Annoying

Scully

Always have a plan B. Fortunately we have a good place for brambles that can`t be easily cut as it is against a pump house, the cherries, blackcurrants and wild rasps have been poor this year, hopefully the walnut tree will be good this year as there are not many fruits but the sizes are good.

7 minutes ago, oowee said:

I always have a race for the Slo's I try to wait for the first frost but the farmers often get in first. 😞 

Having said that the sooner they cut my hedges the better 🙂 

Never a shortage of sloes. You don’t need to wait for the frost; as long as they’re ripe just shove em in the freezer if you want them to split.

1 minute ago, Scully said:

Never a shortage of sloes. You don’t need to wait for the frost; as long as they’re ripe just shove em in the freezer if you want them to split.

Agreed. In an area where others take sloes get out there whilst there are some and simply freeze them overnight.

We have sloes, bullace and damsons here. Today's strong wind may have dislodged a few.

13 minutes ago, henry d said:

Always have a plan B. Fortunately we have a good place for brambles that can`t be easily cut as it is against a pump house, the cherries, blackcurrants and wild rasps have been poor this year, hopefully the walnut tree will be good this year as there are not many fruits but the sizes are good.

We have a plan B as we have a large garden with apple trees, walnut and pears. There are plenty of hedgerows left; just some of my favourites have gone. They were laden with fruit. Just annoyed to get home and find them all gone. 

Just now, JDog said:

Agreed. In an area where others take sloes get out there whilst there are some and simply freeze them overnight.

We have sloes, bullace and damsons here. Today's strong wind may have dislodged a few.

What are bullace? 

55 minutes ago, Scully said:

This time of year the OH and me are often out gathering brambles and rose hips. Got home tonight to see most of the hedgerows around home have been mown. All brambles and rose hips now gone. 😕

Muppetry. 

Gathering brambles?? Are you meaning the blackberries?.

we went out last week three tubs and barely filled one!! We didn't go far but there wasn't much fruit really.

Why would the farmers cut hedges at this time of year? What about food for the birds?

" You don’t need to wait for the frost "  Well who knew, I have always waited until late October at least.  Recently noticed them looking very ripe, but thought I should wait a few more weeks.  Big, purple and black varieties near me here in Stockton on Tees.  Never sure whether the black glossy ones are just the purple ones with the bloom rubbed off.

31 minutes ago, figgy said:

Wife mentioned couple days ago about going picking wild fruit

Figgy, down past The Tavern, Station Road, the fields behind the newish houses.  I have around 20 Kg of brambles (from all over) in the freezer waiting for the wine bucket and honey for the metheglin.

Also crab apples, sloes and hazelnuts galore.  Elderberries ready too.  Some of the hazelnuts are so large I wonder if they are not Cobb nuts.  Must resolve that one ( if any one has a foolproof way of differentiating the two I would appreciate it).

Apples are my next target as I have a cider making licence and a friend has a descent scratter and hydraulic press.   We got about 2,000 liters last year.  It is messy, hard, work but I like flat, sharp cider, so no problem.  I always mean to bottle and sell it to local "Artisnal" pubs, but end up drinking most myself.

Even if you don't pick the fruit, the fields are still full of wild flowers and bees and butterflies,

RS

20 minutes ago, Mice! said:

we went out last week three tubs and barely filled one!! We didn't go far but there wasn't much fruit really.

Why would the farmers cut hedges at this time of year? What about food for the birds?

Yes, blackberries. The hedgerows are laden ( or were !) around these parts, despite them being a little later than last year. 

I’m not sure it is the farmers; the two I met coming home appeared to be Council contractors? 

9 minutes ago, Mice! said:

They can start hedge cutting the beginning of September right up to march. They try and get the field hedges done asap after combining before they plough and drill the stubble so they dont have to drive on the fresh plough and compact the soil. I've got 10kg of last years sloes and 6kg of last years blackberries in the freezer from a spot where they havent cut the hedges in years! There was probably another 30kg I couldn't reach 12ft in the air! But the hedges look a bit barren this year. One tree/bush I have noticed running riot this year is the Rowan. All the rowans I've seen are bright orange full of fruit. I believe you can make them into a jelly but I've never tried.

