tent frame

mel b3

hiya guys,

i know that its a bit unusual , but im looking for a tent frame , from a frame tent (the old steel tube type).

im looking to make a 7 x 4 tent , from very strong cammo nylon (think carport tent) .

ive trawled the net , but i cant find anything suitable , as the size is very important , so all that i can think to do , is make one myself.

thanks for looking guys :good:.

30 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

I’m sure there’s a old school plumber with a pipe Bender on here that’s near to you with a bit of help lm pretty sure you’re capable of cobbling up a frame 

best of luck with the project 

all the best 

of 

You shouldn't put ideas into my head , because now I have to buy a pipe bender 😅.

I could kick myself to be honest , I had everything that I'd need in my scrap pile , but in a moment of madness , I put just about everything out for the scrap man 😕. Your idea is definitely another avenue worth exploring nigel . Thank you 👍

Edited to add.

I've just remembered that I've got a couple of decent 4 man tents in the loft (fibreglass pole types), I'd be happy to do a swap.

Edited by mel b3

7 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, you can buy a range of ally/thin steel  tube fittings so no need for a pipe bender, 

I didn't know that , you wouldn't have a link to a suppliers would you please Gordon? .

A tent frame was my first though as it would be so easy to do , I'd just cut and join the poles to shrink it down to the size that I need.👍

53 minutes ago, Strongman said:

Have you considered scaffolding poles?

Ive used then for a job at work to make a frame up. You can get cheap used poles from sites on the internet and choose the fittings to suit the structure you are making? Just an idea!

I hadn't thought of that either Richard  .  Scaffolding would certainly do the job , but I'm not sure how I'd cover the joints etc ( the sticky out bits might wear through the cover), it's certainly given me another option to think about though mate . Would you have a link to somewhere that it could be bought please? , I tried to buy some second hand scaffolding a few months ago , but none of the local firms sell it.

59 minutes ago, snow white said:

Hi mel if you could explain what you want to do so of we on here might be able to help.👍

Morning tony , It's to make a toilet tent at the woodland , I'll make a strong frame ,and Lin will make a very heavy duty camo tent cover. It needs to be something that can stand up to winter weather, but can be taken down when needed.

An old tubular steel tent frame would be perfect , it would be very easy to just shorten the poles to the right sizes , and all of the angle joints will already be there.

31 minutes ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

I have used the poles from the enclosed trampoline’s that you see in everyone’s gardens for static hides.

Very strong, slot together and already galvanised against the weather, already have extra bolt holes for brackets etc, been using them 4 years plus and still as good as new.

That's another option that I hadn't considered , I see one or two of them put out for the scrap men 👍.

48 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

No no no

you need a proper wooden one

just work out if you want it to be a 3 or 5 hole one 😂😂😂

few planks posts and hole in the ground 

That's a very good idea nigel , I just can't see lin sitting their with four other people every morning 😅😅😅.

38 minutes ago, old'un said:

Blimey, I bet the ladies will love using that with the clear plastic covering!:whistling:

1167657.jpg

Mind you it would save on lighting and candles!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Addition of Image!