BREXIT

JohnfromUK

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Demonic69 said:

They want control over our regulation so they can skew the markets in favour of their pet projects,

Keep telling yourself that. It'll make the mess that this government are about to make of things easier to swallow.

Incidentally, if the EU is such a handicap, what's this all about? https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/14/angela-merkel-under-pressure-spend-germany-record-budget-surplus

2 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Keep telling yourself that. It'll make the mess that this government are about to make of things easier to swallow.

That's basically what your quoted article was about, did you read it differently?

3 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

This is something the EU is supposed to prevent, not exactly fair trade if one country is getting into a huge surplus. Germany are also not spending it, not meeting agreed commitments (Like NATO spending at 1.5% not the agreed 2%) and the surplus is becoming a big issue both at home and abroad.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/04/germanys-massive-trade-surplus-is-becoming-toxic-ifo-director-says.html

But yeah, well done the EU, clearly not favouring their German overlords as some would have you believe...

7 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Incidentally, if the EU is such a handicap, what's this all about? https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/14/angela-merkel-under-pressure-spend-germany-record-budget-surplus

Do you read the Guardian? that might explain a lot about where you get your point of view

1 minute ago, Newbie to this said:

Keep telling yourself that. You never know it may come true, like the rest of the remainer scaremongering :hmm:

AFTER the UK has left the EU and AFTER the transition no-change window has expired, we'll see who's been scaremongering. As I've said before, I genuinely hope I will be proven wrong. But right now, I can see nothing but a major economic train smash in the offing.

1 minute ago, Demonic69 said:

his is something the EU is supposed to prevent, not exactly fair trade if one country is getting into a huge surplus.

Couldn't agree more.

1 minute ago, Vince Green said:

Do you read the Guardian?

Sure, quite a lot. It's free and the articles come written in paragraphs. Do I agree with the overall sentiment behind the paper? Well, I was banned for my constant criticism of how they skew the news, so probably not. 

But this notion that 'if it's in X paper, I'm going to dismiss it out of hand' is ludicrous. There are articles that are worthy of consideration all across the political spectrum, from far right to far left. And it's the reader's job to judge each on its merits rather than just dismiss something out of hand because of where it appeared. That's a very self-defeating approach.

4 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Sure, quite a lot. It's free and the articles come written in paragraphs. Do I agree with the overall sentiment behind the paper? Well, I was banned for my constant criticism of how they skew the news, so probably not. 

But this notion that 'if it's in X paper, I'm going to dismiss it out of hand' is ludicrous. There are articles that are worthy of consideration all across the political spectrum, from far right to far left. And it's the reader's job to judge each on its merits rather than just dismiss something out of hand because of where it appeared. That's a very self-defeating approach.

FWIW (very little on here) I agree with the vast majority of what you say and appear to be predict and I admire your persistent "banging head against the wall".

In other news, whilst I've not followed the full details of the story but believe Boris may be advocating crowd-funding to raise the finances to ring the bells in Elizabeth Tower to commemorate our "leaving" the EU on 31st Jan - just wondering if this is an insight into what "getting back control" and "making Great Britain great again" post Brexit actually means?... 

1 minute ago, Raja Clavata said:

In other news, whilst I've not followed the full details of the story but believe Boris may be advocating crowd-funding to raise the finances to ring the bells in Elizabeth Tower to commemorate our "leaving" the EU on 31st Jan - just wondering if this is an insight into what "getting back control" and "making Great Britain great again" post Brexit actually means?... 

I see it as a way of gauging public opinion on how much the public want to hear those bells.
Whats the bill , £500k ?
Now what if that target was met via crowdfunding REALLY quickly?

I suppose at the end of the day it wont matter if they ring or not, but a bit of show of patriotism never hurt anyone did it ?
Unless of course you are the EU , who refer to it as the 'dangers' of nationalism.

27 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I bet the Indy loved quoting that as "Fact"

The PM's official spokesman said there was not a "specific government fund" to meet the costs, but added: "If the public wants Big Ben to bong and the money is raised, then that is great."

Or would you prefer to moan about the waste of tax-payers money?

3 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

The clapper needs replacing and some structural work completing before it can ring apparently! Someone must have made a mint flogging the old clapper!

Give me £150 and a good night out in London “Chuck in a free train home” and I will pop down with a 15lb sledge hammer and ring the damn thing for them :yes: 

29 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I see it as a way of gauging public opinion on how much the public want to hear those bells.
Whats the bill , £500k ?
Now what if that target was met via crowdfunding REALLY quickly?

I suppose at the end of the day it wont matter if they ring or not, but a bit of show of patriotism never hurt anyone did it ?
Unless of course you are the EU , who refer to it as the 'dangers' of nationalism.

No problem with a show of patriotism, personally I'd like to see more of it. And whilst as you know I'm not a great fan of Brexit, I do think ringing the bells would be deemed appropriate by those who are proponents.

29 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

I bet the Indy loved quoting that as "Fact"

The PM's official spokesman said there was not a "specific government fund" to meet the costs, but added: "If the public wants Big Ben to bong and the money is raised, then that is great."

Or would you prefer to moan about the waste of tax-payers money?

Pretty sure Boris actually mentioned the crowd funding on TV.

I would have thought it would have come from the same fund as the commemorative 50p Brexit coin?

47 minutes ago, muncher said:

How the hell does it cost 500,000 to ring a bloody bell!

One suspects gouging for unplanned works by the contractor.  And, whereas in the real world, the contractor would've been told to go away and reconsider his prices, or face the prospect of no future work, likely as not the powers that be simply rolled over and accepted the price.

29 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Bit like being in the EU then ?

Beat me to it! It’s all part of what I believe Boris called ‘Bung a bob for a Big Ben bong!’ which really made me chuckle yesterday morning! That’s what we need, a PM with a sense of humour! 😀