.22 hornet questions

Evening all 

I’m picking up a .22 hornet this week that I plan to load for. 

Im already familiar with loading as I load for several other calibers. 

When researching the hornet I’m a bit lost as there’s so much varying advice on expanding the neck before seating the bullet then crimping afterwards. Any firstbhand advice or experience is greatly appreciated. 

Jamie 

2 hours ago, beanieboy said:

I find a slight flare really helps when seating flat base bullets like the 35g Vmax. I also give my reloads a gentle crimp. I am currently experimenting with Lilgun loads from 12g-13g to see which groups best. My rifle is the Weihrauch HW60j.

This.

loaded .22 Hornet for 24 years, now using 35 gun V max and Lilgun. Started at 12grn and tried up to 13grn in .1grn steps. My rifle liked 12.5grn best, consistently under .5 min of angle. Rifle is Brno zkw465 made in 1958.

I have no idea where this expanding the neck comes from. For my money, avoid this and as the neck is very thin, keep any work in this area to an absolutely necessary minimum. Also, I prefer to use (when loading this calibre) a decent seating die - namely - a Forster Bench Rest.

Also again, Beanieboy has reminded me. Before I got the Ruger No1 with its 1 in 14 twist through which I can use 50g bullets, I had a JM 60 Weihrauch. This is no more than just a heads up really The bullets I use in the Ruger are Hornet types so no problem. However, with the Weihrauch I did "fiddle" with various bullets of the varmint V Max type variety, If you should try these, just keep a weather eye on the pressure. I can't be certain as having been tipped the wink by a PW member regarding the Ruger, I sold the Weihrauch before reaching any conclusions. While fiddling but well within the given LilGun maximum limit I was getting over pressure warnings - it was the Nosler 40g in particular - these weren't excessively serious, but notable in view of the relatively low end charge level and a little inattention could have made things considerably worse very quickly. As said, I reached no conclusion as I sold the rifle, but I started to question the use of this type of bullet in a gun for which they weren't intended. Have a look at the profile of a 40g Hornet type bullet and also a 40g Nosler. A quick measure and calculation will reflect that the area of each which is being driven by the barrel lands is greater in the Nosler. I had started to wonder if this increased area and possible increased resistance was a problem, but then got no further. As said, no more than a heads up.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

I have no idea where this expanding the neck comes from. For my money, avoid this and as the neck is very thin, keep any work in this area to an absolutely necessary minimum. Also, I prefer to use (when loading this calibre) a decent seating die - namely - a Forster Bench Rest.

Also again, Beanieboy has reminded me. Before I got the Ruger No1 with its 1 in 14 twist through which I can use 50g bullets, I had a JM 60 Weihrauch. This is no more than just a heads up really The bullets I use in the Ruger are Hornet types so no problem. However, with the Weihrauch I did "fiddle" with various bullets of the varmint V Max type variety, If you should try these, just keep a weather eye on the pressure. I can't be certain as having been tipped the wink by a PW member regarding the Ruger, I sold the Weihrauch before reaching any conclusions. While fiddling but well within the given LilGun maximum limit I was getting over pressure warnings - it was the Nosler 40g in particular - these weren't excessively serious, but notable in view of the relatively low end charge level and a little inattention could have made things considerably worse very quickly. As said, I reached no conclusion as I sold the rifle, but I started to question the use of this type of bullet in a gun for which they weren't intended. Have a look at the profile of a 40g Hornet type bullet and also a 40g Nosler. A quick measure and calculation will reflect that the area of each which is being driven by the barrel lands is greater in the Nosler. I had started to wonder if this increased area and possible increased resistance was a problem, but then got no further. As said, no more than a heads up.

Brilliant info, I’m not really adventurous as far as trying different bullets etc. Goes so I’ll be sticking to the hornet types, but every little helps! 

I’ve been looking at bullet weights and can’t decide between the 35gr or 40g bullets, any pointers? 

56 minutes ago, keeper96 said:

Brilliant info, I’m not really adventurous as far as trying different bullets etc. Goes so I’ll be sticking to the hornet types, but every little helps! 

I’ve been looking at bullet weights and can’t decide between the 35gr or 40g bullets, any pointers? 

I would imagine that if you wanted something to shoot at long distance, you'd have bought a 223 or 22-250. Or, if you wanted something to shoot flat, a 17 Hornet. Really, the advent of LilGun has changed the fortunes of the 22 Hornet. Having said that if you go below 40g, then it's not ideal and there are better alternatives. The only bullet smaller than the 40 that I can think of off hand is the V Max at 35g but its BC is appalling. Beyond 150 yards this starts to make itself felt and I don't use them. My oppo swore by them but has now had second thoughts and as we both use the calibre for fox he's now changed. There are some half decent 40g available, but the calibre was designed about 45g and as there is a fair selection of these, it sort of makes sense to start with them. My preference is the Hornady Hornet which over 12.8gr of LilGun in a fire formed case gives me 2867 ft/sec. However, I don't use these all of the time (but would if I had to) as I mainly use the Hornady 50g SPSX. However, this is only through a fire formed case (charge volume/loopy trajectory) and for a full length resize or new case, the 45g comes out to play and in the new or full length resized case I get 2792 ft/sec from 12.4 gr. One other advantage of the Hornet type bullet is that you tend to avoid the problem of the made up round not fitting into the magazine - a problem I don't have.

Finally, to avoid unnecessary work on the neck, should it become necessary to nudge something back into shape because it's tight in the chamber, collet size as normal and then use a Redding Body Die. These can be adjusted so that the case in effect remains fire formed, just nicely fitting into the chamber. Good investment even though they rarely have to be used.

6 hours ago, wymberley said:

I would imagine that if you wanted something to shoot at long distance, you'd have bought a 223 or 22-250. Or, if you wanted something to shoot flat, a 17 Hornet. Really, the advent of LilGun has changed the fortunes of the 22 Hornet. Having said that if you go below 40g, then it's not ideal and there are better alternatives. The only bullet smaller than the 40 that I can think of off hand is the V Max at 35g but its BC is appalling. Beyond 150 yards this starts to make itself felt and I don't use them. My oppo swore by them but has now had second thoughts and as we both use the calibre for fox he's now changed. There are some half decent 40g available, but the calibre was designed about 45g and as there is a fair selection of these, it sort of makes sense to start with them. My preference is the Hornady Hornet which over 12.8gr of LilGun in a fire formed case gives me 2867 ft/sec. However, I don't use these all of the time (but would if I had to) as I mainly use the Hornady 50g SPSX. However, this is only through a fire formed case (charge volume/loopy trajectory) and for a full length resize or new case, the 45g comes out to play and in the new or full length resized case I get 2792 ft/sec from 12.4 gr. One other advantage of the Hornet type bullet is that you tend to avoid the problem of the made up round not fitting into the magazine - a problem I don't have.

Finally, to avoid unnecessary work on the neck, should it become necessary to nudge something back into shape because it's tight in the chamber, collet size as normal and then use a Redding Body Die. These can be adjusted so that the case in effect remains fire formed, just nicely fitting into the chamber. Good investment even though they rarely have to be used.

Thanks, I’ve got the .243 for distance and have got the hornet as an everyday wander about rifle. 

Thanks for the info on bullets and loads!