BREXIT

JohnfromUK

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, oowee said:

He confirmed what we all know. 

How refreshing to see politicians working together. Greens, Clyde and Lib Dems showing the way. 

Isn’t that just repeating what I posted?

Your other comment is genuinely, hardly worth stating! :whistling:

2 minutes ago, henry d said:

There was no time limit on the ballot paper...

There did not need to be , we were told on the TV that article 50 would be invoked and if no deal was agreed after two years we would leave without a deal. The loosers have ever since been fighting against democracy that is why they are anti democratic.

45 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Can you please explain how, in the run up to a general election billed as referendum 'x' (2 or 3), what is anti democratic about a remain alliance?

Nothing wrong with a remain alliance, as long as you didn't previously campaign, and get elected on a (respect the ref) leave ticket. 

People can and do change their minds obviously, but without proof of this, the remain MP's are in most cases behaving undemocraticly. 

The real proof, will as they say, be in the pudding. 

17 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Nothing wrong with a remain alliance, as long as you didn't previously campaign, and get elected on a (respect the ref) leave ticket. 

People can and do change their minds obviously, but without proof of this, the remain MP's are in most cases behaving undemocraticly. 

I like pudding. 🙂

I’m really looking forward to this election, can’t wait. 

17 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

And what if that pudding returns an overall majority for the remain alliance - where does that leave the ref result?

Would that be justification for a second referendum or, putting aside the original ref result, would it make straight revocation of A50 democratic?

The thing is, for all the harping on about how bad labour, lib dems & greens etc. are, the cons and bp are hardly playing a blinder so far. I recall in the run-up to the 2017 GE, wondering if TM was actually out to lose and it has a bit of a deja vu feeling, am also wondering if farage is actually a facade and wants us to stay in the EU so he can keep drawing his salary and behaving like the obnoxious bystander role that he plays so well. Or perhaps his real motive is to bring down the cons...

5 minutes ago, Scully said:

I like pudding. 🙂

I’m really looking forward to this election, can’t wait. 

Me too, on both counts.

1 minute ago, Raja Clavata said:

And what if that pudding returns an overall majority for the remain alliance - where does that leave the ref result?

It won't. 

1 minute ago, Raja Clavata said:

Would that be justification for a second referendum or, putting aside the original ref result, would it make straight revocation of A50 democratic?

Yes it would, if labour/lib dems get in, you can have a 2nd ref, you can fix it so remain wins, or you can revoke A50 for me. 

Because, if that happens, I will be past caring. 

Good job it won't happen 😹

4 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I recall in the run-up to the 2017 GE, wondering if TM was actually out to lose and it has a bit of a deja vu feeling

I'm of the belief she DID set out to lose. 

She banked on the 16 m remainers kicking the tories out, but they didn't. 

Further backing up the fact that many people felt duped into voting remain. 

Not the other way round. 

This election is already a car crash for Labour, and there's no indication the libs are going to make huge gains. 

Even the staunch lefty media is abandoning corbyn and his hard left trots, they are basically unelectable. 

Plus whoever put Swinson in charge of the libs needs a slap! But stupid is as stupid does I spose. 

3 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

It won't. 

Yes it would, if labour/lib dems get in, you can have a 2nd ref, you can fix it so remain wins, or you can revoke A50 for me. 

Because, if that happens, I will be past caring. 

Good job it won't happen 😹

She banked on the 16 m remainers kicking the tories out, but they didn't. 

Further backing up the fact that many people felt duped into voting remain. 

Not the other way round. 

This election is already a car crash for Labour, and there's no indication the libs are going to make huge gains. 

Even the staunch lefty media is abandoning corbyn and his hard left trots, they are basically unelectable. 

Plus whoever put Swinson in charge of the libs needs a slap! But stupid is as stupid does I spose. 

You don't think the stupid trend started, or was at least continued, when the Cons put BoJo in charge?

I agree with you on Labour but as my 16yo lad worrying pointed out, there are a lot of people promoting Labour and Corbyn at the moment - it is all over his social media.

I admire your confidence in the Leave options.

