BREXIT

JohnfromUK

22 hours ago, das said:

Tweet seen yesterday regarding a 55 minute delay at Schipol passport control. The tweeter seemed to blame Brexit and this was apparently jumped
upon by thousands of remoaners with the usual cack 'You wanted Brexit, now youv'e got it', 'Told you what would happen', 'You made the wrong choice' etc.

It transpired that the airport authorities were have a training day session for new passport check in staff and they apologised for the delay.
I took exactly the same time at Geneva last year when Brexit wasn't what it is today.

Doesen't take them long to get excited and hopeful what?

Was it training for Brexit by any chance? :lol:

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Looks like the French want to act tough in the next round of negotitions

They are partly trying (with some success) to deflect attention from various 'scandals' affecting the government hierarchy, and also their hugely unpopular pension reforms they are trying to get through and meeting lots of opposition from the Gillets Jaune and the lefties.  Fishing will be the hottest battle front.  They want to steal our fish.

They're so used to plundering the UK's money and resources, they are outraged and can hardly believe the gravy train is about to stop. Like an abused partner that's finally had enough and got the courage to leave, the UK is about to gain new found courage and discover life is great again.

They're so used to plundering the UK's money and resources, they are outraged and can hardly believe the gravy train is about to stop. Like an abused partner that's finally had enough and got the courage to leave, the UK is about to gain new found courage and discover life is great again.

19 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

You can say that again 😁😁😁     😉

Back in the early days (early 1960s) the "Common Market" as it was then known spent 73% of its budget on subsidies to agriculture (The Common Agricultural Policy, CAP) - of which the French was the main beneficiary.  Indeed France insisted on the CAP before signing up to free trade in other goods.  Until about 2005, French agriculture was one of the really BIG beneficiaries, but since the EU has taken on many more countries, France has benefited less.

On 16/02/2020 at 11:10, panoma1 said:

The positive is..........we’re out! Democracy has prevailed!

Indeed. In the abstract I would of course agree that the prevailing of democracy is a good thing. I was hoping you'd have a list of positive tangible effects of this although I concede it's still early days.

At least you are not citing the recruitment of Andrew Sabisky and his views on compulsory contraception in order to prevent a permanent underclass as a positive. I don't know how true the reports are but this is precisely the kind of thing I was referring to previously when suggesting that Brexit could be the thin end of the wedge...

Hopefully Deputy Prime Minister Boris will swiftly stamp the above kind of nonsense out.

2 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Hopefully Deputy Prime Minister Boris will swiftly stamp the above kind of nonsense out.

I think (hope) I misunderstand; - instead of compulsory contraception to prevent the 'underclass' having offspring - you want Boris to stamp on them? 

Edited by JohnfromUK

Just now, JohnfromUK said:

Back in the early days (early 1960s) the "Common Market" as it was then known spent 73% of its budget on subsidies to agriculture (The Common Agricultural Policy, CAP) - of which the French was the main beneficiary.  Indeed France insisted on the CAP before signing up to free trade in other goods.  Until about 2005, French agriculture was one of the really BIG beneficiaries, but since the EU has taken on many more countries, France has benefited less.

Indeed.

Regarding the fishing rights, some people seem to overlook the fact that a lot of UK fishermen sold their quotas to counterparts in various other European states. I don't know the terms of such sales but if they were on a perpetual basis then I'd expect these foreign fishermen would be looking for compensation?

Just now, JohnfromUK said:

I think (hope) I misunderstand; - instead of compulsory contraception to prevent the 'underclass' having offspring - you want Boris to stamp on them? 

No John, I'd like to see Boris stamp on the **** that suggested such measures...

Slightly skeptical that you genuinely misinterpreted my point but apologies if I was not explicit in the first instance.

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

Indeed.

Regarding the fishing rights, some people seem to overlook the fact that a lot of UK fishermen sold their quotas to counterparts in various other European states. I don't know the terms of such sales but if they were on a perpetual basis then I'd expect these foreign fishermen would be looking for compensation?

As I understand it they didnt buy the right to fish in an exclusion zone. the quotas were for fish in the EU waters....but its a very complicated business..😕

53 minutes ago, islandgun said:

As I understand it they didnt buy the right to fish in an exclusion zone. the quotas were for fish in the EU waters....but its a very complicated business..😕

Yes that's what I understand but I have no personal experience. I have several aquaintences now who are/were  Cornish fishermen.As I understand it the EU paid them to decommission their boats and took back the quotas. But decommissioning then took a twist, the EU insisted the boats were broken up so they weren't able to repurpose them.

The eu has been and always will be a project that the French think they own and have total control. I remember how peeved they were when the block decided English should be the official language at not French. Then they have the totally farcical system where the whole stupid circus has to up sticks from Brussels and move Strasbourg.  

You can bet your last euro that the French will want total control of the negotiations and insist any deal will be to their benefit and will not care one jot if other EU countries are disadvantaged.

Like other posters have said they have milked the system for years, had more money out than anyone else with the insane common agricultural policy.