HP steel through 3/4 choke

Big Al

On 04/09/2019 at 21:09, Big Al said:

I've just done something new. I've read the manual for my gun.

I own 2 B525s, a grade 1 and a grade 5 and when it comes to hp steel I've always stuck to conventional advice and used no tighter than half choke. 

However,  on reading the B525 manual, it seems that they advocate using hp steel through 3/4 invector plus choke also. Hmmm. News to me.

I was wondering if anyone in PW has used HP steel through the factory 3/4 choke. I'm tempted to try it on my first duck flight on Saturday. 

If you knock Invector + Browning Factory chokes, those supplied with your 525, down a degree of that stated you arrive at a more accurate figure for the constriction of that specific choke. Browning's 525 3/4 (Steel Full) is actually half choke by conventional measurement. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Uilleachan said:

If you knock Invector + Browning Factory chokes, those supplied with your 525, down a degree of that stated you arrive at a more accurate figure for the constriction of that specific choke. Browning's 525 3/4 (Steel Full) is actually half choke by conventional measurement. 

Is it? I didn't know that.

Are they all knocked down a level? I've never heard that before. Is the quarter a skeet?

The Browning DS chokes are a bit bigger than the standards for choke. Half in a DS choke is close to quarter choke. Didn't think the invector plus was the same. I'll have to check when I can be bothered.

Looks like Uilleachan could be correct, copy and pasted from a USA site.

When I checked my 12ga Invector-plus factory flush chokes with a bore gauge to determine the true choke constriction I found the following:
Skeet / .000" constriction
IC / .004" constriction
Mod / .012" constriction
IM / .018" constriction
Full / .031" constriction

i shoot Briley aftermarket extended in half and what Briley call extra full at 40 thou to me is only standard full choke. Means my half choke is probably more 3/8th than half.  

Edited by figgy

On 21/09/2019 at 13:59, Big Al said:

Is it? I didn't know that.

Are they all knocked down a level? I've never heard that before. Is the quarter a skeet?

Yep, that indeed seems to be the case.

Bought some 2nd hand Teague Invector + chokes off of here a while back and began to notice the difference of travel using the Teague choke key. So whilst not as scientific as the exampled quoted by figgy above, by simply noting how much of the key will go into the aperture of the browning chokes, that shipped with the gun, versus the Teague invector + equivalent it was quite obvious that one was tighter than the other, despite both being marked with the same degree of restriction. 

2 hours ago, Uilleachan said:

Yep, that indeed seems to be the case.

Bought some 2nd hand Teague Invector + chokes off of here a while back and began to notice the difference of travel using the Teague choke key. So whilst not as scientific as the exampled quoted by figgy above, by simply noting how much of the key will go into the aperture of the browning chokes, that shipped with the gun, versus the Teague invector + equivalent it was quite obvious that one was tighter than the other, despite both being marked with the same degree of restriction. 

That is really good to know. Thanks Uilleachan.