BREXIT

JohnfromUK

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Can you please explain how, in the run up to a general election billed as referendum 'x' (2 or 3), what is anti democratic about a remain alliance?

There will never be anything democratic about remain.........until the democratic decision to leave the EU is delivered!

18 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

There are rules for house builders to abide by regarding the number they must build AFAIK

IIRC on a development of over 10 properties a minimum of 10% must meet the requirements for "afordable" and this increases with the size of development and at the whim of the planning committees. 

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

Thanks for that! 

A spokesperson for the Ministry of Housing defended the Government's record, however.

They said: "We have a great track record and house building is at its highest level for all but one of the last thirty years – with 222,000 homes delivered last year, and 1.3 million in total since 2010, including over 430,000 affordable homes.

"The number of first time buyers is currently at an 11-year annual high, and over 560,000 households have been helped into home ownership through government schemes like Help to Buy and Right to Buy

But if you like, you can spin it to make it sound like the tories didn't build the 200,000 houses the exact way they said they would. 

Bad tories! 

From facebook: "Does anyone know how to cancel an ebay bid? I just bidded £3 for a cowboy outfit and I'm minutes away from owning the Labour Party".

To be fair though, it could be any of the parties.

On a serious note, I believe Rory Stewart would have been a good guy to unite the country, I understand why the Cons faithful didn't favour him over Boris but I believe he could have united both sides of the Brexit divide.

Starmer isn't everyones cup of tea but he'd be a much better proposition than Cat Weasel imho...

13 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

There will never be anything democratic about remain.........until the democratic decision to leave the EU is delivered!

I fear you are going to be bitterly disappointed.

6 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

From facebook: "Does anyone know how to cancel an ebay bid? I just bidded £3 for a cowboy outfit and I'm minutes away from owning the Labour Party".

To be fair though, it could be any of the parties

You've got that right.

6 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

On a serious note, I believe Rory Stewart would have been a good guy to unite the country, I understand why the Cons faithful didn't favour him over Boris but I believe he could have united both sides of the Brexit divide.

Maybe the conservatives didn't favour him because, deep down he was always a Lib Dem at heart. As for uniting the Brexit devide, you are entitled to your opinion.

Edited by Newbie to this

31 minutes ago, oowee said:

Ah, confusing Affordable Housing with the Starter Homes scheme that was pretty much scrapped in favour of other initiatives, like Help to buy schemes and ISAs etc.

They've got to make sure the house builders are well supplied with Ferraris and yachts, otherwise they might not get out of bed in the morning!!

There is no profit for developers in building affordable homes, so they employ someone to find a way legally, to avoid doing so!.......They are businesses, not a social service!..........It’s a bit like the difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance....loopholes!

Governments don’t build houses, nor do many (if any?) Local authorities! private developers do! But......local authorities give planning permission, if they fail to compel the private Development companies to build a specified proportion of affordable homes, that is the failure of the Local authority not the government!...........And many local authorities are not Tory, but  Labour controlled! 

You might be interested in this so much more to life.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/homes-england

In a former life I worked on Prescotts 60K house building project. The aim to build houses for £60k which turned out to be an easy target. Unfortunately (as they were advised at the start of the project) they would legally have to be sold at market value. At the time this was around £150k so a nice profit for UK plc. 

45 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I fear you are going to be bitterly disappointed.

Nah! I won’t be disappointed........I have long been resigned to the possibility that the traitors in Westminster, supported by the undemocratic remainers In the country would overturn democracy!........Or water down Brexit to such an extent, it will be a BINO!

Betrayed is a more appropriate word than disappointed.

5 hours ago, panoma1 said:

There is no profit for developers in building affordable homes, so they employ someone to find a way legally, to avoid doing so!.......They are businesses, not a social service!..........It’s a bit like the difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance....loopholes!

Governments don’t build houses, nor do many (if any?) Local authorities! private developers do! But......local authorities give planning permission, if they fail to compel the private Development companies to build a specified proportion of affordable homes, that is the failure of the Local authority not the government!...........And many local authorities are not Tory, but  Labour controlled! 

This. Many property developers buy land for development and apply to build the requisite number of properties they are allowed to, ( five if I recall ) before regulations oblige them to build a legislated number of affordable houses. They then squeeze in the five houses and then leave the plot a year or so ( when they can then reapply ) and then reapply to build another five. The property developer has then built ten very profitable houses on the same plot without building even one much less profitable affordable house. Sorted. 🙂

6 hours ago, panoma1 said:

I have long been resigned to the possibility that the traitors in Westminster, supported by the undemocratic remainers In the country would overturn democracy!

7 hours ago, henry d said:

That would make a great tattoo, speshully on a forehead!

I was wrong, that's the one, oak leaves, unfurling flag, lord Nelson enshrouded in mist repelling the foreign hordes...

54 minutes ago, henry d said:

I was wrong, that's the one, oak leaves, unfurling flag, lord Nelson enshrouded in mist repelling the foreign hordes...

Not for the first time, you seem confused?.........this time between standing up for the democratic process and nationalism :lol:

18 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Nah! I won’t be disappointed........I have long been resigned to the possibility that the traitors in Westminster, supported by the undemocratic remainers In the country would overturn democracy!........Or water down Brexit to such an extent, it will be a BINO!

Betrayed is a more appropriate word than disappointed.

There is nothing undemocratic about being a remainer.

11 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

There is nothing undemocratic about being a remainer.

If a remainer is advocating overturning the democratic result of the referendum before it is delivered......they are! And it is!

Edited by panoma1

2 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

If a remainer is advocating overturning the democratic result of the referendum before it is delivered......they are! And it is!

How long is the average remainer, who despite being against the notion accepts that it was a democratic decision, supposed to wait before they start questioning the merit of something that seems like a false promise?

23 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

How long is the average remainer, who despite being against the notion accepts that it was a democratic decision, supposed to wait before they start questioning the merit of something that seems like a false promise?

Two things wrong with that statement. 

The first is that many, not all, but many remainers do NOT accept the democratic decision, many still believe that the people who voted leave were swayed by prejudice, ignorance or hate. This is clearly evidenced with the various groups, MP s and companies with vested interests, who actively strive to reverse the vote. 

The false promise? 

Those very people above, have used the false promise excuse, that THEY have directly caused, to make the concept of Brexit seem impossible! 

They cry 'Brexit can't be achieved!' as they actively campaign to block it, in any way they can. 

Like some kind of perverse self fulfilling prophecy. 

The sad thing is, they truly believe in their contempt, that the peasants can't see what they're doing. 

33 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

from what I witnessed - about 1 second after the referendum result was announced!!

But they are not “questioning the merit” are they! They are trying to overturn the democratic vote by stopping Brexit! Remainers do not know what the future will hold for the UK post brexit any more than brexiteers do! So how can they conclude it seems “a false promise”..........remainers were anti Brexit before the referendum, they have never stopped trying to overturn it...so your question asking how long are remainers “supposed to wait before they start questioning the merit” is not relevant!