Sulfasalazine - Arthritis drug?

mgsontour

1 hour ago, muncher said:

Yes, I was put on this and it made me quite ill, completely took out my immune system. That was my findings but other may do well on it.

Thank you, it seems high powered stuff and appreciate your comments and understand everyone reacts differently but real life experiences like yourself clear up the smoke-screens and always listen and usually take heed

1 hour ago, mgsontour said:

Hi all, has anyone got any experiences or comments on Sulfasalazine an Anti-inflammatory drug for arthritis? Thanks in advance

Oh, yes! I could hardly breathe and My GP packed me off to the hospital as a pulmonary thrombosis was suspect, but it turned out to be a reaction to the drug. For info', I was given a choice between the Sulfa' and Methotrexate. I said to the arthritis doc' that I obviously picked the wrong one. She replied that I hadn't as if I had had that reaction with the Sulfa', then I didn't need to know what the Meth' would have done. All this was after I was taken off the initial Hydroxychloroquine as this turned me bright red from neck to ankles. Been on the Pred' several times while the doc's work out what to do next and in fact I have my appointment later this PM. Problem is, when they checked me over for the blood clot they found something in my lungs which wasn't there a little earlier when the arthritis was diagnosed. It's possible that the Sulfa might have caused what they think could be ILD. None too clever. Let's see what happens this PM.

I was diagnosed with RA just before I turned 38, was put on combination therapy which was hydroxychloroquine, Sulfasalazine and methotrexate.  Ultimately the only thing the sulfasalazine did for me was make my pee very yellow due to the dye in the drug.

There are of course side effects with all drugs and all of the DMARD drugs are fairly potent, however if making a considered decision on the efficacy of a drug I would seek to look at more than the opinion of a few folk on Pigeon Watch.  Millions of people use and have used sulfasalazine and the vast majority of those do not suffer ill effects, but benefit from the disease modifying benefits of the drug. 

Regrettably with my experience of the disease I now need to inject myself with both Methotrexate and Enteracept each week, I wish it could be managed with sulfasalazine alone.

Methotrexate - I'm on it in a small dose each week to supress the symptoms of severe Eczema...  I believe Metho' is actually a cancer drug that was discovered to have interesting side effects in other conditions - Eczema and Arthritis being just two.   Not good for the liver though so regular blood tests - was weekly at the beginning for me, now every three months - I can only get prescribed by a hospital consultant - the GP can't even do repeat prescriptions.   

Edited by Cosmicblue

3 hours ago, mgsontour said:

Thank you all and sounds great fun, think I'll stay using the drink as a numbing agent but wish you all the very best as it's a nasty condition!!

I used Naproxen for two years and got on very well with it, but I would say that I don't have it very badly. The problem was it's now deemed bad for you so I now don't take anything as my symptoms are very mild at the moment. 

Edited by muncher

11 hours ago, muncher said:

I used Naproxen for two years and got on very well with it, but I would say that I don't have it very badly. The problem was it's now deemed bad for you so I now don't take anything as my symptoms are very mild at the moment. 

My treatment consists of 2 to 3g of over the counter NSAID's with 2g of vit C and drink a lot of water decreasing after 2 days, also use ice/heat alternating to increase blood flow around the joint. . . . . this has pretty good results so think I'll continue for now and avoid those fantastic array of high powered drugs as long as possible

I got on well with ibuprofen for years combined with nexium to protect my stomach and to help with reflux which I also suffer. Unfortunately I have been prescribed a beta blocker that can't  be taken with ibuprofen now. I swapped to Aspirin two x 300mg twice a day which seems to be helping lessen the arthritis inflammation and can be taken with this beta blocker.