There is also a growing feeling that a vote for Boris is a vote for Trump. That's a big threat to the Cons and they need to shift away from that position.

Further problems for the Cons are that "let's get Brexit done" doesn't really clarify how for quite a percentage of the public, who want / need clarity.

A manifesto built on Brexit and token promises (lies) on investment around police, NHS etc. isn't that attractive in the big scheme of things.

5 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

You don't think the stupid trend started, or was at least continued, when the Cons put BoJo in charge?

I was never a fan of Boris, and could never understand his popularity within the party. I'm well documented on here and elsewhere calling him a buffoon. 

I thought he was a mess. 

But then he got the leadership role he had so long coveted. And he seemed to transform. 

I'm still suspicious, but he has demonstrated good leadership, good strategy and direction. 

He runs rings round opposition leaders. 

So pay your money and take a chance on Corbyn or Swinson leading the country, or let BoJo do his thing? 

13 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

agree with you on Labour but as my 16yo lad worrying pointed out, there are a lot of people promoting Labour and Corbyn at the moment - it is all over his social media

It's all over MY social media! 

But an election campaign does not a victory make, with loony policies and a history of broken promises. 

24 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

That would make sense her campaign was so bad, Corbyn was promising unicorns that popped free money while she smiled and dithered. 

20 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

There is also a growing feeling that a vote for Boris is a vote for Trump. That's a big threat to the Cons and they need to shift away from that position.

How is that a bad thing? Has Trump done well? Is the USA doing well? 

35 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

manifesto built on Brexit and token promises (lies) on investment around police, NHS etc. isn't that attractive in the big scheme of things.

Really,  that sounds great, Labour are probably promising free everything for everyone. 

What we need is a functioning government again,  sort out the Brexit mess, hit reset in parliament and get the country moving again. 

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

What we need is a functioning government again,  sort out the Brexit mess, hit reset in parliament and get the country moving again.

I think Boris is the only man who will stand any chance of doing that and getting the seats to do that - but he needs to get those seats so that he has a decent working majority.

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

The thing is, for all the harping on about how bad labour, lib dems & greens etc. are, the cons and bp are hardly playing a blinder so far. I recall in the run-up to the 2017 GE, wondering if TM was actually out to lose and it has a bit of a deja vu feeling, am also wondering if farage is actually a facade and wants us to stay in the EU so he can keep drawing his salary and behaving like the obnoxious bystander role that he plays so well. Or perhaps his real motive is to bring down the cons...

Me too, on both counts.

We get what we deserve. Interesting times ahead. 🙂

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

Broken promises :lol: lots of those. 200000 affordable homes promised and none have been built

Tell me, how many did Labour build? 

You know in 2000, when they said a few thousand EU migrants would pop over for a bit 🙄

When that turned out to be a total FUBAR, did they start building affordable housing, expand infrastructure? 

No they did nothing, except clear the way for more to come. 

Now there is 3-4 million ( no one actually knows the true figure because no one bothered to count) extra EU migrants with dependents using schools, the benefit system and the NHS, and people wonder why services are struggling to cope. 

Governments don't build houses,  councils can, but don't. 

Be careful what you wish for Grant, because the big builders like nice countryside to build the sink estates of the future, full of foreign migrants who don't work. 

20 minutes ago, oowee said:

Broken promises :lol: lots of those. 200000 affordable homes promised and none have been built. 

So you keep saying. There are hundreds in Penrith, many homing Eastern European’s who seem to sit outside Costa everyday. They may be working but no one seems to know where! 
‘ Coming to a town near you’. 😃

22 minutes ago, oowee said:

Broken promises :lol: lots of those. 200000 affordable homes promised and none have been built. 

My brother lives on a new estate with a couple of hundred affordable homes (Affordable being bloody subjective)

There are rules for house builders to abide by regarding the number they must build AFAIK

38 minutes ago, oowee said:

Where will the new voters land? 

Since the referendum 1m voters have departed the UK and 2.6m new voters have entered the system. 

Try and find somewhere where there aren't houses being built,  I've no idea whether there affordable but they are definitely building.