Tattoos, love them or loathe them ?

Old Boggy

14 hours ago, KB1 said:

Comparing racist rhetoric to a Tattoo name is to say the least, extreme…….

I think it's also fair to say, that there is a modicum of ignorance in the understanding of peoples perceptions when it comes to the intentional meanings behind 'a name' depending on your generation etc.  For example, many people who get a tattoo on their lower backs actually ask for a 'Tramp Stamp'.  Many Tattoo artists advertise multiple 'Tramp Stamp' designs.  The internet is full of 'Tramp Stamp' paraphernalia……….  It's only derogatory if you view it in that way😳

I've never heard of anyone with such a tattoo refer to it as "A Lower Back Tattoo", but I've heard many refer laughingly to their own as a "Tramp Stamp', as it doesn't carry the label as attached by you🙄

One example: https://www.gettattoosideas.com/lower-back-tattoos/

You may not be PC or a liberal snowflake, but there are plenty out there and they would have called this one out a long time ago if it was in any way misogynistic…… 

It’s not extreme at all, it is simply an example to highlight that the widespread use of slang doesn’t make it OK.

Calling something a “tramp stamp” or “slag tag” is just lazy use of language and demonstrates people being hard of thinking.

The use of the phrase in this thread was pejorative, it was said with intent to disparage.”, ergo it is derogatory.

As I said earlier what annoys me is the ignorance behind the use of language, the belief that because something is said widely it makes it acceptable, it doesn’t. Widespread ignorance is still ignorance.

Everybody should be capable of showing some consideration of the consequence of what they write.  Language has power.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, grrclark said:

It’s not extreme at all, it is simply an example to highlight that the widespread use of slang doesn’t make it OK.

Calling something a “tramp stamp” or “slag tag” is just lazy use of language and demonstrates people being hard of thinking.

The use of the phrase in this thread was pejorative, it was said with intent to disparage.”, ergo it is derogatory.

As I said earlier what annoys me is the ignorance behind the use of language, the belief that because something is said widely it makes it acceptable, it doesn’t. Widespread ignorance is still ignorance.

Everybody should be capable of showing some consideration of the consequence of what they write.  Language has power.

Your last paragraph pretty much summed up most of the problems in modern society. 

15 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Your last paragraph pretty much summed up most of the problems in modern society. 

It certainly seems that way Mel, there is a non stop wave of emotionally charged invective that has replaced reasoned dialogue.

The really annoying thing is that when taken to task over that language many try to hide behind sophistry.  All that suggests to me they understand perfectly well what they said originally, so it is a calculated attempt at sewing discord.

That last point is not made in relation to this thread, just a general observation.

57 minutes ago, grrclark said:

It certainly seems that way Mel, there is a non stop wave of emotionally charged invective that has replaced reasoned dialogue.

The really annoying thing is that when taken to task over that language many try to hide behind sophistry.  All that suggests to me they understand perfectly well what they said originally, so it is a calculated attempt at sewing discord.

That last point is not made in relation to this thread, just a general observation.

Whats that then,,,,embroidery rage or simply carelessly used language ?

1 hour ago, grrclark said:

If I knew what sophistry meant ,I'd probably agree 😆.

In my personal opinion , the Internet is playing a massive part in the way that society is changing ,and being reshaped ,and the way that we act , and treat each other. Typing the words slag tag or tramp stamp,  seem to mean very little, but can you imagine standing at the bar in the pub and telling some bloke that his daughter has a slag tag , you'd be saying sorry with a lisp, because your front teeth would be missing 😆.

This post isn't having a dig at anyone on this thread , it's just my general musings.👍.

6 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

If I knew what sophistry meant ,I'd probably agree 😆.

In my personal opinion , the Internet is playing a massive part in the way that society is changing ,and being reshaped ,and the way that we act , and treat each other. Typing the words slag tag or tramp stamp,  seem to mean very little, but can you imagine standing at the bar in the pub and telling some bloke that his daughter has a slag tag , you'd be saying sorry with a lisp, because your front teeth would be missing 😆.

