A new knife project, and its SHINY!

Miroku_Dave

Started another knife at the weekend, got round to putting the bevels in tonight. 

I heat treated and tempered prior to the bevels going on, I’ve found it gives a much crisper line although you have to keep it cool, basically I’m dipping it in water after every pass! 

I’ve Ground it using 30 grit belts to remove steel and then all the grits up to 400! I’ve got a really old belt that’s smooth as silk now which is probably about 800 grit now 🤣

i finish on a cork belt with some polishing compound, it’s an absolute god send! 

Ive epoxied a handle on it tonight, it’s Caribbean Rosewood, I think it’s going to sand up quite nicely.

I’ve used a bit of antler, I made a little lanyard bead with a brass tube in it, I will do an antler handle soon!! 

Hope you like it 😎🔪👍

D8D67AD1-D57B-4F9F-9E47-2339CECB69C9.jpeg

5778222A-7527-4D25-9CA3-B4FEA94563C2.jpeg

A0F85163-630A-48AD-ACEB-96BC44FE3ADE.jpeg

A0CAE72D-0C4D-4122-92F5-D5345FA507C7.jpeg

i see you have a much shallower angle on the cutting edge.....it looks fine..:good:...............the small knives in you other thread had quite a steep angle...

when i get back to knife making im tempted to do a single one sided skandi grind...almost like a shushi knife...it would be for a cutting only knife.......

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i see you have a much shallower angle on the cutting edge.....it looks fine..:good:...............the small knives in you other thread had quite a steep angle...

when i get back to knife making im tempted to do a single one sided skandi grind...almost like a shushi knife...it would be for a cutting only knife.......

I discovered the small knives were way too steep and an absolute ****** to sharpen. I learned a bit of a lesson there! 

I like the idea of a one sided one, looking forward to seeing that 👍

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

You mean a chisel grind?  If it's for you Ditchman and your right handed make sure you grind the bevel on the right or left obviously if left handed. Other wise you will find it wont cut straight. Sounds like a load of bo**ox I know but it be true.

2 hours ago, fatchap said:

You mean a chisel grind?  If it's for you Ditchman and your right handed make sure you grind the bevel on the right or left obviously if left handed. Other wise you will find it wont cut straight. Sounds like a load of bo**ox I know but it be true.

you are sooo right............when i was thinking about it....i thought.." if im making it for someone i will have to ask them for their hand size and which hand they use their knife"

cause if it is wrong ...it simply wont work and could be dangerous...as with that grind it will be seriously wicked sharp

you know excactly where im coming from :good:

Finished it up tonight and I’m pretty chuffed with it! Chuffed enough to send it off for a custom sheath before I sell it 🤣

its Caribbean Rosewood with 2 mosaic pins and a brass lanyard tube. It’s scarily sharp and I’ve added a leather lanyard with my little antler bead. 

I honestly think this may be by best one since a started this hobby in April. 

560C4EDD-4C78-48AA-8527-BD1B12EED3C7.jpeg

F43D973E-5B04-4185-B331-39D441D08BAE.jpeg

85B930AD-7292-48C6-BA9E-9D7515ED8AAF.jpeg

847BFEBD-80DA-481B-B9D1-F5B6B1B956D2.jpeg

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

That's come out very nicely in the end! Well done.

MD what are the dimensions please?

Overall length?

Blade length?

Blade width?

Hi Mate, 

Its 185 mm overall, the blade length is 85 mm with a cutting edge of 72 mm and handle length of 100 mm.

Its 4 mm  8670 carbon steel.

I've just sent it off for a sheath making and then I will raffle it off on my Facebook group, unless i fall in love with it and keep it :-) 

This is my own design so I do make a few of these.

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Thank you it really is VERY nice!:good:

you know what he is angling at..:lol:...............he's like a bloody magpie ...anything shiny:lol:

(i must say it is your best yet....and the rivets match the handle )

Edited by ditchman