Maxam powder for 410?

Dazv

55 minutes ago, figgy said:

Have a look on the maxam site they have all the data you need.

They are not good on 410 data, unless i am missing something?

They have 1 example (which i suspect is the old Rio loading) of 12grains ssb150 with 19grams lead giving just short 0f 1050 bar.

However both eley (was vectan sp3) and rio have now switched to gsb146 for their 18/19g 3 inch loads which i suspect in rio case will be to reduce pressure.

Edited by Stonepark

Trouble is the powder they switch to will be comercial powders and not available to us public.  Have a look on YouTube Dave Carrie on .410 a fella he knows uses one and loads all his own game carts. Iirc he uses lilgun or longshot said it's the best powder.

Clay game list a few in their data sheets. .410 uses slow burn powders so most steel powders will have a recipe but not cheap to use. The data for a lot of the recipes is slow speeds not what you want.

Edited by figgy

Cartridge companies, cannot call their powder the same if it changed in recipe otherwise the materials safety data sheet would be wrong and they could leave themselves open to being sued. Indeed whilst a powder company may make a powder up for a cartridge company upon request this would not be named the same today, 50 years ago may have been different.

my understanding is that ssb150 and gsb146 are repurposed NATO powders made in bulk and therefore have to be to a set standard.

Slow burn powders does not equal slow speeds, it means higher speeds for a lower pressure which is what you want for 410 loads due to the innate higher pressure of the smaller guage.

If some one has any new eley 3 inch, it would be interesting to do a strip of a cartridge to get case (cheddite?), primer type (maxam g1000 ) powder load, wad column height and shot load as a starting place.

On 04/09/2019 at 09:55, 222mark said:

Maxam psb2 is ok for .410, but is coarse grained. You  are better with a ball powder  such as  Vectan sp3, Winchester 296 or H110. Even using these powders there's a massive saving on factory prices and all three are superb. 

I have been using SP3 now for three years for my 3 inch 18.7g loads based on Folkestone Enginnering load data.  I shoot only 410 and usually 20 -25 driven days a season with a few days on the pigeons. If I do my part these loads appear to do theirs. Once you have all the kit paid for then it is much cheaper loading your own.    SP 3 flows very smoothly, in fact you have to be very careful handling it as it is like quick silver, but it is great for loading into small mouth cases.  I use fibre wads.  Folkestone details say 19g but I find that 18.7 of 7s just fills a Fiocchi cae to allow a tidy crimp.  Basically 3 or 4 pellets max, less. I finish all my loads with a GAEP spinner as well.

If you can source SP3  then I can highly recomend it.

The data on Folkestone  site is a good starting point.

I seem to have found 12gr of sp3 ,over card wad,12mm wad and a pat pending "Wlalkerdipper" worth of shot 

is just what I require in a 3" case . (again around 18.5  - 18.7g of shot)

Also found that in my case dropping from #5 to #6 on the Folkstone recipie works much better for me.

As fired cases get trimmed the wads need adjusting to keep the shot consistant.

On 04/09/2019 at 09:16, Stonepark said:

Cartridge companies, cannot call their powder the same if it changed in recipe otherwise the materials safety data sheet would be wrong and they could leave themselves open to being sued. Indeed whilst a powder company may make a powder up for a cartridge company upon request this would not be named the same today, 50 years ago may have been different.

Beg to differ, B&P didn't rename any of their powders or cartridges after the explosion...or for the 10 years after they rebuilt their factory.

Same with NSI powders produced by Lovex and renamed afterwards for retail sale. I bought Sipe and Tecna comemrcially and they're coded differently to their retail powders and also differently to NSI powders.

It is also not uncommon to find retail powders differing substantially from lot to lot, yet the name is the same. Vectan are renowned for it. Maxam did the good thing and rename their PSB adding a + to differentiate (PSB2 become PSB+2).

Back to the OP, not sure psb2 is right for .410, light loads maybe. SP3, 410, lil gun are best suited for 15-20g loads. SSB 150 might do but not seen data yet.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I am using P.B. Clermont powders for .410 bore.

The codes are #659*and #736** but I believe this is 'factory nomenclature' for 65mm 9 shot (14g) and 73mm 6 shot (16g) because Clermont powders have PCL codes. Example PCL512.

*flattened ball

**ball powder (looks like H110/W296)

Edited by Floating Chamber

I am still shooting a very slightly modified version of the Folkestone Engineering recipe for 3 inch shells, I just slightly dropped to 18.7g of shot to their 19g  ok it is only two three bits of #7 shot but i found I could just get a better crimp. AMAZINGLY !!!!!   Things still keep falling out of the sky and I cleanly killed a crossing partridge last week at I guess  45yrds with witnesses (ask Richard Gray)and it cleanly killed a number of good pheasants this week.  SP3 is available if you shop around and is the perfect powder for 410 as it meters and flows well. I individually weigh both powder and shot for my loads which I feel is necessary for 410s. OK takes just a ittle more time but you get better results.