This post isn't having a dig at anyone on this thread , it's just my general musings.👍.

Haha sophistry is fallacious, specious or captious reasoning.  So much clearer now eh 😝😝

3 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Haha sophistry is fallacious, specious or captious reasoning.  So much clearer now eh 😝😝

I'm not stupid y know! .

Fallacious = large Todger. 

Specious = small todger. 

Captious  = huge lady parts.

You just had to get smutty didn't you 😆.

5 hours ago, grrclark said:

Language has power.

Michel Foucault agrees wholehartedly, from the grave obviously.

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

In my personal opinion , the Internet is playing a massive part in the way that society is changing ,and being reshaped ,and the way that we act , and treat each other. Typing the words slag tag or tramp stamp,  seem to mean very little, but can you imagine standing at the bar in the pub and telling some bloke that his daughter has a slag tag , you'd be saying sorry with a lisp, because your front teeth would be missing

Totally agree, it conditions what we say on a daily basis, as does the TV, but thankfully there are times when we can turn this around on those very platforms. The only problem is that due to the nature of `tinterweb any discourse is likely to have little to no face-to-face contact and loses a lot in translation as we can read a lot from body language and facial expressions so it can be a fools errand on a lot of occasions, but sometimes you just have to try and change these cultures a bit at a time.

39 minutes ago, Scully said:

I had to look up ‘sophistry’. 🙂

It’s a good word, describes about 98% of current political discussion.

50 minutes ago, henry d said:

Michel Foucault agrees wholehartedly, from the grave obviously.

Totally agree, it conditions what we say on a daily basis, as does the TV, but thankfully there are times when we can turn this around on those very platforms. The only problem is that due to the nature of `tinterweb any discourse is likely to have little to no face-to-face contact and loses a lot in translation as we can read a lot from body language and facial expressions so it can be a fools errand on a lot of occasions, but sometimes you just have to try and change these cultures a bit at a time.

I had to look Michel Foucault up, thanks for bringing him up.

Agree 100% on 2nd paragraph.

We are living through a “social” revolution where norm’s are being redefined in terms of our interactions and communication.

In many ways we are going backwards in our ability to reason and critically consider. In the older generations we are becoming increasingly dismissive, arrogant and insular (protective behaviour) and the younger generations are struggling with balancing reality and idealism. They have a much greater sense of world perspective than we did at a much earlier age, but that scale is overwhelming.

A fascinating big discussion, all in my opinion if course.

Some people do have some fantastic work done that is like art work, and I see people from all different classes and spectrum's with tattoo's these days. 

It does always puzzle me however when you see the typical cliche, that more often than not are the people who are the ones who complain that their benefits are not enough, there's no jobs out there, some foreigner took er jerbbbss, yet they have enough money to buy sky t.v. fags and booze etc and have full sleeve tattoo's costing thousands. Perhaps just something I see more often due to my line of work. 

Plenty of lads I went to school with are covered in tattoo's now, spent many thousands on full sleeves etc, are out 3-4 times a week on the drink, smoking, yet complain how unfair the country is and they can't afford to buy a house. 

I have nothing against tattoo's, but prefer to have the ££ in the bank to waste on other silly things I enjoy, like my dog or guns :) I think some people treat tattoo's much like fashion, just an accessory like the latest iphone, new trainers and all that, probably why so many people have these spiritual or tribal tattoo's now that have absolutely no connection to their heritage or culture or no idea what it means, and just pick it cos they think it'll make them look cool. 

2 hours ago, grrclark said:

I had to look Michel Foucault up, thanks for bringing him up.

Just don't read him, far too dense, read what someone has written about him. Not my words someone else's. His life and lifestyle had a lot to do with his theories, but his theories are interesting all the same.