How old is this cartridge?

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me. We found this in East Sussex, covered in dirt & rust. After a good soak we managed to scrape enough of it off to read the writing. 

It says ELEY-KYNCH 28 ICI 28.

I'm intrigued to see how old this cartridge is, it appears someone has drilled holes into it at some point. 

I'd be grateful if anybody knows anything about this. 

20190904_172431.jpg

20190904_172401.jpg

20190904_172418.jpg

11 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Is the correct answer, 2" mortar propulsion system. That has been fired and removed from the base of the bomb.

untitled.png

The inability to put two and two together as you get older is painful. I simply can not remember how many of those that I tripped over some 65+ years ago. Would there have been an inert - apart from the propulsion system - training version or was the system used on other devices - possibly flares/smoke?

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Mortar bombs 2" had several different fillings mainly smoke or for illumination.

The 3" were the explosive ones.

Most mortars were powered by adapted shotgun cartridges of various sizes as were Ejection Seats.

Many thanks, I simply can't remember.

We say, "The Common" meaning, "Woodbury Commons" but many if they're old enough will say "Dalditch Camp".

More than once on A Monday morning after the weekend's visit when on the way to primary school I'd hear my name called and turning, see the village bobby. He'd ask what I had this time and I'd have to show him and give a fully detailed answer. Then he'd ask if it was safe and if I said it was, then it was a finger waggled in the direction of the school indicating that I should go with "I'll be seeing your father" ringing in my ears. Father always knew I had it and both he and Mr Plod always knew exactly whatever it was was.

21 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

That’s a bit optimistic TC 😂

good thread though always wondered how to get them to work 😀

all I need is some 2 inch pipe and........

I happened to have some rather nice Russian 12 bore mortar charges and the extension bags that were wrapped around the tube to get them to go a little bit further, but they are long gone now.

21 hours ago, ditchman said:

bloody facinating the ammount of knowledge on PW

Totally agree. I always wondered how they were propelled.

Like Wymberley, I often stumbled across mortar bombs on the beach and cliffs as a kid, but the procedure then was to contact the local Bobby who would then get the bomb disposal squad to come and blow them up. Great to watch.

However, the procedure if you trod on one was to throw yourself up fifty feet in the air and deposit your body parts over a large area :yahoo:Thanks Blackadder.

OB

In the 70's I had the misfortune of standing on a mortar bomb whilst paddling on the beach.

Luckily it was a spent smoke mortar but standing on the fins in bare feet , with all my weight was a delightful experience similar to standing on a 3 pin plug.

There was loads of stuff on the beach. I had an unepxloded Anti Aircraft shell which I swapped for 2 sets of batman cards 😕

Edited by Robertt

6 hours ago, Robertt said:

In the 70's I had the misfortune of standing on a mortar bomb whilst paddling on the beach.

Luckily it was a spent smoke mortar but standing on the fins in bare feet , with all my weight was a delightful experience similar to standing on a 3 pin plug.

There was loads of stuff on the beach. I had an unepxloded Anti Aircraft shell which I swapped for 2 sets of batman cards 😕

Lucky, could have been a lesser weever, that's always fun.

On 04/09/2019 at 18:29, kj3004 said:

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me. We found this in East Sussex, covered in dirt & rust. After a good soak we managed to scrape enough of it off to read the writing. 

It says ELEY-KYNCH 28 ICI 28.

I'm intrigued to see how old this cartridge is, it appears someone has drilled holes into it at some point. 

I'd be grateful if anybody knows anything about this. 

20190904_172431.jpg

20190904_172401.jpg

20190904_172418.jpg

The mice and the mice are crazy about powder, plastic having deposited some cartridges in a shed frequented by these small animals, I found the cases pierced in the same way