HP steel through 3/4 choke

Big Al

On 07/09/2019 at 21:14, Smiler23 said:

Has anyone/ know of anyone that has damaged the barrels while using steel through an un steel proofed gun choked more than half??

Yes a lad I go wildfowling with had a full choke barrel Beretta auto, 301 or 302 he put all sorts of fast steel through it in shot sizes from 4 to BB for a few seasons, had a problem with the action not cycling properly. Took it to his gunsmith and was told the choke part of the barrel had some score marks. Still used it for rest of season before buying a Browning auto. That's the only one I know of and due to inappropriate loads. No bulging just scoring.

Edited by figgy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, scarecrow243 said:

why does no one believe the gun makers if they say half choke with standard steel loads then if you dont and use heavy steel etc your insurance will NOT cover you in any instance  if i said you could fly off the high bridge if you close your eyes would you do it doh

It isn't a question of belief. I, and many other experienced wildfowlers have been using tight chokes with steel for years. If we were harming our guns, we wouldn't be doing it!

sorry but that does NOT mean squat  if you or anyone gets hurt because you or anyone else said yes mate i have used it in my gun with no problems so the person goes out and shoots steel thru his or her gun and gets badly hurt or killed how would you feel surly some common sense  should tell you not every gun is made with the same steel or proof testing, i worked in a gun shop years ago and seen a few guns in some blooming state with people giving the wrong advice one guy blu his new 20g  barrels by turning the choke inside out he got told its just like extended chokes

17 hours ago, scarecrow243 said:

why does no one believe the gun makers if they say half choke with standard steel loads then if you dont and use heavy steel etc your insurance will NOT cover you in any instance  if i said you could fly off the high bridge if you close your eyes would you do it doh

It's not really the same is it? Think about it. 🙂

10 hours ago, Maxus Hunter said:

Good to see u out again Al and yes some good shooting with the 525 as usual lol

Aahh but it was a different 525!

I've decided to keep the Grade 5 for pheasants and not put up steel through it any more. So I now have a Grade 1 for the hp steel!!

On 13 September 2019 at 08:37, Big Al said:

Aahh but it was a different 525!

I've decided to keep the Grade 5 for pheasants and not put up steel through it any more. So I now have a Grade 1 for the hp steel!!

I've always wondered if by using steel shot of various sizes and velocities through various chokes when the gun makers say you shouldn't means that you're relying on the proof safety margin. Having said that, it's the guys who are using them that know what's what. I could understand if you didn't want to get the salt water into the  grade 5 or generally damage it were the reasons that you're now going to keep it for the more sedate pheasant use. However, neither of these reasons get a mention, just that it'll not get fed any more steel shot. So, if as we're lead to believe there's no problem, why not just crack on? Or is there just that niggling little doubt?

On 08/09/2019 at 14:29, bishop said:

heard of a few AYA 10 bores with bulged barrels due to people being--well--just plain stupid putting very large steel thru full chokes

I heard those stories but i have never seen one, i have been putting BBB 4.83mm steel through my dads old AYA 10 since steel came in and its unaffected, and have tighter than full extended chokes in  sp 10 again no issues and i have shot T &f in that i do not understand what all the fuss is about as said its down to misinformation born out of  fear and ignorance in the early days.

On 14/09/2019 at 14:49, wymberley said:

I've always wondered if by using steel shot of various sizes and velocities through various chokes when the gun makers say you shouldn't means that you're relying on the proof safety margin. Having said that, it's the guys who are using them that know what's what. I could understand if you didn't want to get the salt water into the  grade 5 or generally damage it were the reasons that you're now going to keep it for the more sedate pheasant use. However, neither of these reasons get a mention, just that it'll not get fed any more steel shot. So, if as we're lead to believe there's no problem, why not just crack on? Or is there just that niggling little doubt?

Good point. Partly it's as figgy suggests - it's to easy to "ding" it in the hide. 

But another reason is that I'm afraid of a steel pellet or two getting between the wad and barrel wall.

The third consideration is that the Grade 5 is much looser than the Grade 1. The 3" steel loads are bound to be harder on a gun. I know that they can be tightened when that time comes, but I'm just keeping the "good" gun for "good" occasions!

18 hours ago, figgy said:

Big Al the gun can take it. The 425 wildfowling gun has 31/2" chambers.

I prefer a semi automatic for banging big loads through. Cheap to replace recoil springs etc. Rejointing guns is expensive.

I suppose I know that. It's also why I have the Benelli. Ho hum. 

No rational reasons.

2 hours ago, figgy said:

Big Al you could load 32g 4 duck loads in the 525 and 3" 36g or 38g 3 shot carts in the auto, grab whichever is most suitable for the shot.

I'm afraid I don't home load - I just use factory loads. 

I'll try to get the auto going next time. It's why I bought it!

I often see these discussions where heat is generated, due to both sides of the argument being right! The generalisations hide the detail though.

I believe that in most cases, steel is OK through tight fixed chokes and indeed very tight chokes once you get to extended aftermarket level. I also believe that there are some gun/choke/cartridge combinations that due to the geometry of the restriction and bridging nature of steel, can and do give problems.