking and listening to people from all walks, theres a common thread..We want this finished, sorted.
Its embarrassing.

That's the next staged reached, BBC reporting Deal agreed!

2 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

So why would you not accept the first referendum, double standards surely!

2 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Count me in.

15 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

But it wont be set up that way, what remainer MP is going to vote for a ref with just 2 or 3  options for leave ?
They want remain back on that ballot, hoping to split the leave vote and claim remain victory, we will then be in an even worse position, with added electorate anger.

No need to split the leave vote.

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

So why would you not accept the first referendum, double standards surely!

He reckons the first referendum was poorly implemented. Don't know why he thinks that it would be any different for a second one besides the options

Remain in the EU

Leave with May's Deal

Leave with BoJo Deal

Leave with some deal yet to be agreed in x years

Leave with BRINO

Leave with No Deal

:)

53 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-50076186

I have to say this is going way too far and is indeed undemocratic, if the deal is agreed by the EU and UK government then it MUST be debated and voted for / against in Parliament.

I am not following the logic. If it is an illegal proposal then that needs to be proven? 

12 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes , with the EU ...

Mays deal got agreed with the EU...

If the DUP scupper the thing, which I suspect has been the whole plan, then who can the EU blame ?
They cant blame the tories, they cant blame the DUP , as they will just say  , 'we dont believe this is conducive to peace in NI' or something along those lines.

The EU said it was committed to preserving the good friday agreement , and thus peace, how can it criticise those who actually live there for rejecting a deal that they believe damages it ?

The whole thing looks like it has been arranged like this, I wonder who could have thought out such a strategy ? :lol:

10 minutes ago, oowee said:

No need to split the leave vote.

Whys that then , just re run Leave /remain, what does that prove ?