Tattoos, love them or loathe them ?

Old Boggy

No doubt that many on PW have had the odd tattoo done over the years and the modern trend seems to be to cover as much of the body as possible. Some of the artwork is amazing, but I do wonder in years to come when and if they fade or lose their appeal, whether those people will regret having had them done.

There is a guy in our area with a full facial tattoo known locally as 'The Lion Man' due to having his entire face to look like a lion, complete with long hair to simulate a mane. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but if this guy came to me for a job, particularly involving working with the general public, I would be very hesitant in offering him a post, for fear of frightening people. Perhaps this would be regarded as discrimination, but this is my view.

I personally cannot see the attraction, particularly on young females, but can appreciate the skill involved in some (not all) that I've seen. In years to come, can they be removed once the obvious novelty/trend has worn off ?

Tin hat firmly in position :whistling:

OB (Founder member of 'The Grumpy Old ***s Club').

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i often thought about 1 but never got 1 done, to be honest its quite refreshing to see normal skin at times as everyone and his dog seems to have them  , a few  mates have some good ones but for the money they've spent I could buy a decent new gun ,seen a few horrors too as I pick my daughter up from school some of the trogs up there like to show them off and to be honest a 5 year old doodling with crayons and paper could have done a better job ,the whole tat thing had past me by now , im not against them though

1 minute ago, sam triple said:

Edited by sam triple

19 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

No doubt that many on PW have had the odd tattoo done over the years and the modern trend seems to be to cover as much of the body as possible. Some of the artwork is amazing, but I do wonder in years to come when and if they fade or lose their appeal, whether those people will regret having had them done.

There is a guy in our area with a full facial tattoo known locally as 'The Lion Man' due to having his entire face to look like a lion, complete with long hair to simulate a mane. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but if this guy came to me for a job, particularly involving working with the general public, I would be very hesitant in offering him a post, for fear of frightening people. Perhaps this would be regarded as discrimination, but this is my view.

I personally cannot see the attraction, particularly on young females, but can appreciate the skill involved in some (not all) that I've seen. In years to come, can they be removed once the obvious novelty/trend has worn off ?

Tin hat firmly in position 

OB (Founder member of 'The Grumpy Old G-i-t-s Club').

It's the odd ones that are most memorable!

TC (Provisionla member of 'The Grumpy Old G-i-t-s Club').

We have a tatto place by our work and the owners are great lads but I’ve noticed 9/10 lads that enter it are horrible nasty and violent. As soon as they get a sleeve they change :/ . I know not all but a lot do.

we have them park in our customer/staff parking and I ask in the nicest way not to but it’s like a danger to life. We only have 1 customer space and it’s scary just asking. 

My wife has a couple of small tats on her ankle , she loves them but I’m not keen. The common theme is kids names I’ve noticed

I have one that was tapped with a fishbone  .  The ink was ash and my urine.  The guy guy who did it put me in a trance and the pain was so great that I left my body for a minute.  He said I would have a vision but I just floated above my body and whatched it happen.    My grandma had a cabin on the Cherokee reservation so I got into some **** when I would visit. 

Edited by NoBodyImportant

6 minutes ago, krugerandsmith said:

A  "W " on each buttock when you bend over.  Wow!

Or a "B" if your name's Bob :yahoo:

19 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It's the odd ones that are most memorable!

TC (Provisionla member of 'The Grumpy Old G-i-t-s Club').

Only a 'provisional' member TC ?  Don't believe that for one minute :no: 

I've been collecting them for about 35 years now , mine are pretty much all personal to me ,and have meaning to me , some of them are good quality ,and some aren't, but they're still very personal. 

When I first started collecting tats , I was in the minority , but these days , just about everyone seems to be getting inked , I'm not so sure that fashion is a good reason to get a tattoo to be honest.

The right tattoo on the right woman looks fantastic, but , the wrong tattoo on the wrong woman looks absolutely awful.

The main difference between people that have tattoos and people that don't, is that people with tattoos, don't judge you for not having any.👍.

2 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I've been collecting them for about 35 years now , mine are pretty much all personal to me ,and have meaning to me , some of them are good quality ,and some aren't, but they're still very personal. 

When I first started collecting tats , I was in the minority , but these days , just about everyone seems to be getting inked , I'm not so sure that fashion is a good reason to get a tattoo to be honest.

The right tattoo on the right woman looks fantastic, but , the wrong tattoo on the wrong woman looks absolutely awful.

The main difference between people that have tattoos and people that don't, is that people with tattoos, don't judge you for not having any.👍.

I can quite understand people having them for personal reasons and have seen some absolute heart wrenching poems etc of lost loved ones tattooed and can fully understand that.

Also, I don't judge people that have tattoos, just wonder sometimes how they justify the expense against clearly other more important and needy things in their lives.

What I don't understand is the somewhat bizarre patterns that you see tattooed. What's that all about ? I'm clearly missing something here. Must be an age thing.

OB

8 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I can quite understand people having them for personal reasons and have seen some absolute heart wrenching poems etc of lost loved ones tattooed and can fully understand that.

Also, I don't judge people that have tattoos, just wonder sometimes how they justify the expense against clearly other more important and needy things in their lives.

What I don't understand is the somewhat bizarre patterns that you see tattooed. What's that all about ? I'm clearly missing something here. Must be an age thing.

OB

Sorry OB I wasn't having a dig mate 👍.

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

There are some lovely stories of badly executed foreign phrases being tattooed and then meaning other things when translated.

My brother had his ex wife's name tattooed in large letters across his shoulders , the tattoo removal was as painful and expensive as the divorce 😅.

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It's a PW tradition!

POOR TAT1.png

That's excellent 😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅

I had one done 35 years ago for passing out of Basic (White shops at Catterick) along with others - had to be above short sleeve length. Still looks good

I then had another 2 done about eight years ago - with my kids on one and my wife on another - both in places that can't be seen +90% of the time however I am thinking about going elsewhere and having them re-coloured - not so good as the first one.

I have no issues about people having them done (except for head and neck) and also that they are "decent" to be on full view (sleeves/hands)