BREXIT

JohnfromUK

8 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

It's significantly different to May's deal. This deal allows us after the transition period to just leave if we so desire. May's deal had us trapped in the backstop.

NI sacrificed? Maybe but then again we're going to lose it to Eire eventually, a generation or two at most.

0merkel.jpg

And that post sums up the myopic vision of Brexit. What a sad world it is. 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, oowee said:

Boris could resign. 

Interesting article on the news of a shortage of EU workers to do the seasonal work on farms. 

UK students, people on job seekers, just because they say 'seasonal' workers are not coming over doesn't mean there is a shortage of bodies that could do the work.

It is a sad fact that people in this country, mainly the young, seem to think they are owed something and live of mumsie and daddy... I'm not exactly old and I'd like to say I've not hit middle age yet, but I started work at 15 whilst still at school, and worked even when studying for my diplomas etc. Paid my own way. I'd pick apples if it meant I could go out on a Saturday night for a few pints.. 

grant,merkel already is leader of the 4th reich and the eu (behind the scenes) Germany is in recession and needs our input of cash or the whole house of cards will tumble.I f our leaders /eu lapdogs wanted to honour the vote they could have done so but the EU needs our cash and the german car makers our market it is all about saving german economy as they are the "powerhouse "of the EU and Merkel is the fuhreur

14 minutes ago, armsid said:

grant,merkel already is leader of the 4th reich and the eu (behind the scenes) Germany is in recession and needs our input of cash or the whole house of cards will tumble.I f our leaders /eu lapdogs wanted to honour the vote they could have done so but the EU needs our cash and the german car makers our market it is all about saving german economy as they are the "powerhouse "of the EU and Merkel is the fuhreur

This is the written equivalent of the Nazi salute at a football match. Hardly appropriate do you think? Come back when you have a more mature viewpoint. 

23 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

UK students, people on job seekers, just because they say 'seasonal' workers are not coming over doesn't mean there is a shortage of bodies that could do the work.

It is a sad fact that people in this country, mainly the young, seem to think they are owed something and live of mumsie and daddy... I'm not exactly old and I'd like to say I've not hit middle age yet, but I started work at 15 whilst still at school, and worked even when studying for my diplomas etc. Paid my own way. I'd pick apples if it meant I could go out on a Saturday night for a few pints.. 

Pretty much the same here. As a student I worked in M&S from 0600 to 0830 then Uni. 

How can we get the fruit and veg picked if the EU workers wont come over and our home grown labour does not want to do it?. 

NI sacrificed? Maybe but then again we're going to lose it to Eire eventually, a generation or two at most.

Don't bet on that for all sorts of reasons, organising  that would make Brexit look like a walk in the park. One the Irish government don't want it, taking on half a million discontented loyalists, cost etc etc. 

7 hours ago, oowee said:

How can we get the fruit and veg picked if the EU workers wont come over and our home grown labour does not want to do it?. 

Either we have to change people's viewpoints and show people the value of both money and work ethic, or as most things these days, invent or employ machines, I'm sure being near me bud you've seen how Thatchers pick their cider apples. No people involved. 

10 hours ago, oowee said:

This is the written equivalent of the Nazi salute at a football match. Hardly appropriate do you think? Come back when you have a more mature viewpoint. 

Pretty much the same here. As a student I worked in M&S from 0600 to 0830 then Uni. 

It’s not a question of “home grown labour” not wanting to work! The EU workers, to which you refer are mainly single and Eastern European, they will work for a few quid an hour in the UK, which is high pay in their own country! This forces wages down in the UK, to a level a UK worker with a family and a mortgage (🤣 joke!) couldn’t afford to live on! So financially they cannot apply for such jobs!.....All migrant workers do is put more money in the employers pocket, at the expense of our homegrown workforce!......cheap labour, that’s really why a lot of MP’s prompted by the EU and employers who employ migrant workers are remainers!

Better pay and consequently a better life....that’s why so many migrants risk everything to come to and work in the UK......and will continue to be encouraged to do so, all to the financial benefit of employers and to the detriment of our “home grown labour!

2 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

It’s not a question of “home grown labour” not wanting to work! The EU workers, to which you refer are mainly single and Eastern European, they will work for a few quid an hour in the UK, which is high pay in their own country! This forces wages down in the UK, to a level a UK worker with a family and a mortgage (🤣 joke!) couldn’t afford to live on! So financially they cannot apply for such jobs!.....All migrant workers do is put more money in the employers pocket, at the expense of our homegrown workforce!......cheap labour, that’s really why a lot of MP’s prompted by the EU and employers who employ migrant workers are remainers!

Better pay and consequently a better life....that’s why so many migrants risk everything to come to and work in the UK......and will continue to be encouraged to do so, all to the financial benefit of employers and to the detriment of our “home grown labour!

So..... how do we get the fruit picked? The EU workers don't want to come and locals don't want to do the work either? Just leave it until the price for picking goes up or get the axe out?

5 minutes ago, oowee said:

So..... how do we get the fruit picked? The EU workers don't want to come and locals don't want to do the work either? Just leave it until the price for picking goes up or get the axe out?

Let them come and pick the fruit. 

Just don't top them up with tax credits and child benefit to the tune of more than they actually earn, as they don't earn enough to pay tax, they are a net loss to the country. 

In other news, even the guardian rubbishes Labour position on the EU being the guardian of workers rights. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/24/eu-workers-rights-capital-multinationals

FB_IMG_1571996960206.jpg

11 minutes ago, oowee said:

I was commenting on your generalisation, that home grown workers don’t want to work.....when it’s often just not true!....... its more often the fact that home grown workers can’t take these jobs, because they can’t provide for themselves and their dependants on the low wages on offer!

Edited by panoma1

24 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

I was commenting on your generalisation, that home grown workers don’t want to work.....when it’s often just not true!....... its more often the fact that home grown workers can’t take these jobs, because they can’t provide for themselves and their dependants on the low wages on offer!

We are talking about seasonal work. 

As we go forward with Brexit we will have to look at increasing efficiency and reducing costs. We must surely be looking at lower wages as we increase competitiveness hence the importance put on removing caps on workers rights from the current deal. If as is predicted we look to move to the US model of production labour rates, and rights together with benefits will be critical elements. 

7 minutes ago, oowee said:

As we go forward with Brexit we will have to look at increasing efficiency and reducing costs. We must surely be looking at lower wages as we increase competitiveness hence the importance put on removing caps on workers rights from the current deal. If as is predicted we look to move to the US model of production labour rates, and rights together with benefits will be critical elements. 

Why? 

Why do we have to increase competitiveness and efficiency? 

Why the issue with workers rights? 

And why this obsession that we are going to adopt US practice's? 

Literally NO ONE in government has said any of this, its all the spouting of labourites, because they literally cannot think of anything else to say about it. 

We are going to hand over the NHS to the Americans, No we are NOT. 

We will have to take their poisonous chickens, No we are NOT. 

Pathetic nonsense, from the nonsense party, with no more tricks left up their sleeves. 

31 minutes ago, oowee said:

We are talking about seasonal work. 

Which is double talk for naked greed! The rich employer gets richer, by paying their workers less whilst demanding more productivity for it!......workers rights and benefits just get in an unscrupulous employers way!.......

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Yet you posted this generalisation?

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Here`s our local fruit/veg farm who pay top dollar and have little problem with recruitment of EU nationals