Seriese 2A 1963

snarepeg

Wings, bulk head, split screen,middle section of chassis original. Front and back chassis modified and coil sprung,

DTI 300 engine andgearbox.

original tub etc

its been tax exempt for 12 years.

high lift kit fitted with heavy duty shocks, need  a box to stand on to get in. Not as agile at 84 but it's my last fling.👍😊

2 hours ago, snarepeg said:

Wings, bulk head, split screen,middle section of chassis original. Front and back chassis modified and coil sprung,

original tub etc

high lift kit fitted with heavy duty shocks, need  a box to stand on to get in. Not as agile at 84 but it's my last fling.👍😊

do you mean 300TDi....?

On 05/09/2019 at 21:31, ditchman said:

do you mean 300TDi....?

Yes.

300TDI with 380 gearbox, that's what's on the description on what's been done.

taxed yesterday no problem and had a good run in it.

the running gear is of a Range Rover, built by an enthusiast with engineering skills and electrics etc.

IMG_2740.JPG

On 05/09/2019 at 18:47, snarepeg said:

original tub etc

That doesn’t get enough points to qualify. Whether or not you’d ever get caught is another matter. It sometimes happens at overly keen mot stations or after accidents.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/rebuilt-vehicles

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/09/2019 at 10:26, snarepeg said:

Yes.

300TDI with 380 gearbox, that's what's on the description on what's been done.

taxed yesterday no problem and had a good run in it.

the running gear is of a Range Rover, built by an enthusiast with engineering skills and electrics etc.

IMG_2740.JPG

Where abouts does your gear-lever sit with the r380 box it must be a stubby box else the gear lever sits in the seat box or has the engine been moved further forwards and the propshafts altered I’ve got a series 3 109 as my daily driver and work truck and have a 300tdi ready to go in 

22 hours ago, 796 said:

Where abouts does your gear-lever sit with the r380 box it must be a stubby box else the gear lever sits in the seat box or has the engine been moved further forwards and the propshafts altered I’ve got a series 3 109 as my daily driver and work truck and have a 300tdi ready to go in 

Don't know anything about the rebuild, but gear lever sits central forward so maybe engine as been moved.?

fitted with a defender bonnet and front grill so some  extra room.

certainly an improvement on the 2.25.

19 hours ago, snarepeg said:

Don't know anything about the rebuild, but gear lever sits central forward so maybe engine as been moved.?

fitted with a defender bonnet and front grill so some  extra room.

certainly an improvement on the 2.25.

That’s how they gain enough room by putting a flat front in them and loosing the series recess

Far too much chassis work to remain on the original plate never mind tax and mot exempt.   I bet the only 2a parts left are the bulkhead, reg plate and vin plate and tbh the vin plate looks very new. Just double checked the link above and it should be on a  q plate. You see loads of Landys like this that are far too modified to remain on the original plate. Getting caught though is a different matter.lol

Edited by Lord O War

On 09/09/2019 at 12:00, SpringDon said:

That doesn’t get enough points to qualify. Whether or not you’d ever get caught is another matter. It sometimes happens at overly keen mot stations or after accidents.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/rebuilt-vehicles

I'm sure it can only be mot exempt if it hasn't been modified

yup all here

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/670431/vehicles-of-historical-interest-substantial-change-guidance.pdf

Edited by defender

On 29/09/2019 at 02:20, Lord O War said:

I bet the only 2a parts left are the bulkhead, reg plate and vin plate and tbh the vin plate looks very new.=

Does anyone remember the chap on here a few years ago who bought a "modified series" he eventually  posted a picture and it was clearly a bog standard Defender TD5! the only series bit of it was the VIN number and log book.

Not implying this is the case with the OP at all btw.

• 1 month later...
On 05/09/2019 at 17:05, scarecrow243 said:

no you will have to contact dvla   you may find you will be limited on how many miles you do a year

Sorry not true. Tax exemption is not limited mileage in the UK. Yet. Mind if we ever leave the EU we shouldn't get the limits they have on historical tax class. Historical tax is age related. Even though the road tax is free, you still need to tax it.

Classic insurance is commonly mileage limited. 

Have to agree and say that the landy in question doesn't look like it would keep the original reg as the engine, possibly the box and also suspension isn't original spec. It's a points system and the drive train is a big part of it. The chassis can't be altered either.

Landrovers are a bit of a favourite with what was VOSA (now DVSA). They often get picked on at shows. If qiestions get asked  they do know what they are looking at.

Q plates are massively disliked by insurance companies. 

Edited by Private Marker
Additional remarks

On 05/09/2019 at 18:47, snarepeg said:

original tub etc

Coil sprung!

If it gets checked by VOSA it will probably be seized and scrapped. It's an ongoing debate in LR circles about coil springs. Series Landies where never designed for coils only leaf springs. Therefore no type approval. The chassis has to be considerably modified. If you were involved in a serious accident and someone in the know examined your vehicle you would be in deep doo doo. Fortunately, it's not common knowledge amongst MOT testers or your average plod. You only need an MOT now on selling or transfer ownership. You can find much more information on the various LR forums, of which there are many. Try OLLR  old leaf sprung landrovers.

I've had a few old landies, love em. 

Don't  panic too much though, my mate has an old 60s series converted to coils, he's had it at least 12 years without anyone noticing.  It too has a 200 TDi diesel in, but running the series gearbox, RR axles and disc brakes. He's kept his tax free windscreen too😉

59 minutes ago, Private Marker said:

Centrepin I haven't heard anything about historic class needing an MOT for sale, is that a new rule? Plenty of vehicles that need an MOT get sold without one. I've bought MOT exempt vehicles in the past and not needed to MOT. 

As the MOT exemption is linked to the tax class it would be hard to police. 

I thought it was the law that on sale or transfer MOT exempt vehicles had to have a new test. I could be totally wrong as I used to voluntary test mine for piece of mind every year. I put a new test on mine on advice of the local garage on day of sale. They said it's to prevent illegal, stolen or ringed vehicles. Maybe he just wanted a last £20.00 from me as that's all he charges for MOT exempt. Sorry if I got it wrong, mine was a 59 series 2a, galvanised chassis and totally rebuilt to almost as original spec, except seats and rear bulkhead removed. 

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

I thought it was the law that on sale or transfer MOT exempt vehicles had to have a new test. I could be totally wrong as I used to voluntary test mine for piece of mind every year. I put a new test on mine on advice of the local garage on day of sale. They said it's to prevent illegal, stolen or ringed vehicles. Maybe he just wanted a last £20.00 from me as that's all he charges for MOT exempt. Sorry if I got it wrong, mine was a 59 series 2a, galvanised chassis and totally rebuilt to almost as original spec, except seats and rear bulkhead removed. 

Yes.

its MOTD and will be kept MOTd, 

love it, its quirky same same as me👍😊

On 02/11/2019 at 13:53, Centrepin said:

Sorry that sounds a bit of a line to me.