are doctors allowed to charge for sgc renewal

mikky

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone that has not read the proposals or BASC's response or taken a few minutes to email the Home Office their view here are a few key points.

If the government approves these proposals this could result in:

• a potential loss of tens of thousands of firearms owners over the next 5 years with serious knock-on impacts on businesses
  • the creation of a multi-million pound medical record checks industry funded by the shooting community with no benefit to that community or to public safety
  • mandatory GP involvement in firearms licensing being rolled out nationwide with no safeguards in place to protect applicants from GPs refusing to take part or charging extortionate fees
  • police interviewing applicants’ neighbours on their suitability to own guns thereby putting certificate holders at risk
  • police seeking credit or other financial tests on applicants and considering debt as a factor in decision making.

The Home Office proposals are neither evidence-lead nor fit for purpose. The proposals will encourage police forces in England, Wales and Scotland to continue to make up their own rules and this will be largely to the disadvantage of firearm owners. Existing and prospective firearms owners will be treated poorly and will be regarded as people who may be dealt with in any way that the police or doctors wish.

Please email firearmsconsultations@homeoffice.gov.uk with your views!

For more information visit: https://basc.org.uk/firearmsconsultation/

On 05/09/2019 at 20:25, rbrowning2 said:

No their would never be anything causing a problem, as you have the printout so simply retype it leaving out what you like after all the willing GP will have never met you so will not know any different. Or you could just get online access to your medical records and save/edit them prior to printing them so then no need to get a free copy.  Don’t forget to thank the willing GP and tell him your see him again in five years.

And society can sleep easy knowing they are much safer because a nutter does not have a gun.

Oh and if by some miracle the police do at some time during the five years realise you had an illness that the willing GP should have told them about then nothing to worry about after all that was the GPs error not yours as you don’t even get a copy of what the GP summits to the police how did you know he made an error.

lots of good reading at

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/threads/basc-response-to-firearms-licensing-guidance-consultation.172195/page-25

It’s also worthwhile remembering that none of what is proposed would have prevented Ryan, Bird or Hamilton from doing what they did. 

If I recall, the GP of Atherton who shot his partner, her sister and her daughter, and then himself, had informed his licensing authority of his drink problems prior to them returning his guns to him after seizing them.

You couldn’t make it up. 

On 05/09/2019 at 12:03, Superposed said:

Yes they can, it is non NHS work so free market/private work over and above.

They can charge what they like, this can typically range from £10 to many hundreds of £.

Likely to become compulsory soon, there is a Home Office consultation currently underway for all new grants and renewals for all.  

i cant get my GP to do any NHS work for me even though he getting paid for it:hmm:

Edited by andrewluke

just spoke to my  gp to see if he had filled in the form that you download,apparently he might not be signing it off because the police have not had any discussions with gmp doctors

he doesnt see why he should declare me fit to own a gun if he only sees me once a year regarding a medical offer.

he doesnt want to put his name to anything that might get him into trouble somewhere down the line

he wont let another doctor in his medical centre sign it either

does anyone know a private gp that will sign me off when i get my medical records,i spoke to gmp firearms today and without they will not accept my renewal.

if i cant find one that will be 50yrs off shooting gone.

can transfer my guns to my mate and go when he goes,its not the same....so my old lanber and my beretta 682 gold will be up for grabs

mikky

r

16 minutes ago, mikky said:

just spoke to my  gp to see if he had filled in the form that you download,apparently he might not be signing it off because the police have not had any discussions with gmp doctors

he doesnt see why he should declare me fit to own a gun if he only sees me once a year regarding a medical offer.

he doesnt want to put his name to anything that might get him into trouble somewhere down the line

does anyone know a private gp that will sign me off when i get my medical records,i spoke to gmp firearms today and without they will not accept my renewal.

can transfer my guns to my mate and go when he goes,its not the same....so my old lanber and my beretta 682 gold will be up for grabs

mikky

r

I would be changing to another medical centre in your case. It's all so wrong 🤬

25 minutes ago, mikky said:

mikky

r

I would ask GMP what they recommend you do.

1 hour ago, mikky said:

You have got a choice. Either change your GP to a practice that is prepared to take you on based on your post code; and will provide the necessary letter. This is what I have recently had to do.

Altenatively, there are a number of non-NHS practices across the country who will (with a print out of your medical records) provide the letter; at a cost !  Google is your friend and you should be able to locate such a practice in your area.

Edited by JJsDad
Removed link which doesnt work.

2 hours ago, mikky said:

mikky

r

The fact though is that he isn’t signing you as fit to own a gun, he is stating that there is nothing in your medical history which prevents you from applying for a SGC. There is a difference. 

I’d be interested to learn what the police have asked him to base his decision on. 

no he wouldnt recommend any other gp to sign it

looks like i will have to make google my friend

the police are not bothered its his decision,they are not interested in his reasoning,its his personal decision not to do it,and he is perfectly within his rights not to get involved,basically its go and find someone who will sign you off,

the fit to own a gun remark was by him,even if he knows my medical history is fine...he thinks if i go off the rails say two years from now his name and practice will be connected by default.i think thats what he is really worried about,not knowing what might happen down the line

7 minutes ago, mikky said:

no he wouldnt recommend any other gp to sign it

looks like i will have to make google my friend

the police are not bothered its his decision,they are not interested in his reasoning,its his personal decision not to do it,and he is perfectly within his rights not to get involved,basically its go and find someone who will sign you off,

the fit to own a gun remark was by him,even if he knows my medical history is fine...he thinks if i go off the rails say two years from now his name and practice will be connected by default.i think thats what he is really worried about,not knowing what might happen down the line

Are you a member of a shooting organisation? 

well spoke to my GP he has refused point blank to sign my medical history form and he wont be signing anyone else forms either so thats me done now cant be ***** jumping through hoops anymore,my mate will put the on his ticket for now till i decide either i want to keep them ( on his ticket ) or sell them either way there will be bratton sound 7 gun cabinet with lock top up for grabs....end of an era...suspect i wont be the last one....mikky