are doctors allowed to charge for sgc renewal

mikky

new legislation states i have to download a form regarding my medical info,the doctor has to fill it in and give it me back

when i rang the practice i was told there would be a fee for the service

is this common practice and are the doctors allowed to charge a fee...if so where does the money go to

mikky

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mikky said:

are the doctors allowed to charge a fee..

Fraid so; its an admin fee for the GP to examine your records and produce the required letter. Home Office guidelines state the applicant pays. I would think the money goes to the practice. Its becoming common practice & its only a matter of time before all Police forces jump on the bandwagon.

Could be worse, some GPs will not sign these letters.

Edited by JJsDad

14 hours ago, mossy835 said:

mine wanted £20 i never paid.

I am minded to do this, ie not pay, but what happens next time? Does the practice keep a record of my not paying and simply refuse to comply with any future request. That would mean having to find another GP and in rural areas they are thin on the ground! 

1 hour ago, Boristhedog said:

Does the practice keep a record of my not paying and simply refuse to comply with any future request.

The practice of County Police Forces requiring a letter from the applicants GP is spreading and the Home Office has ruled that it is the applicant who pays.

Like any other business, I expect Health Practices will keep a record of bad debts and will either go through the small claims court to get their money or refuse to provide a letter next time around.  £20 is a small fee to pay when some non-NHS practices are charging between £75 - £100. Refusing to pay seems a bit blinkered when in 5 years time you are going to need to go through the same procedure again.

7 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

how do you stand at renewal time, will you have to change doctors?

You are faced with a stark choice. Change GP or approach a non-NHS practice who advertise they provide this service. You will need to obtain a print of your medical records and attend a consultation. Costs vary, but they exceed the £20 - £25 normally quoted by NHS GPs.

Edited by JJsDad

50 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

So how do you stand at renewal time, will you have to change doctors?

Currently Humberside aren’t doing the whole mandatory input from your GP rigmarole which is lucky for me. However when I started an application through Lincolnshire that do have to have records from your GP I was told I would have to change docs. 

8 hours ago, Boristhedog said:

I am minded to do this, ie not pay, but what happens next time? Does the practice keep a record of my not paying and simply refuse to comply with any future request. That would mean having to find another GP and in rural areas they are thin on the ground! 

at the time witch was 2 years ago,with avon @ somerset if they did not here from my doctor in 3 weeks then it all went a head, and i got it,if it gets to silly like its going, i wont bother to renew.

Edited by mossy835

38 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

they want to get the ones with no licence,not  law abiding people like us,they want none of us to have guns,

That’s the problem. The scroats with illegal guns are sometimes difficult to find but us law abiding types....they know where we are and can ignore guidance as they see fit to make it increasingly more difficult for us. 

23 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

My GP just refuses to do anything with regards to firearms licensing regardless of cost. Stating they are contentious objectors to gun ownership. 

The way around this is to obtain a free copy of your medical history then to send it to a Doctor willing to verify and sign providing of course nothing in there causing a problem. For about £100 they will sign for you.

5 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

The flip side of deliberately creating hurdles for FAC holders is that SOME value their ticket more than the crimes they won't commit because of it.

If they lose that restraint they will be more likely to offend/re-offend.

🙂 Must admit, getting my tickets has kept me on the straight and narrow. That and becoming a parent anyhow.

Not having any didn’t stop me shooting, but being legit’ does have its advantages which go some way to outweighing it’s disadvantages. 

11 hours ago, old man said:

The way around this is to obtain a free copy of your medical history then to send it to a Doctor willing to verify and sign providing of course nothing in there causing a problem. For about £100 they will sign for you.

No their would never be anything causing a problem, as you have the printout so simply retype it leaving out what you like after all the willing GP will have never met you so will not know any different. Or you could just get online access to your medical records and save/edit them prior to printing them so then no need to get a free copy.  Don’t forget to thank the willing GP and tell him your see him again in five years.

And society can sleep easy knowing they are much safer because a nutter does not have a gun.

Oh and if by some miracle the police do at some time during the five years realise you had an illness that the willing GP should have told them about then nothing to worry about after all that was the GPs error not yours as you don’t even get a copy of what the GP summits to the police how did you know he made an error.

lots of good reading at

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/threads/basc-response-to-firearms-licensing-guidance-consultation.172195/page-25