Contrary to what we thought in the spring our orchard is heaving with fruit and I shook the bullace tree (the only way to find the really ripe ones) and gathered  enough for 11 lbs of jam and a good double handlful for the sweet jar and 2 litres of vodka..added a double handful of dark brown sugar as well.  Lots of pears so will be making some pear vodka as well as soon as they are ripe. 

Apple and rowan jelly is awesome with all game meats.

Edited by Walker570

6 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

" You don’t need to wait for the frost "  Well who knew, I have always waited until late October at least.  Recently noticed them looking very ripe, but thought I should wait a few more weeks.  Big, purple and black varieties near me here in Stockton on Tees.  Never sure whether the black glossy ones are just the purple ones with the bloom rubbed off.

Figgy, down past The Tavern, Station Road, the fields behind the newish houses.  I have around 20 Kg of brambles (from all over) in the freezer waiting for the wine bucket and honey for the metheglin.

Also crab apples, sloes and hazelnuts galore.  Elderberries ready too.  Some of the hazelnuts are so large I wonder if they are not Cobb nuts.  Must resolve that one ( if any one has a foolproof way of differentiating the two I would appreciate it).

Apples are my next target as I have a cider making licence and a friend has a descent scratter and hydraulic press.   We got about 2,000 liters last year.  It is messy, hard, work but I like flat, sharp cider, so no problem.  I always mean to bottle and sell it to local "Artisnal" pubs, but end up drinking most myself.

Even if you don't pick the fruit, the fields are still full of wild flowers and bees and butterflies,

RS

Sounds good. A mates mother ( she is a recognised expert, and fondly known as ‘ the Apple lady’ ) has a press, and we once pressed a lot for cider ( the pulp goes to her cattle and chickens ) but we mostly do it for juice and vinegar now.

There was a place local to me famous for hazel nuts and I have fond memories of picking them by the bagful as a kid, with my Dad. Haven’t been for years! 

There is a lot of crab apple trees on an old disused railway which goes through our shoot, but nobody picks them which is a great shame, but the Rose Hip syrup we made last year was a fabulous success; I plan to make much much more this year ( and maybe not give quite so much away this time!) .I love it on my porridge! 🙂

In Lancs everything has been out for a while but just plumping up now. . . . . Damson gin for elevens on the bonnet of the Landi with a pork pie while discussing which guest guns can actually shoot from the first couple of drives. . . . it's been a long summer, yet some younger folk ain't got a clue about the finer things in life

2 hours ago, oowee said:

I always have a race for the Slo's I try to wait for the first frost but the farmers often get in first. 😞 

Having said that the sooner they cut my hedges the better 🙂 

i had sloe whiskey once.....very nice but you use green sloes........

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Contrary to what we thought in the spring our orchard is heaving with fruit and I shook the bullace tree (the only way to find the really ripe ones) and gathered  enough for 11 lbs of jam and a good double handlful for the sweet jar and 2 litres of vodka..added a double handful of dark brown sugar as well.  Lots of pears so will be making some pear vodka as well as soon as they are ripe. 

Apple and rowan jelly is awesome with all game meats.

Her good self has been mentioning rowan and apple jelly for the last couple of months . You're the only person that I've ever known to eat it , I'll be looking forward to it now 👍

In the 70's where I grew up, in Northumberland,  they tended to cut all the hedges  May to June !

There were punctures galore on the country roads with all the thorny twigs flying about !

Absolutely hammered the birds nests.

I dont remember when they changed. But they dont do it now because of the nest damage. 

Edited by mickyh

15 hours ago, Scully said:

We have a plan B as we have a large garden with apple trees, walnut and pears. There are plenty of hedgerows left; just some of my favourites have gone. They were laden with fruit. Just annoyed to get home and find them all gone. 

What are bullace? 

When do you pick your nuts? :blush:

I have sweet chesnut and hazel here. Hopefully I am squirrel free but they do seem to sneak in when I am out.